The History of Hunter Street
NORTH SIDE of Hunter Street,  # 2 to # 994 (Page2, H3)


A Historical Chronological List of
"Who was who in Business in downtown Hunter Street"
from before the turn of the Century, till now

 
Lost Hunter St.. Our story Continues

By, Spero Davias

(updated 17/04/2019)

A Historical listing by property number of the early businesses of Hunter Street, Newcastle.

  This project is continual work in progress
as I find more information, it will be added


If you are looking for my other project on the 
Greek Cafes of old Hunter Street 
Click Here



NOTES on the Hunter St Numbering System are at the end of this page.

Hunter Street has been divided into 2 sides, starting with the South side  followed by the North side

This is the NORTH SIDE
 OF HUNTER STREET (The Rail / Harbour Side)


The Highlights represent 
HotelCafePlace of Interest,  Night Club



<<<< Beginning on the NORTH SIDE OF HUNTER STREET and continuing west  >>>>
Harbor Side of Street,  Telford to Pacific St Block


2 Hunter St, The Vienna Cafe on the left with Hellenic Court on Right - 1976  (photo Ed Tonks)

2
Corner Hunter & Telford Sts Newcastle,  Built as The Wombah Flats in 1920
  • 1910-1920 - Charles Treleven, Wateman
  • 1920 - Built as the Wombah Flats in Telford Street
  • 1930 - The Vienna Cafe. The building was built in 1910, it was over the road from the California and on the corner of Hunter and Telford Streets, The original Vienna Cafe was fitted out by businessman Kurt Picardi back in the early years.  I recall, around 1958, it was totally renovated by the new owner Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas who was also known by his stage name Valentino or Rudy. just after his return from a stint in Hollywood.
  • Note : The building was demolished around 1979, it is now part of Pacific Park.
  • ON A PERSONAL NOTE: I recall Demetrios had one of the first black n white, Television sets in the neighbourhood which he put in the back room of the his Vienna Cafe. As I was living just a few doors down the street in Hellenic Court, he invited me in to watch TV anytime. The TV intrigued me but not as much as the TV antenna installation...  I was stunned at watching the TV Antenna installers putting up a 50 foot mast and  Antenna on the roof of the building.... Then for weeks i would sit outside the cafe and stare at the Antenna on the roof, thinking " how does all this work ?"  What makes this thing tick !!, How do those things appear on the screen through a couple of of bits of wire.... For those that know me, The rest is History"

4 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1929 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills 
  • 1929 -1935 - The Canberra Cafe
  • 1938-1943 -  The Shortland Cafe.
  • 1950 - The Morris Cafe.
  • Note - The building was demolished, it is now part of Pacific Park.

6 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1929 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1930-1935 - Gartrell White Ltd, Cake and Pastry Depot, Also Aeroplane Flour Dept
  • 1932-1935 - M.S. Riddle, Mixed Business Store
  • 1938-1940 - M.L. Frith, Grocer & Confectioners
  • 1950 - The Original Shipmates, began during January 1950It was the brainchild of the pioneer restaurateur Clem Ashford, a tattooed adventurer who returned from the South Seas in 1975 to shake up the local food scene. As well as having some of the best chips and hamburgers in Newcastle. Clem also opened up two other shops right across the road. They were Shipmates Dairy Delight, a milkshake shop and Shipmates Sugar & Spice a donuts and hamburger shop. Clem was a wee bit ahead of his time and a great operator.
  • Note - Clem Ashford later also created Clams, a landmark seafood restaurant at Merewether.
  • Note - The building was demolished, it is now part of Pacific Park.
  • For further fascinating stories on Clem Ashford

The Pacific Cafe with Shipmates next door, Hunter St Top of Town with my place on the left
8 Hunter St Newcastle,  
  • 1938 - Vacant land part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1940 Blakes Book Shop
  • 1948-1950 - McNeil's Cafe
  • 1950 - The Pacific Cafe, which was directly across the road from the Kosciusko Cafe. 
  • The Pacific Cafe was a very large cafe, with serving counters at both sides as you entered the cafe. It operated by Chris Sofianos and Stan Tsohadsis, who were Cousins and partners / proprietors.
  • Note the building was demolished in the late 1970's, it is now part of Pacific Park.

Note : Back in the 1960's and 1970's, This particular block of shops in Hunter St between Telford and Pacific Street, (now demolished) was the most popular part of Hunter St 'top of town',  a late Saturday night, Hamburger was just the thing after a big night out !!

<<<<<<<<<< Pacific Park >>>>>>>>>>

<<<< Crossing over Pacific St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>
North side of Hunter St, Pacific to Watt St Block

The blocks below, up and until 1930, where mainly sand hills 

34-36 Cnr Hunter St / 10-12 Hunter St, Newcastle, (in 1932-50 it was known as 10 Hunter St)
  • 1930 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1938-1950 - Lawrence & Hanson Electrical Pty. Ltd. Electrical Wholesalers & Radio Supplies 10-12 Hunter St
  • Currently : Backpackers by the Beach
  • Property Owner: J A RICHARDSON 2300

38-40 Hunter St / 14-16 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1930-1938 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • Currently : it was Knot (now closed)   
  • Property Owner:R TESLA 2010

 42-44 Hunter St / 18 Hunter St,  Newcastle, 
  • 1930 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1930-1935 - Jones & Jones Cafe
  • 1950 - A. Clark, Boot and Shoe repairers.
  • Currently : - Edward Cross shop front.   
  • Property Owner:C J LAWLOR

46 Hunter St / 16 Hunter St,  Newcastle, (in 1932 start of 16 Hunter St)
  • 1930-1932 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1950 - Wellbeing Massage Therapy
  • Currently: Wellbeing Massage Therapy  
  • Property Owner:C J LAWLOR 2299

 
48-56 Hunter St / 16a Hunter St)  Newcastle (Photo google 2019)

48-56 Hunter St / 16a Hunter St)  Newcastle,  Multi Story Building
  • 1932 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1932, Mrs W. Armstrong, Confectionary
  • 1932 - W. Armstrong, Jeweller 
  • 1940 to 1970 -  Radio 2NX
  • 1960 - Level 5, Police Special Opps
    1970 - Level 3, Gym
  • 2010 - Level 5, Yoga Loft.
  • Currently: - a Multi Story Building with various tenants including SiDCOR chartered accountants, Kingston Properties, eamarked in 2019 for a major refit of the top floors

58-60 Hunter St / 18 Hunter St,  Newcastle,
  • 1932 - A. Clarke, Bootmaker
  • 1938-1950 - Mrs A Clarke, Florist  18 Hunter St
  • 1970 - Police Credit Union, office
  • 1980 - Stuart & Dunn, Stationers
  • Currently: - Bridges Newcastle East. now Vacant
  • Property Owner:RJR INVESTMENTS PTY LIMITED 2291

62 Hunter St / 20 Hunter St,  Newcastle, 
  • 1929 - Vacant land
  • 1930 - E Charles Church, Solicitor
  • 1932 - Church & Youll,  Solicitors 20 Hunter St
  • Currently: Miskonduct Klothing. 

64 Hunter St / 22 Hunter St,  Newcastle
  • 1930 - Vacant land
  • 1930-1932 - Adelaide Tailoring Co Ltd
  • 1930 - The Commonwealth Savings Bank
  • 1938 - Natural Health Store, Grocer & Cafe
  • Currently: - Nick's Barbour Shop  (Since 1976)
  • Property Owner: A RUFO 2303

66-68 Hunter St / 24 Hunter St Newcastle - Sun Building,  A multi story Building
  • 1929 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1930 - Newcastle Sun Newspapers,  Evening Daily newspaper, The Northern Times was first published in 1916. In 1918 the Times was purchased by Sir Hugh Denison, publisher of The Sun who changed the name to The Newcastle Sun..The Newcastle Sun was acquired by Newcastle Morning Herald in 1936 and continued until 1980 when it ceased publication.
  • 1938 - Gr Floor, Douglas Pty Ltd, Merchants
  • 1938 - Gr Floor, Tasmanian Government Tourist Bureau.
  • 1938 - 1st Floor, Globe Racing Service
  • 1938 - 1st Floor, L.E. Lewis, Chiropodist
  • 1938-1840 - 1st Floor, Prudential Insurance
  • 1938 - 2nd Floor, Burroughs Ltd, Adding Machines
  • 1938 - 3rd Floor, Newcastle Amateur Radio Club
  • 1938 - 3rd Floor, Sydney Daily Telegraph
  • 1938 - 3rd Floor, Newcastle Aero Club
  • 1950- Gordon and Gotch Australia Ltd.Bookseller 
  • 1950 - F. J. Jamieson and Son, Builders
  • 1950 - Jones C Campbell, Accountant, & various other tenants.
  • 1950McGregor & McGregor, Accountant
  • 1950F.L. Rouse, Agents Financial
  • 1950 - Willmore & Randell, Agent House and Land
  • 1950 - W.I. Evans, Agents Manufacturing
  • 1950 - E. Farrell, Agents Manufacturing 
  • 1950 - G.T. Hick, Agents Manufacturing
  • 1950 - Newcastle Rugby Union
  • 1950 - Jeater, Rod & Hay, Architects
  • 1950 - R.G.Lees, Architects
  • 1950 - Florist Needlecraft, Art Needlework
  • 1950 - Assoc of Employers Union of Waterside Labour
  • 1950 - Australian Railways Union
  • 1950 - Australian Red Cross
  • 1950 - Australian Steamship Owners Federation.
  • 1950 - Newcastle & Dist Assoc for Crippled Children
  • 1950 - R.A. Jones, Chiropractor
    Currently: it is a multi story building
  • Property Owner: UNIBUILD HOLDINGS PTY LIMITED 2284   26

69  Hunter St / 26a Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1932 - L, Dobie, Cafe

70 Hunter St / 28 Hunter St,  Newcastle,  
  • 1920 - F.J. Street, Hairdresser & Tobacconist
  • 1920-1945 - E.F. Wilks & Co Pty Ltd, Piano sales
  • 1930 - General Sports Co, Sporting Requirements
  • 1930 - Lawrence & Hanson Electrical, Office
  • 1940-195- Leslie E.Thompson & Co, Accountant.
  • 1950 - J. Braun, Barrister
  • 1950 - Homecrafts, refrigerators etc
  • Currently: - Office Block

72 Cnr Hunter St / 30 Hunter St  Newcastle, 
  • 1933-1937 -  Radio 2KO  Newcastle  Broadcasting Pty Ltd, 1933, the station was operated from several locations including 72 Hunter St, until January 1937, then it moved to new studios and offices in the heart of Newcastle in the CML Building at 110 Hunter Street.
  • 1920-1930 - W.E. Smith Ltd, Manufacturing Stationers, Printers
  • 1930 - HC Lockwood, Hardware Merchant
  • 1950 Stronach Pty Ltd, Builders
  • 1950 L.G. Regan, Agents Financial
  • 1950 - K.F. Gilligan, Agent House and Land
  • 1950 -  Australasian Cath Truth Society 
  • 1950 - The Surf Life Saving Association of Australia       
  • 1950 - The Federal Taxation Dpt
  • 1950 - EF Wilks & Co,

74-76 Cnr Hunter St / 32 Hunter St  Newcastle, National Bank Chambers
  • 1895 - Ball Bros, Grocers, Provision, Wine, and Produce Merchants,
  • 1909-1950 - The Christian's Center, Bookseller.
  • 1920-1930 - The National Bank of Australasia Ltd
  • 1950 - G.R. Felser,  Accountant
  • Currently : multi story with various tenants.

<<<< Crossing over Watt St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>
North side of Hunter St, Watt to Bolton St Block

The Newcastle Post Office, Public Works Dept & Police Dept

82-86 Hunter St Newcastle,
The Newcastle Post Office
  • 1928 - The Newcastle Post Office, The first Newcastle Post Office was opened on 1 March 1828, being one of the first seven opened outside Sydney. The original office was situated in the 'Sessions House' on the corner of Watt and Church Streets, with Duncan Forbes Mackay, the Superintendent of Convicts, as the first Postmaster.
  • 1909-1932- The Public Works Dept, Shops & Factories Dept, Old age pension Dept,
  • 1932 - Health Dept, Weights & Measures, Education Dept.
  • Currently: it's 'The Lock UP' 
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE HISTORIC (R98160) RESERVE TRUST 2300

88 Hunter St Newcastle, The Electric Telegraph Office
  • 1861-1930 - The Electric Telegraph Office  The Inspector weights and measurements, Health Dept.
  • Currently: it's 'The Lock UP' The Lock-Up was built to support the Newcastle Police Station which was housed in the adjacent Court House (now the site of the former 1902 Post Office) and was used from 1861 until its closure in 1982.
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE HISTORIC (R98160) RESERVE TRUST 2300

90 Hunter St Newcastle, The Newcastle Police Station
  • 1861-1982 - The Newcastle Police Station.
  • Currently: -Timeless Textiles and The Lock-Up
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE HISTORIC (R98160) RESERVE TRUST 2300

92-94 Hunter St Newcastle, The Lock-Up
  • 1838 - The Lock-Up  In 1838 a Court House designed by Colonial Architect Mortimer Lewis was constructed on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets, where the former Newcastle Post Office building now sits. It included a lock-up comprising two cells but by 1855 as the former penal settlement was developing into a flourishing coal export centre, it was deemed inadequate. The building of the Newcastle Police Station and Lock-Up was completed in 1861. Mortimer Lewis Jnr designed a single storey building under the direction of James Barnet.In 1867 a kitchen block was added to the rear and other alterations carried out between 1870-1890 included additional cells. Symmetrical extensions were added, which enlarged the Hunter Street facade, and a brick perimeter wall was built in 1882. Aligned with the corners of these new extensions, the wall provided secure exercise yards.
  • 1903 - The Newcastle Court House,  In 1890 Government Architect Walter Vernon added a second storey over the front section of the building. In the same year a new Court House was built in Church Street and the old building was subsequently demolished to make way for a new Post Office (1903), which still stands today.              
  • 1932 - Post & Telegraph office, The Postmaster-General's Department (PMG) was an Australian Government department, established at Australia's Federation in 1901, whose responsibilities included the provision of postal and telegraphic services throughout Australia. It was abolished in December 1975, and in its place two separate legal entities were established: Telecom (which later became Telstra) and Australia Post.
  • 1932, Commonwealth Savings Bank
  • Currently: Built in 1903 it's the disused old Newcastle Post Office
  • Further Info on the Post Office Building

<<<<<  Crossing over Bolton St & continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St, Bolton to Newcomen St Block

96-98 Cnr Hunter St / 24 Hunter St / 66-68 Hunter St, Newcastle, (in 1909 / 24 Hunter St, in 1920 66-68 Hunter St) 
  • 1878 The Ship Inn Hotel  (A.A.Farthing) Next to the Ship Inn in Bolton St was The Bank Of Australasia, Then next to them was the office of Wood Brothers & Co all situated opposite the former Court House which later became the Post Office. The Ship Inn Hotel was demolished in 1912
  • 1888 - Kittson, Drapery and Clothes,
  • 1909 - The Union Bank buildingBuilt on the corner of Bolton and Hunter St's.
  • 1909-1920 - Union Bank 24 Hunter St
  • 1879 - Union Bank Chambers, The Hannell family sold the land to the Union Bank of Australia in 1885, but it appears that the bank had been operating from the hotel building on a leasehold basis since November 1879. The bank continued to trade from the Ship Inn building, adapted to suit their operations, until 1912, when it was demolished to make way for the existing purpose-built premises.1912- ANZ Bank building. The site of the ANZ building, being formerly the site of the Ship Inn has local significance through its association with the Hannell family, in particular James Hannell who was licensee for the Ship and became Newcastle's first Mayor. This association is commemorated by a plaque mounted on the building.
  • 1903-1950 New Standard Radio,
  • 1909 - Brown & Mitchell, Solicitors
  • 1912 - All Buildings demolished in preparation of building the new ANZ Bank building
  • 1940-1950 - Sargent's Milk Bar
  • Currently: - The Reserve Wine Bar                                chk ok24
  • For further info on the ANZ Building
  • Property Owner: BOMBALA INVESTMENTS PTY LIMITED & R B MAWHINNEY

98a Hunter St / 24a Hunter St / 66a Hunter St,  Newcastle, Demolished in 1912
  • 1930 - Hunter The Stationers Ltd, Bookseller & Stationer 66a Hunter St
  • Currently: The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

100-102 Hunter St / 26 Hunter St / 68 Hunter St  Newcastle, Demolished in 1912
  • 1909 - Taylor Bros, Hairdressers
  • 1920-1930 - Way's Ltd, Cafe 68 Hunter St
  • Currently: The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

104 Hunter St / 28 Hunter St / 70 Hunter St  Newcastle, Demolished in 1912
  • 1909-1932 - Beale & Co Ltd, Piano Wholesalers 28 Hunter St
  • 1920 - R.H. Hunter, Jeweler
  • 1930 - The Bargain Arcade, No2, fancy goods etc
  • 1950 - M. Chiplin, Cake Shop
  • Currently: The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

106 Hunter St / 30 Hunter St / 70a Hunter St  Newcastle, Demolished in 1912
  • 1909 - William Whitby, Tea Rooms
  • 1950 Chic Salon, Lingerie
  • Currently: - The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

108 Hunter St / 32 Hunter St /  72 Hunter St (1932) Newcastle, The CML Bldg, 
  • 1886 - J Martin, Tailor
  • 1910 - B. Phillips, Tailors  32 Hunter St
  • Notes : As advertised "a Philips Suit gives you. Materials are numerous and handsome, 'but in the fap: of the large number of orders coming in, you must order your Suit now or we can't get it ready before Xmas", 
  • 1910-1920 - W. Norris & Co, Clothier & Mercer
  • 1932 - Lazers, Hardware
  • 1945-1952 Rundle's, In the 1950s, under second-generation tailors Nelson Rundle and Lindsay Rundle, Rundles began its expansion by wholesaling quality suits and blazers nationally while maintaining a retail presence in Newcastle. In 1952 it became a public company, Rundles Pty Limited.
  • Currently: Porky's Nest, Homewares and coffee.
  • Property Owner: WESTLINE

110 Hunter St / 32a Hunter St / 72a Hunter St, Newcastle, CML BLdg 
  • 1886 - H. Asser, Stationer
  • 1910 - Irvine Ltd, Tailors
  • 1918 - Robert Ingall and Sons, working mans trousers.
  • 1930 - Paris stores, Tailors & Mercers
  • 1932 - Gresham Studio's
  • 1932 - A. Hall & Co Ltd, Radio Dealers 
  • 1937 to 1980 - Radio 2KO, Click for more info  (72 Hunter St)
  • 1940 - Browns Manchester Store's Pty Ltd, Drapers  
  • Currently: The CML Building, a Multi Story building with Various Tenants.

11Hunter St / 32b Hunter St / 74 Hunter St (1920)  Newcastle, The CML Bldg, 
  • 1916-1932- Glbb and Beeman, Ltd, Opticians, expert Sight Testing and Spectacles, five shillings. Satisfaction guaranteed, or money refunded. Gibb and Beeman,"
  • Currently: Sallini's Barber. 

Centennial Hotel 

114 
Hunter St / 34 Hunter St / 76 Hunter St,  Newcastle, (1909 = #34, 1920 =# 76,)
  • 1888 -The Centennial Hotel (SV Brain)  The bar of this hotel extended from Scott St to Hunter St. From what I've heard through a friend of Terry Brain, it was the longest bar in Australia. Built Jan 26  (1909 = #34 Hunter St)
  • 1898The Niagara Cafe. Angelo Bourtzos, after he left Vlahokerasia, Greece bound for the USA around 1898 and before the turn of the century. He traveled from the USA to Australia, eventually settling in Newcastle and opening the Niagara Cafe.  In 1898, It was located next to the CML Building and on the North side of the street and virtually opposite The Brazil Cafe.
  • 1912 it was taken over by Brothers Michael and Theo Karanges (who was Bourtzos godson) Theo stayed on to take over the business when Bourtzos died, while Michael Peter Karanges opened up his own Niagara Cafe a few miles away in the Newcastle suburb of Hamilton... Around 1920 George Peter Kostakes and Michael Karanges became partners. By 1926 they had incorporated with George Peter Kostakes and Mr. P.Karanges as First directors... Con and Nick Karanges arrived from Vlahokerasia, Greece around November 1936 and worked for their Uncle Michael Karanges. It was here at the Niagara that Nick met his wife to be Olive May Watts.. Con and Nick Karanges worked, saved and bought their own cafe's, In 1942Con bought The Embassy Cafe at 303 Hunter Street, whilst Nick Karanges bought the Central Cafe at  Belford St Broadmeadow opposite the Century Theatre.
  • In 1951 George Peter Kostakes, Passed away. He died in the Royal Newcastle Hospital yesterday, aged 60. He lived at 13 Anzac Parade Newcastle which later became the Nick Gerakiteys household.
  • The Niagara cafe also in the 1940's owned its own cake and sweets factory in Bull-street, Cooks Hill which was sold in 1952. See more of the story below.
  • Nick Karanges at the Central Cafe Broadmeadow. Con worked at the Embassy till he retired in 1976. Around 1938 George Velissaris arrived from Greece and began working for his uncle Michael Karanges at the Niagara. Around 1946 George Velissaris bought out his brother Michael and ran the business himself. Around 1954 brothers George and Nick Velissaris bought the Station Cafe in Campsie Sydney and moved there with the family. In 1940, Steve Gounis arrived from Greece to work in the Niagara Cafe. John Scoufis, from the same village, also came to Australia to work in the Niagara but unlike the others he settled in Sydney. Scoufis bought and ran the Central Inn Cafe in Railway Square, Sydney in 1933   Phone 654.
  • 1935 The Niagara Cafe was advertising "The best place to eat and drink and the new 4d milk bar service. Excellent chocolates and cakes"
  • Currently: - Fruit & Peel Coffee Shop.         ok34  ok76
  • 1909 - Newcastle Jockey Club.
  • For more Information on The Centennial Hotel
  • Property Owner: BENDLINK PTY LIMITED & M CONSTANTINE

116-118 Hunter St / 36-38 Hunter St / 78-80 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1886-1909 - Thomas B. Blackall & Hunt, Chemist & Dentist 36-38 Hunter St
  • 1920-1945 - Palings Rooms, Edward Tyrrell, Teacher and other Various music teachers, technicians. 78-80 Hunter St
  • 1930 - a Pure Fruit Drinks Store
  • 1950 - Ells Bookstore books, toys and stationery (78 Hunter St)
  • Currently: Gentleman's Outfitters
  • Property Owner: CITY ELECTRICAL SERVICES PTY LIMITED

120 Hunter St / 40 Hunter St / 82 Hunter St, Newcastle, The City Arcade, 
  • 1909 - Abel & Co. Ltd, Wholesale Confectionery 40 Hunter St
  • 1916-1920Ways, Ltd, The Victoria Cafe,  Tel 531.
  • 1932 - Harringtons Ltd, Photo & Radio Supplies
  • 1932 - Tom Blackall, Dentist
  • 1939 - The City Arcade
  • Currently: The City Arcade With Barents Tobacco and other tenants. 

122 Hunter St / 42 Hunter St / 84 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 - D. Smith, Boot Shop
  • 1909 - W H Paling and Co. Pianos Organs and Music  42 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Thomas Blackall & Son, Dentist,  Blackall & Sons. (W. Blackall was the father, Tom Blackall the son. Blackalls Park is named after Tom).
  • 1909 - Edwin M. King, Musician
  • 1920-1930 - Thomas Blackall & Hunt, Chemist
  • 1920 - Franc Pearce, Jeweller & Optician
  • 1932 - A.H. Gilliman, Fruiterer (2 shops)
  • 1940 Patton's & Baldwins, Knitting Yarn Mfrs
  • 1950 - Upcroft Bros, Agent House and Land
  • 1950 Christian Science Reading Room.
  • Currently: it's a multi story building with various tenants, including, Bloom Hearing Specialists

122-124 Hunter St / 42a Hunter St / 86a Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1920 - Thomas Blackall & Son, Dentist,  Blackall & Sons. (W. Blackall was the father, Tom Blackall the son. Blackalls Park is named after Tom).
  • 1932 - A.H. Gilliman, Fruiterer (2 shops)
  • 1940 Kodak 
  • 1940-1950 - R.H.Stewart. Chemist 
  • Currently: it's a multi story building with various tenants, including, Bloom Hearing Specialists, The Wren, Jewels On Hunter, OPSM, Jeremiah Jones Fish & Chips.   
  • Property Owner: G S HILL 2300

126 Hunter St / 44 Hunter St / 88 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1909-1920 - The Co-op Coupon Co Ltd             chk44
  • 1930 - Myers Ltd, Shoe Store
  • 1930 - Ranson's Clergy Wear
  • 1932 - Home Recreations Aust Ltd, Phonographs & Bird Tables
  • Currently: The Wren

128 Hunter St / 46 Hunter St / 90 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1909 - Macrow & Sons Pty Ltd, Jewellers  46 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Newcastle Nursery Co.
  • 1920 - Walter Neve, Furniture Manufacturer & Undertaker  
  • 1930 - Bernard's, Picture framers & photographers
  • 1930 - Bargain Arcade Ltd, Fancy Goods, 3 shops
  • 1940 Breckenridge's Blue Room Cafe 

130 Hunter St / 48 Hunter St / 92 Hunter St,  Newcastle,
  • 1920 - Tom Ingall & Son, Tailors
  • 1930 - Bargain Arcade Ltd, Fancy Goods, 3 shops
  • 1940 -Hunter & Son Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store  
  • Currently: Jewels On Hunter

132-134 Hunter St / 50 Hunter St / 94 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1909 - James A. LeslieTailor
  • 1920-1950 - Elliot's Pty Ltd, High Class Tailors and Mens complete outfitters, Mercer. also at 537 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Bargain Arcade Ltd, Fancy Goods, 3 shops
  • Currently: it is OPSM

134 Cnr Hunter St / 52 Hunter St / 94a Hunter St, Newcastle, (1909 = 52 Hunter St,1932 = 94a Hunter St)
  • 1920 - The Commonwealth Bank
  • 1932 - Miss Duncan, Milliner 
  • Currently: - Jeremiah Jones, Fish n Chips Boutique.

<<<  Crossing over Newcomen St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St, N
ewcomen to Morgan St Block

The Rawson Hotel 1920 

136-140 Hunter St / 
54 Hunter St / 96 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1876-1920 - The Chrystal Palace Hotel  - (1909 George P. Atkins) 54 Hunter St 
  • 1920-1964 - The Rawson Hotel (J.W.Wallace) Hotel Rawson on the corner of Hunter and Newcomen streets, it was demolished after its licence expired in 1964 and is now the site of the Commonwealth Bank.
  • 1930-1940 - Howe's Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store
  • 1964 - The Commonwealth Bank of Australia
  • Currently: Discount Warehouse Chemist 
  • Property Owner: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA

138 Hunter St / 56 Hunter St / 98 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1886-1920 - Singer Sewing Machines
  • 1909 - Carl Macree, Oyster Saloon 56 Hunter St
  • 1932 - Hunter The Stationer Ltd, Bookseller & Stationers
  • Currently: Discount Warehouse Chemist

140-142 Hunter St / 58 Hunter St / 100-102 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1876 - Mrs Prevost, watchmaker and Jeweler
  • 1909 - Payizis Macree, Fruiterers
  • 1920-1932 - Way's Ltd, Cafe
  • 1930 - Robert Ingall & Sons, Tailors & Mercers
  • 1940 - Rex Asher, Fishing Tackle
  • Currently: - a Vacant store

144-146 Hunter St / 60 Hunter St / 104-106 Hunter St, Newcastle,
  • 1891 - G.E. Bodley Children's toy shop. As advertised "Toys, Toys, Toys. for Children for Christmas. Toys for Christmas for Children. A splendid lot just. opened. Remember, My Prices are as usual" The Cheapest in Town."    
  • 1908 - Rundle'smenswear
  • 1909 - J. Kingsborough & Co, Drapers  60 Hunter St
  • 1920 - R.H. Hunter, Jeweler
  • 1930 - Farr's Markets Ltd
  • 1932 - Bargain Arcade Ltd No 2, Fancy Goods
  • 1935 - Nicholson's music store
  • 1940-1950Betta-Cakes, a Cake store.
  • 1950  Coo-Ee Clothing Company, Boys clothing retail
  • Currently:  - Newcastle City Health Foods

Rundles Hunter St (Photo Uni)  c1960

148-150 Cnr Hunter St / 
62 Hunter St / 108 Hunter St,  Newcastle,
  • 1886 - F. Pearce, Watchmaker
  • 1908 - Richard Thomas Rundle opened his tailoring shop calling it Rundles. Richard was an early innovator and was one of the first tailors to see the potential of sewing machines as a more cost effect method of tailoring, controversially moving away from hand sewing on the knee. For more than a century Rundles has been looking for ways to offer its customers exceptional value for money. Rundle's, the store for men & boys. Heading down the side street, Morgan street took you straight into the Rundles Factory
  • 1909 - David Miller, Grocer 62 Hunter St 
  • 1909 - Commonwealth Bank
  • 1920-1932 - Lane & Trewartha Ltd, Grocers
  • 1930 - Mrs E. Winn, Costmr
  • 1940-1950  Goldsmith Pty Ltd.  Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1940 - RW Upfold, Electrician
  • 1950Reid's Commercial Services.Business Consultants.
  • 1950 - J.R.Trahan, Agents Manufacturing
  • 1950 - Retail Traders Association of NSW
  • 1950 - H.H. Benjamin, Clothier
  • 1952 - Rundles Pty Limited, under second-generation tailors Nelson Rundle and Lindsay Rundle, Rundles began its expansion by wholesaling quality suits and blazers nationally while maintaining a retail presence in Newcastle. In 1952 it became a public company, Rundles Pty Limited.
  • 1973 - Rundles, under the guidance of Lindsay Rundle and now third generation tailor, Peter Rundle. The business established itself as one of Australias largest suiting manufacturers. The company employed more than 500 people and was one of the largest employers of women in the Hunter region. 
  • Currently: - Ka-fey cafe, Coffee Shop

<<<  Crossing over Morgan St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St, Morgan to Market St
 Block

152-160 Cnr Hunter St / 64 Hunter St / 110 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

154 Hunter St / 66 Hunter St / 112 Hunter St  Newcastle,

156-160 Hunter St / 68 Hunter St / 114 Hunter St  Newcastle, 

The City Arms Hotel, in 1900 which later became the Hunter Hotel that was remodelled for the Market Square development. (photo UNI)

162-164 Cnr Hunter St / 
70 Hunter St / 116-118 Hunter St 
1920  Newcastle, 

<<<  Crossing over Market St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St, Market to Thorn St Block

Municipal Market Building (photo uonarchi) Spero Digi Color
166-168 Hunter St / 74-78 Hunter St / 122-124 Hunter St Newcastle, 

170-172 Cnr Hunter St / 80 Hunter St / 126-128 Hunter St  Newcastle,

<<<  Crossing over Thorn St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St,Thorn to Wolf St Block

174 Cnr Hunter St / 82a Hunter St / 130a Hunter St, Newcastle,

Palings Music Store 1916-1950
Palings Music Store 1916-1950  Spero Digi Color
176 Cnr Hunter St / 82 Hunter St / 130 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

Lasker Bros, Tailors, (Photo Ncle Herald, Spero Digicolor) 1876

178 Hunter St / 
84 Hunter St 132 Hunter St,  Newcastle, 

180 Hunter St / 86 Hunter St / 134 Hunter St  Newcastle,  

Sound World Megastore 1993

182 Hunter St / 
88 Hunter St / 136 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
School of Arts Bldg

184 Hunter St / 88 Hunter St / 138 Hunter St,  Newcastle, School of Arts Bldg

186 Cnr Hunter St / 88a Hunter St / 140-142 Hunter St,  NewcastleSchool of Arts Bldg

<<<<<  Crossing over Wolf St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>
North side of Hunter St, Wolf to Perkins St Block

188-190 Hunter St / 90 Hunter St / 144 Hunter St   Newcastle, School of Arts Bldg

192 Hunter St / 92 Hunter St / 146 Hunter St,   School of Arts Bldg

194-196 Hunter St / 94-96 Hunter St / 148-152 Hunter St  Newcastle,  Old johns & Co Bldg

196 Hunter St / 98 Hunter St / 154 Hunter St)  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg

Sound World 1986

198-200 Hunter St / 
100 Hunter St / 156-160 Hunter St  Newcastle, 
Old johns & Co Bldg

202-206  Hunter St 102-104 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg 

208 Hunter St / 106 Hunter St (former 164)  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg

210 Hunter St / 108 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg

212 Hunter St / 110 Hunter St 166 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg

214  Hunter St / 112 Hunter St / 168 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg

200-218 Hunter St / 114 Hunter St / 162-168 Hunter St  Newcastle,  Old johns & Co Bldg

220 Hunter St / 162 Hunter St Newcastle, 

End of 1909, 108 Hunter St numbering system
<<<<< Crossing over Perkins St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>>>>

North side (Rail side) of Hunter St, Wolf St to  Block... Crossing Perkins St

Crown St Tram Stop

336 Hunter St / 172 Hunter St Newcastle  (Scott st extended) 

338 Hunter St / 354 Hunter St Newcastle,

Former Tramway Substation (Photo Sharn Harrison)
342 Hunter St / 174 Hunter St Newcastle,

344-358 Hunter St / 176-186 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • Currently: - a Vacant Block opposite Darby St / Macquarie St, Recently sold and about to be developed into office accomodation
  • Property Owner: RAIL CORPORATION NEW SOUTH WALES

356 Hunter St / 188 Hunter St Newcastle,   
  • Currently: Res Sleep, Newcastle clinic, we provide a bulk billed home sleep test, treatment trials of CPAP product, sale of all equipment & spare parts

360-364 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

366-374 Hunter St, Newcastle, NIB Building Built 1921

376 Hunter St, Newcastle,

380 Hunter St, Newcastle, Evatt Chambers,   

382 Hunter St, Newcastle,

384 Hunter St, Newcastle,

400 Cnr Hunter St, Newcastle, Multi Story GIO building with Various Tenants

<<< North Crossing over Merewether St & continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>
North side of Hunter St, Merewether St to Worth Place Block

414 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

418 Hunter St, Newcastle,

424-428 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

428 Hunter St, Newcastle,

430 Hunter Street, Newcastle, Civic Block, Civic Railway Station 

Civic Tram Stop

432-438 Hunter St, Newcastle,  multi story building  MLC building
  • 1974 - Sonny De Carvalho Real Estate
  • 1970 - Mason Lawyers 1970?
  • 1970 - Herald Solicitors 1970?
  • Currently: - multi story building, occupied by Mason Lawyers and other tenant's
  • Property Owner:K MAVROGEORGIS 

440-448 Hunter St, Newcastle,

444-448 Hunter St, Newcastle,  

450-454 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

456-460 Hunter St, Newcastle, Civic Chambers
  • Currently: - Applied Training Solutions
  • Property Owner:J A OWENS (Unit 3) 2027

462 Hunter St, Newcastle,

464-472 Hunter St, Newcastle,
  • 1986 - MBF
  • 1989 - Belles and Beaux The Bridal Specialists 
  • Currently: - Belles and Beaux 

468 Hunter St, Newcastle,

470 Hunter St, Newcastle,  Kayle House


Sid Cohen's - 474 Hunter St. - Gaye Windsor, Bob Cohen, and staff celebrating 80 years in Newcastle

474 Hunter St, Newcastle, 



474 to 500 Hunter St 2019

476-478 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

 480 Hunter St, Newcastle,

484 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

486 Hunter St / 178 Hunter St Newcastle, Hooker House
  • 1986 - Hooker Homes Master Builder
  • Currently: - Vacant Shop
  • Property Owner:E A MONIE 2300

488 Hunter St / 180 Hunter St Newcastle, Civic Court


FAI Building 490 Hunter St - Photo Rob Mac/Percy Sternbeck 1986

490 Hunter St  /
 182 Hunter St Newcastle,

492-494 Hunter St / 186 Hunter St Newcastle, ASWN House

496 Hunter St, Newcastle,
Olivers Unicorn Restaurant ????

498-500 Hunter St, Newcastle,

502 Hunter St / 194-196 Hunter St Newcastle,

504 Hunter St /xx Hunter St Newcastle,

506 Hunter St / 202 Hunter St Newcastle,

508 Hunter St / 204 Hunter St Newcastle

510-512 Hunter St / 206-208 Hunter St Newcastle,


514 Hunter St 1970

514 
Hunter St / xxx Hunter St Newcastle,

516 Hunter St / 212 Hunter St Newcastle, 

518 Hunter St /  214-216 Hunter St Newcastle,

522 Hunter St, Newcastle, 

528 Hunter St / 218 Hunter St Newcastle

534 Hunter St / 220-226 Hunter St  Newcastle

<<<< North Crossing over Worth Place and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
North side of Hunter St, Worth Pl to Steel St Block
 

Light Rail Development, Worth Place (Photo Ncle Herald)
536 Hunter St / 232 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

538 Hunter St / 234-244 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

540 Hunter St / 234-244 Hunter St Newcastle West,

556-558 Hunter St / 246-248 Hunter St Newcastle West, Built 1907 

560 Hunter St / 250 Hunter St  Newcastle West, Manchester Unity Building.

564 Hunter St / 252-254 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

566 Hunter St / 256 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

572 Hunter St / 258 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

576-578 Hunter St / 260-262 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

580 Hunter St / 262 Hunter St Newcastle West,

582-586 Hunter St / 264 Hunter St  Newcastle West,

588-592 Hunter St / 266 Hunter St Newcastle West,

588-592 Hunter St / 268-278 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

600 Hunter St / 280 Hunter St Newcastle West,

600a Hunter St / 282 Hunter St  Newcastle West,

602 Hunter St / 284 Hunter St Newcastle West,  Newcastle, 

604-606 Hunter St / 286-288 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

608 Hunter St / 290 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

610 Hunter St / 292 Hunter St Newcastle West,

612 Hunter St / 294 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

614-616 Hunter St / 296-298 Hunter St Newcastle West,  

618 Hunter St / 300-302 Hunter St  Newcastle West, 

618a Hunter St / 304 Hunter St  Newcastle West,

618 Hunter St / 314 Hunter St, 
  • 1930 -  Amalgamated Wireless Australia Ltd
  • Currently:  Park

618 Hunter St / 316 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

Honeysuckle Railway Station

Honeysuckle Tram Stop

620 Hunter St / 318 Hunter St Newcastle West, Hunter New England Local Health 


McLean's Sound & Lighting 1979 - Photo Louise Le Raux

646-652 Hunter St
Newcastle West,  Now part of 
Hunter New England Health

622-668 Hunter St / 320 Hunter St Newcastle West,  Now part of Hunter New England Health

670 Hunter St Newcastle West,  Hunter New England Local Health 

<<< Crossing over Steel St and continuing west Hunter Street >>>
North side of Hunter St, Steel St to Bellevue St Block

Honeysuckle Point Rail Station 1897

Honeysuckle Point Rail Station is opposite the Steel Street old Tee Intersection
Owen's - New Station Hotel By Matthew Glenn Ward
Richard (Dick) Owen's - New Station Hotel oppositeToday's Hunter New England Health



Hunter St West
672 Cnr Hunter St / 326 Hunter St Newcastle West,

674 Hunter St / 328 Hunter St Newcastle West,

676 Hunter St / 330 Hunter St Newcastle West,

678 Hunter St / 332 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

678a Hunter St / 334 Hunter St Newcastle West,

680 Hunter St / 336 Hunter St Newcastle West, Shedden Chambers

682 Hunter St / 336a Hunter St Newcastle West,

Elite Skating Rink and McLellan Hellyer Ironmongers 1880 (photo uonarchi)

682-684 Hunter St /
344-350 Hunter St / 328 Hunter St Newcastle West, 


West End Arcade and Market 1891 
(photo uonarchi)

686 Hunter St / 346 Hunter St,

688-692 Hunter St / 356-360 Hunter St, (95-99) Newcastle,

700-708 Hunter / Charlton St Newcastle West, 

710 Hunter St / 360 Hunter St / Newcastle West, 

720 Hunter / 364 Hunter St Newcastle West, 

726 Hunter / 366 Hunter St  Newcastle West, 

END OF ( blue Hunter St ) numbers, START OF 1 Charlton St Wickham -
1920,
 from here to the Overhead bridge it is also Charlton St Wickham


Former Bellevue Hotel 1980
738 Hunter Charlton St Wickham Newcastle West, / 1 Hannell St Wickham, 

<<< Crossing over Bellevue St and heading west along Hunter St, Wickham >>>
North side of Hunter St, Bellevue St to Stewart Avenue Block

744 Hunter St / 1 Charlton St Wickham / 1 Hunter St Wickham,  Newcastle West

746 Hunter St / 3 Charlton St Wickham  / 3 Hunter St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

756 Hunter St / 07 Charlton St Wickham / 13 Hunter St Wickham, Newcastle West,

760 Hunter St / 09 Charlton St Wickham / 17 Hunter St Wickham, Newcastle West,

762 Hunter St / 9a Charlton St Wickham / 19 Hunter St Wickham, Newcastle West,
  • 1950 - Swan's Radio Service 19 Hunter St

764 Hunter St / 11 Charlton St Wickham / 21 Hunter St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

McLeod Kelso and Lee, Chevrolet Park (Photo Ken Magor)

766-770
Hunter St / 13 Charlton St Wickham / 23-33 Hunter St Wickham, Newcastle West


Aero Apartments, Hunter St, built on the site of the old McLeod Kelso and Lee, Chevrolet Park

772-778 
Hunter St / 15 Charlton St Wickham / 35 Hunter St Wickham,   Newcastle West,

780 Hunter St / 17 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West


MKL from the air (Photo Ncle Herald)


788 
Hunter St / 19 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

796-802 Hunter St / 21 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,
  • 1920 - W. Kamsai, Draper
  • Currently: - Engenium, Engineering consultant in Newcastle West
  • Property Owner: SIDRAW PTY LTD 2303

798 Hunter St / 23 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

800 Hunter St / 25 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

802 Hunter St / 27 Charlton St Wickham, Newcastle West,

804 Hunter St / 29 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

806 Hunter St / 31 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

806a Hunter St / 33 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

806b Hunter St / 35 Charlton St Wickham, Newcastle West,

806c Hunter St / 37 Charlton St Wickham, Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 39 Charlton St Wickham, Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 41 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 43 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 45 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

806 Hunter St / 47 Charlton St Wickham, Newcastle West,

808 Hunter St  / 49 Charlton St Wickham  Newcastle West,

<<<<< Crossing over Florence St and heading west along Hunter St, Wickham >>>>>

810-820 Hunter St / 53 Charlton St Wickham  Newcastle West

818 Hunter St / 57 Charlton St Wickham  Newcastle West

822 Hunter St / 61 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West 

824 Hunter St / 63 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West / 

826 Hunter St / 65 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

832 Hunter St / 67 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 69 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 71 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 73 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 75 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 77 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

850 Hunter St / 79 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 81 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

Hunter St / 83 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

<<<<<< Crossing over Cooper Street and heading west along Hunter/Charlton St >>>>>>
North side of Hunter St, Cooper to Railway St Block

830-834 Hunter St / 85 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West,

840 Hunter St / 91 Charlton St Wickham,  Newcastle West, 

The Store 1900 (Photo Newcastle Herald)

854-872 
Hunter St Newcastle West / 
93-95 Charlton St Wickham / 103-107 Hunter St 

874 Hunter St Newcastle West / 101 Charlton St Wickham / 109 Hunter St Wickham   

  • 1920 - Newcastle Oxy-Acetylene welding Co
  • 1920 - James Brogan
  • 1938 - Illoura Cafe
  • Currently: - Kennards Self Storage
  • Property Owner:KENNARDS SELF STORAGE PTY LIMITED 2138

876 Hunter St Newcastle West / 107 Charlton St Wickham / 107 Hunter St Wickham /    

880 Hunter St Newcastle West / 113 Charlton St Wickham / 113 Hunter St Wickham / 

882 Hunter St Newcastle West  / 115 Charlton St Wickham / Hunter St West

888-900 Hunter St Newcastle West / 117 Charlton St Wickham / Hunter St Wickham,

912 Hunter St Newcastle West / 119 Charlton St Wickham,

914 Hunter St Newcastle West / 121 Charlton St Wickham,

916 Hunter St Newcastle West / 123 Charlton St Wickham,

Hunter St Newcastle West / 125 Charlton St Wickham,

Hunter St Newcastle West / 127 Charlton St Wickham,

Hunter St Newcastle West / 129 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920 - Miss E. Bell  129 Charlton St Wickham,

Hunter St Newcastle West / 131 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920  Oscar H. Cooper
  • 1938  Werrin & Co Ltd, Glass Merchants

Hunter St Newcastle West / 133 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920  William McNaughton
  • 1950  Motor Traders Pty Ltd, Motor Car Spare Parts 133 Charlton St Wickham

Hunter St Newcastle West / 135 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920  Richard Graham

Hunter St Newcastle West / 137 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920  Barth J. Kelly
  • 1938  Frank H. Russell

Hunter St Newcastle West / 139-141 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920  William Hancock
  • 1938- Newcastle Motors Ltd, Auto Electricians

Hunter St Newcastle West / 143 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1938 - Keysells Pty Ltd, Motor Dealers

Hunter St Newcastle West / 147 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920 - Jno Hamilton
  • 1940 - McPherson & Son, Steel Merchants

Hunter St Newcastle West / 149 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920 - Frederick Power
  • 1920 - NSW Co-op W. Society (Office)

Hunter St Newcastle West / 151 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920 - William Hunt
  • 1920 - John Hamilton

Hunter St Newcastle West / 153 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1938 - John D. Williams

Hunter St Newcastle West / 155 Charlton St Wickham
  • 1938 - Reg A. Marsh
  • 1938 - Wakefield & Co CC Lube Oils

924-926 Cnr Hunter St Newcastle West / 161 Charlton St Wickham / 161 Hunter St Wickham 1910
  • 1920-1950 - Dairy Farmers Co-op Milk Co Ltd 161 Hunter St Wickham 1910
  • Currently:-- a Vacant Lot,It was Dairy Farmers   
  • Property Owner:ZUTOR PTY LTD 2285

928 Hunter St Newcastle West / 163-165 Charlton St Wickham,
  • 1920 - D. McNaughton & Son, Builders, Contractors & Patternmakers
  • 1938 - Universal Car Wreckers

<<< Crossing over Railway St and heading west along Hunter/Charlton St >>>
North side of Hunter St, Railway St to Rail Bridge Block 

NSW Motors
934 Hunter St Newcastle West / 167-169  Hunter St Wickham / 167-169 Charlton St Wickham 

946 Hunter St Newcastle West / 171 Hunter St Wickham / 171 Charlton St Wickham

956 Hunter St Newcastle West / 173 Charlton St Wickham

970 Hunter St Newcastle West / 175 Charlton St Wickham

978 Hunter St Newcastle West / 177 Charlton St Wickham

980 Hunter St Newcastle West / 179 Charlton St Wickham

982 Hunter St Newcastle West / 181 Charlton St Wickham

984 Hunter St Newcastle West / 183 Charlton St Wickham

990 Hunter St Newcastle West / 185 Charlton St Wickham

994 Hunter St Newcastle West / 187 Charlton St Wickham

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
END OF HUNTER / BLAINE/ CHARLTON STREETS

NOTES ON NUMBERING SYSTEM, by Pam Marley
CHARLTON ST - from cottage creek bridge to western boundary of Newcastle, renamed Hunter St West 9th Jan, 1905 BLANE ST - from AA company bridge , to  Cottage creek bridge (64 chains, 80 links) renamed Hunter St West gazeted 13 April 1889. LANGFORD  - renamed to Gibson in 1920s, although part becomes King st.

NUMBERING SYSTEM (A) At one time there were 3 separate sets of numbers in Hunter street: Watt Street to the AACo bridge at Crown Street. Crown Street westward to Bank Corner, & Charlton Street (Hunter Street West) west from the Bank Corner. The numbers were all changed to the current series after Hunter Street was extended east from Watt Street to Telford Street about 1910.

NUMBERING SYSTEM (B) Todays Hunter Street was originally made up of four distinct streets each having a separate name & number..In 1850s or so, HUNTER ST, started at Watt St and ran to Crown Street, using the original numbering system. Later HUNTER ST ran from Pacific St, To Crown St, Then in 1908 from Telford St to Crown St with three different numbering systems, some are shown here, in Green eg (01 Hunter St ) are from pre 1909 Hunter St was then extended up to the west from Crown St to Cottage Creek (next to the Bellevue Hotel) After Cottage Creek you were entering into no mans land except for a small track running to Maitland. This section of Hunter St was known as BLANE STnumbers are shown here in Orange after 1909 eg (355 Blane StHunter St also became CHARLTON ST, (also known as Carlton St) from The Bank Corner (Cottage Creek) to the Islington bridge, eg, (23 Charlton St Wickham)
By the year 1930, the numbers are close to todays property numbers. During 1909 to about 1950 the Blue numbers have also been used, shown here in BLUE shown as eg (122-124 Hunter St / 42 Hunter St / 86 Hunter St Newcastle, 1909 Palings,) most times the color of the number will reflect the year numbering system.

Story of a sandhill
By NORM BARNEY
The late Norm Barney wrote of Hunter Streets trials and tribulations in this piece, first published in the Newcastle Herald 20 years ago. 
IN the beginning it was just a track; It began near the sandhills and a few hundred metres later petered out in the scrub. It was hilly and water lapped at its northern edge.
It was given a name, Wellington Street, probably after the famous Duke and his part in the victory against Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815. The name did not last long, for in 1823 the surveyor Henry Dangar began his survey of Newcastle and the Hunter Valley. He dropped the name Wellington and it became Hunter Street.
The name was there but not much else. The track, for that's all it was, went only as far as today's Perkin Street. It was low, prone to flooding, surrounded by ti-tree scrub and made mostly of dirty black sand.
A few scattered houses, shops and hotels began to spring up along the track but even by the 1850s those residents who made their homes at the eastern end of the street, near Watt and Bolton streets, considered the Rouse Hotel to be "in the bush". The hotel stood on the site where the main entrance to the former David Jones building was today.
One early settler described it as a "straggly street in a straggling sort of town".
Another remembered it as an uneven, hilly street, which flooded after heavy rain.
Recalling the town in 1866, Mr Thomas Brown wrote that it was "surrounded by a tangled mass of brushwood" with "dilapidated fencing, wretched huts and lots of sand". The streets, including Hunter Street, were "unpaved, grass-grown and deserted".
Another pioneer settler recalled the street in the late 1850s as having a few shops that were "little more then lean-tos and humpies."
The area we know today as Scott Street was submerged at high tide. Those brave enough to build on the northern side of Hunter Street had to place their timber homes or shops on pillars or stilts to avoid being flooded.
Hunter Street was then much lower then it is today and many of the early shops were built high to avoid flooding. Customers had to climb as many as a dozen wooden steps to reach and enter a shop.
Climbing steps was not the only hazard faced by shoppers. The town and the street was once overrun by goats and at one time the local police were destroying up to 100 a week.
One of the early attempts to align the street in an organised way came in the 1850s. As the street was filled in, most of the shops "came down" to street level. But history records that one butcher shop near the corner of Hunter and Perkin streets got lower and lower as the street got higher and higher. In the end less then two metres of the shop front was showing above Hunter Street.
The butcher installed steps to allow his customers to descend to the shop and he displayed his meat at pavement level and employed a young boy to keep the bush flies away from the carcasses.
In the 1850s Mr Colin Christie, later to become mayor of Newcastle, worked in a boot and shoe shop opposite the site of David Jones. The timber shops were so small they were known around town as the "sardine boxes".
In 1857 Mr Christie recalled seeing a huge bed of sand outside the present post office. It may well have been Newcastle's first roundabout as it was used to "turn" bullock teams. In a paddock on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets - the site of the old State Bank - horses grazed and residents kept their carts and drays.
Reclaiming part of the harbour on the city side stabilised the area of Hunter Street down to Perkin Street. With the coming of the railway, businesses were on firmer ground.
Beyond Perkin Street there was little until Crown Street, and this was the boundary between the two areas.
For years the area we now call the West End was nothing more then a track. In the early 1850s the AA Company owned that section of track between Crown Street and what became known as Bank Corner. The company named it Blane Street, after one of the senior officials. It was to retain that name for almost 40 years before being re-named Hunter Street West.
The section of Hunter Street from the Bank Corner to Tudor Street was part of Charlton Street, which once went as far as the Islington bridge.
For many years Blane Street was "off limits" to many residents. To go west under the bridge was like crossing the border into a foreign country. But gradually the AA Company opened up its land and houses and shops began to appear along the street.
In the area between today's Crown and Darby streets there appeared a few shops - a timber yard, watchmaker, fruit shop, furniture shop and undertaker and, of course, the inevitable hotels. (In 1900 there were 26 hotels in Hunter Street; in 2013 there are five.) The land behind the shops was a paddock that attracted some of the early circuses (they also performed off Hunter Street, near today's King Street parking station and in the Market Street area).
A Mrs Nicholls, known locally as "Gentle Annie" was one of the early residents of Blane St and she lived near Crown Street. Gradually Blane Street opened up but it took many years to establish beyond Melville Street (now Union Street). A blacksmith occupied the site of what became the Newcastle Gas Company, and on the current Honeysuckle site there were about 100 houses. They later made way for the railway workshops and some were moved to Bullock Island (Carrington), Wickham and Stockton.
As the town evolved and progressed, so did Hunter Street. Transport was primitive, with horse-drawn buses bringing people to the town and the harbour. The coming of the railway made it easier for those who lived out of town and near a rail line to get to Hunter Street.
The introduction of steam trains in 1887 helped to attract even more people. The tram terminus was then at Perkin Street (Scott Street then ended at Market Street).
By this time horse-drawn transport had ruled for many years and Hunter Street was often crowded with horse-drawn buses, hansom cabs, carts, drays, carriages and sulkies.
Horse droppings became both a nuisance and a health hazard. The council employed men to clean up the streets every day but, while they could remove the evidence of the horses, the could not keep away the dirt, dust and flies that blew into shops and houses from the surrounding bush.
Speed was another problem. Drivers were often taken to court and fined for being in charge of a speeding horse or horses in Hunter Street.
In 1898 the council introduced a by-law prohibiting vehicular traffic, drawn by animals, to travel at more than walking pace between Watt and Brown streets on Saturdays and public holidays, up to 10.30am. It did little to stop accidents in the street.
While the original section of Hunter Street has been built up, part of Blane Street was still subject to flooding from high tides. In the middle of the last century a young man drowned near today's Technical College.
At the western end of Blane Street, near the Bank Corner, was Cottage Creek and on its eastern banks - near the Palais Royale - were two cemeteries, one for Catholics, the other for Presbyterians. It was also at the edge of the creek, in the very early days of the settlement, that the guard was posted to try and forestall escaping convicts.
Any improvements made to Hunter Street often meant an agreement between two or more councils. Part of the West End was in the Wickham municipality and this meant that both Newcastle and Wickham aldermen had to agree if money was to be spent in the western part of the street.
Over the years, aldermen on both councils met and talked interminably about how to improve the street. Funding was always the problem and there were always some aldermen who wanted to use the most up-to-date and expensive methods of paving or re-aligning the street.
Early photographs show it as dusty in dry weather and muddy in wet. There were always drainage problems and endless complaints of raw sewage entering the drains and eventually the harbour. The stench from some drains was said to be continuous and overwhelming.
Over the years the council discussed, and carried out, the sealing of parts of Hunter Street with wooden blocks, concrete and asphalt. This finally overcame the problem of mud and sand, which in wet weather saw one end of the street covered in black mud, the other in yellow-brown.
In the very early days of the settlement when names were given to the streets or tracks, Watt Street (originally George Street) was considered Newcastle's most important thoroughfare. Hunter Street began its western journey from Watt Street.
As Hunter Street grew in stature and length, the city fathers decided that the street should be extended to Pacific and then Telford streets. This meant that properties in Watt Street had to be purchased and demolished.
It took a special Act of Parliament and more than 20 years of lobbying and discussion before the way was clear to extend Hunter Street.

About street numbering in Newcastle.
As supplied by Bob Donaldson
Property numbering in Newcastle and its suburbs was almost never extensively advertised or recorded in the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries, making the exact location of older properties difficult to determine. Telephone directories and newspaper advertising commonly stated just Hunter Street or Hamilton, probably because of the lack of highly developed areas and the presumption that people would know where a particular property or person was located. To add to the difficulty of locating old properties, todays Hunter Street was originally made up of four distinct streets each having a separate name. The eastern end of todays Hunter Street did not exist until 1908 when, after some 21 years of lobbying, Hunter Street was extended from Watt Street to The Sandhills or todays Pacific Street. Not long after, it was extended further east to Telford Street, only to be cut off again at Pacific Street in recent times when Pacific Park subsumed the eastern extension and adjoining Hunter Street buildings. Todays Scott Street has also undergone a number of changes to numbering as buildings have been subsumed and demolished to make way for new parkland or future redevelopment. With the removal of the AA Companys rail bridge over Hunter Street in 1921, the western end of Newcastle began to develop quickly and what was originally known as Blane Street, in 1889, became part of the long main street where Hunter Street finally extended from Pacific Street in the east to Selma Street in the west. This extension also included the original Charlton Street, which ran from Cottage Creek, now adjoining Market Town Shopping Centre, to Selma Street in the west. What was Hunter Street, running from Tudor Street to Selma Street in the west, is now known as Maitland Road! As part of this amalgamation, street numbers regularly changed and, over time, property numbers on Hunter Street have commenced at Pacific Street, then from Telford Street, and now, again from Pacific Street, where they run continuously, to the west, without a numbering break. When using the original 19th Century numbering, add 64 to locate places using todays street numbering.
HENRY ENDERSBY AT 123 HUNTER STREET The Writers Grandfather was Henry Endersby, sometimes also own as Henry Sykes He was born in Perth, Western Australia to a large family that had immigrated to Perth, Western Australia from Cambridgeshire, in the early 1800s. By way of family disunity and separations, Henry, his sister and mother came to live at Pit Street in Newcastle, in 1874. As a teenager, Henry performed acrobatics at the Crystal Palace Gardens at Mayfield and at the Victoria Theatre. He also performed a variety of music events whilst learning his trade as a bootmaker and shoe salesman on Hunter Street. Later, he opened his third shoe and boot shop on Hunter Street following successful business in Lambton and Wallsend. Henry Endersbys Boot Store, located at 123 Hunter Street, in 1905, was on the site of todays 187 (approximately) Hunter Street, preceding the Scotts/David Jones complex. The exact location is now obscured by later development but is recorded in historic material, maps and images. Henry Endersby owned his boot and shoe store at 123 Hunter Street Newcastle from August 1905 until September 1910. He purchased the business from W Shirlow, Boot and Shoe Store in August 1905 and subsequently sold it to the Nobby Shoe Company of Sydney (later the Commonwealth Shoe Company) in September 1910. The manager of the Nobby Shoe Company/Commonwealth Shoe Company was David Leslie Sharp, who became Henrys son-in-law. David Sharp had married Henrys daughter, Florence Hannah Endersby, in December 1906 and they went on to establish Sharps Shoe Store in 1929 at 205 Hunter Street. David Sharp was 26 when he married Florence and was 30 when he was the manager of the Nobby Shoe Company, following its acquisition from Henry Endersby in 1910. Henry Endersbys HUNTER STREET Neighbours 121 Hunter Street On Hunter Street, the nearby site of Rouses Hotel, later Pearsons Furniture shop, at 121 Hunter Street, was redeveloped in about 1905 to offer William Scott additional space for his expanding business. The early building developed by William Scott remains today. The extant building at Scotts Corner was not completed until after 1913 so there were at least 3 years between when Henry sold his Hunter Street shoe business and the time when that shop, and others, were demolished to make way for a major building development as William Scott further developed his premises towards the west and onto the Perkin Street corner. 125 HUNTER STREET George Wielands property was clearly one of Henry Endersby neighbours on Hunter Street. Wielands Butcher Shop was located at 125 Hunter Street, therefore immediately to the west of Endersbys Boot and Shoe Store. Even though the name of his butchery on the canned meat can shows The Strand Butchery, the address is clearly 125 Hunter Street and is noted as being (almost) opposite the (Victoria) Theatre. The name Strand was commonly used on business premises in the Nineteenth Century. The Strand Theatre, further east on Hunter Street, came much later in 1914 when it occupied the site of the original Newcastle Borough Markets, at or near todays 123 Hunter Street. The name of the Strand Theatre and todays 123 Hunter Street have no connection with the property of either Endersby or Wieland. The other interesting connection is that the brand of the canned meat is shown as Nobby Brand, the same name that Henrys shoe store later assumed after he sold it in 1910 to the Nobby Shoe Company. Coincidental? These Newcastle Morning Herald images of 2.1.1899 were extracted from the Facebook site Lost Newcastle. They can also be found on a Trove search about George Wieland. The Wieland shop front can also be seen in the pre-1908 image below, immediately to the right or west of Henry Endersbys store with the large white name panel where the horse and cart are standing. In that later image, the decorative column brackets have gone but the wide span and arched opening between the columns, in that image, are just obvious. 127 HUNTER STREET, at Scotts Corner This pre-1908 image shows what would later become Scotts Corner, at the corner of Hunter and Perkin Street, Newcastle. It is likely that Henrys store, at 123 (now 187) Hunter Street, was located in the building with the covered bullnose verandah to the left of the photograph, possibly the shop with the large white panel. In this particular image, the signs are not readable. Compare this with the adjacent image, showing Henrys store at 123 Hunter Street with the large white business name panel above. That panel can be seen in both images above and below.
Scotts Corner, About 1908, at the convergence of Hunter and Scott Streets, Newcastle.
This is a famous Ralph Snowball image, looking south-west, showing the corner of Hunter and Wolfe Streets, Newcastle in August 1910. To the very right of the image, to the right of Scotts Ltd first building, can be seen a part of the building that Henry Endersby occupied on Hunter Street before Scotts Corner was established. Just visible are the bullnose upper verandah, white fabric sun blinds and long slender verandah posts. The original image also shows stock and marketing panels being displayed at footpath level along the shop frontage. Compare this detail with the shop front image below. The same group of buildings today with the earlier Scotts building remaining to the east. Google Earth image. All about to change again.
Sharps Shoe Store From 1929 to 1973, Sharps Shoe Store was located at 205-207 Hunter Street Newcastle. The building at 205 Hunter Street is now the Newcastle Family Practice building, providing GP services. There is no record of a shoe store at this address before 1929. Old images initially suggested that the building may previously have been a produce store as the street awning shows the word LUCERNE. However, there are no horses or hay bales to be seen in any image! Further investigation of more recent images shows a series of shops to the west of the Crown and Anchor Hotel. These included G Caldwell, Jeweller, Newcastle Bag Store and Lucerne, now identified as a butcher shop, adjoining Sharps Shoe Shop. The butcher shop later became Australian Sea Foods, then McGavins Butcher Shop, Newcastle Bag Store later became Smarts Bag Store and G Caldwell Jeweller subsequently moved a block to the east and re-established on the south-western corner of Hunter and Wolfe Street. It seems unlikely that, in the midst of a row of quality stores, there would be a farm produce store showing Lucerne. Lucerne was one of a number by that name that had traded in Newcastle and inner suburbs since well before World War 1. The Hunter Street butcher shop was closed on 29.7.1943 due to the shortage of manpower at the height of World War 2. Their remaining two stores at 133 Scott Street and Hamilton Road (now Denison street), Hamilton remained open during the war. The butcher shop was soon taken over by others and the premises were occupied by a number of butchers until the end of the McGavin era. In fact, McGavins took over a number of Lucernes butcher shops in later years including the stores on Hunter Street and at 133 Scott Street. They eventually had more than 20 butcher shops in the region. Ref: Newcastle Sun, Lucerne Meat Market advertisements 31.8.1918 and 29.7.1943. Sharps Shoe Store was therefore located immediately to the west of the long-term butcher shop, with Winns Department Store, immediately to the west. There it remained until the shoe store was taken over by the Wyatt family, following the death of Florence Sharp in 1976.
277 HUNTER STREET NOVAK CAMERA COMPANY
Jaroslav and Clare Novak took over the photographic business of C T Lorenz in the late 1950s, having arrived from South Africa and the worked for that business in the early 1950s. The business was located on the street level at 277 Hunter Street, in the Corona Building, originally built in 1935 by the Australian Agricultural Company. The shop was mid-way between Crown and Darby streets in what became known as the Crown-Darby block. It was a small shop with a high ceiling and above the main sales floor was a mezzanine which served as the shops office where Claire Novak kept the business in order. The shop had a side window that looked on to the foyer entrance of the Corona Building. The shop therefore had good passing trade exposure and the Hunter Street window was always filled with amazing and new photographic equipment.
The above information was supplied by Bob Donaldson

What inspired me to tackle such a project .... By Spero Davias
What inspired me to tackle such a task as to try and identify some of the older shops and businesses in the Newcastle CBD and in particular Hunter Street.  As a young Electrical contractor working for myself, I was lucky to have had friends and relatives who owned  shops. cafe's and businesses in Hunter St.
It all started with one person who told the next person about my electrical fault finding abilities and so my business grew around the CBD.  I was so relied upon to give instant attention and urgent electrical serviceto my clients in The CBD that it made it very difficult to take on to much work outside the area.
So to cut a long story short, i knew most of the premises in the CBD 'back to front'
By Spero Davias
Updated : 2019

Thanks to :
www.whatwasthere.com Pam Marley
Matthew Glenn Ward
Lost Newcastle Facebook
Google
Trove & The National Library of Australia

https://colourise.sg/

FOR OFFICE USE BELOW

Still to chase up.. METROPOLITAN HOTEL NEWCASTLE, 1883
written 1940... Past Auckland Street there were the Carpenter's Arms and the Prince of Wales. Then came the Star, kept In 1867 by Sneddon, but in later years well known as Hughie Cameron's house. Prince Royal Hotel Blane St 1878 owner retiring Victorian Hotel, Honeysuckle Point 1878 Price of wales hotel cnr hunter & bolton 1878

Uncatalogued Stores due to wrong numbering system HUNTER STREET WICKHAM & HUNTER STREET NEWCASTLE WEST (looking for equivalent property numbers today)
1 Hunter St Wickham D.B.Flet Sister
1 hunter st wickham, Dental Mech
65-67 hunter st wicham, Kemp & Liddell Pty.Ltd Dental Suppliers

91 Hunter St Wickham,  
1950 - Elsdon W.R. Cattell & Company Accountants.

99 Hunter St Wickham, Previously : in 1950 it was E.J.Wiggs, Agent House and Land

21 Hunter St Wickham Metal Trades Employers Association. NRMA
81 hunter st wickham, Arnall's Electrical Service Co 169 hunter st wickham, Southebys Auction Marts, Auctioneers 99 Hunter St Wickham E.J. Wigg, Auctioneers
1950
57 hunter st wickham UE Industries ltd Engineers Power tx 89 Hunter st Wickham, West End Milk Bar
87 Hunter St Wickham,  Previously : in 1950 it was F.Campbell, Bookseller
Geo P Lock adv in 1898 225 hunter st west, monumental work
Sorbys adv in 1908 at hunter st west 1 Hunter St Ncle west, F.M.& R.M.BoyDell, Agents Financial

(office use only)  y1909-Hst p648,  y1910-p670 ,p942,  y1920 Hst-p942-p946,  y1930-p1373, y1940-p787, ) 1932, p723
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

By Spero Davias

End of North Side 
Go To History of Hunter St - South Side

History of Hunter St - North Side