The History of Hunter Street
Hunter Street,  Information Pages  (H2)
Lost Hunter Street, Newcastle NSW Au
By Spero Davias

Map of Hunter St (updated 29-02-2020)

under test
North side of Hunter Street (updated) Hunter St South side of Hunter Street
Telford Street Telford Street
2 Corner Hunter & Telford Sts Newcastle, East End,  Built as The Wombah Flats in 1920
  • 1910 - Charles Treleven, 1910-1920, Wateman
  • 1920 - Built as the Wombah Flats in Telford Street
  • 1930 - The Vienna Cafe. The building was built in 1910, it was over the road from the California and on the corner of Hunter and Telford Streets, The original Vienna Cafe was fitted out by businessman Kurt Picardi back in the early years.  I recall, around 1958 the Vienna was totally renovated by the new owner Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas who was also known by his stage name Valentino or Rudy. just after his return from a stint in Hollywood.
  • 1979 - The building was demolished, now part of Pacific Park.
  • The Vienna Cafe .. I recall the owner, Demetrios had bought one of the first black & white television sets in the neighbourhood. He had it placed in the back room of the Cafe. As I was living just a few doors down the street in Hellenic Court, he invited me in to watch TV anytime....  The TV intrigued me so much but not as much as the TV antenna installation...  I was stunned at watching the TV Antenna installers putting up a 50 foot mast up on the roof of the building.... Then for weeks i would sit outside the cafe and stare at this 'Antenna on the roof' and thinking " how does all this work ?"  What goes down those two wires?, What makes this thing tick !!, How do those things appear on the screen through a couple of of bits of wire.... For those that know me, "The rest is History"....
Hunter St 1 Corner Hunter & Telford Street's Newcastle, East End
  • 1926 - Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1926 - The Wattle Cafe
  • 1930 - F. E. Notley 1930-1935, Fruiterer
  • 1935 - The California Cafe, was Relocated at 1 Hunter after closing down its operations at 147 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1979 - The California Cafe & the surrounding buildings where demolished to allow for the extension of Pacific Park
  • Currently - Pacific Park  
  • The California Cafe was Relocated to # 1 Hunter after closing down its operations at 147 Hunter St Newcastle (4 doors from Wolf St) in 1935 to make way for the opening on July the 30th 1936 of the new Selfridge's Department store..
4 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1929 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills 
  • 1929 - The Canberra Cafe, 1929 -1936, Fixtures and fittings were auctioned off at the Kosciusko Cafe venue
  • 1930-  The Shortland Cafe, 1930-1943 was sold in 1936, reopened as the Shortland Cafe
  • 1945 - The Morris Cafe. 1945-1950
  • 1979 - The building was demolished, now part of Pacific Park
Hunter St 3 Hunter St Newcastle,  East End
  • 1926 - It was the east end sand hills
  • 1930 - F. E. Notley, 1930-1938 Book Seller & Stationary
  • 1950 - Liquid Gold, a clothing store.
  • 1960 - Pauls Laundry
  • 1979 - The buildings where demolished, to allow for the extended Pacific Park
  • Currently- Pacific Park
6 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1929 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1930 - Gartrell White Ltd, 1930-1935, Cake and Pastry Depot, Also Aeroplane Flour Dept
  • 1932 - M.S. Riddle, 1932-1935, Mixed Business Store
  • 1938 - M.L. Frith, 1938-1940,  Grocer & Confectioners
  • 1948 - MacNeill's Cafe 1948-1950
  • 1950 - The Original Shipmates, began during January 1950It was the brainchild of the pioneer restaurateur Clem Ashford, a tattooed adventurer who returned from the South Seas in 1975 to shake up the local food scene. As well as having some of the best chips and hamburgers in Newcastle. Clem also opened up two other shops right across the road. They were Shipmates Dairy Delight, a milkshake shop and Shipmates Sugar & Spice a donuts and hamburger shop. Clem was a wee bit ahead of his time and a great operator.Clem Ashford later also created Clams, a landmark seafood restaurant at Merewether.
  • 1979 - The building was demolished, now part of Pacific Park.
  • For more fascinating stories on Clem Ashford
Hunter St Hunter St Newcastle, East End
  • 1920 - It was the east end sand hills
  • 1920 - Ern Moroney
  • 1930 - Mrs J. Field, 1930 - 1932
  • 1938 - Ralph Sundstrom
  • 1950 - Northern Spectacle & Optical Co Pty Ltd. Proprietor James Kingston. Later moved to 114 Hunter St
  • 1955 - Beach Hut a clothing store.
  • 1979 - The buildings where demolished to allow for the extended Pacific Park
  • Currently - Pacific Park
Hunter St 7 Hunter St Newcastle,  East End
  • 1920 - Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1920 - William W. Chandler, 1920-1932
  • 1938 - Mrs M. Thompson
  • 1950 - Shipmates Dairy Delight, a milkshake and ice cream shop.1951
  • 1979 - The buildings where demolished to allow for the extended Pacific Park
  • Currently - Pacific Park
6a Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1935 - T. P. Ryan, Tailor
  • 1953 -  Dr Wilkinson, Upper Floor
Hunter St Hunter St Newcastle,  East End
  • 1920 - Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1920 - James A. Miller
  • 1920 - David J. Quinn, 1920-1938
  • 1930 - C. Wheatley
  • 1932 - J. Kelly, 1932-1938, Tailor
  • 1950 - Shipmates Sugar & spice, Clem Ashford's very popular Hamburger and Donuts shop.
  • Currently - Pacific Park
Hunter St 11 Hunter St Newcastle,  East End
  • 1920 - Vacant land and sand hills
  • 1920 - Mrs Cath Logan
  • 1930 - Mrs, E. J. Harris, 1930-1938
  • 1950 - Play O Mat, a slot car racing and amusement games centre. This was owned by Alec Hankin from A Hankin and company
  • Currently - Pacific Park
8 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1938 - Vacant land part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1940 - Blakes Book Shop
  • 1953 - The Pacific Cafe, which was directly across the road from the Kosciusko Cafe,  The Pacific Cafe was very large, with serving counters at both sides as you entered. It was operated by Chris Sofianos and Stan Tsohadsis, who were Cousins and partners / proprietors. The Pacific Cafe was.sold in 1959.  Chris then went on to Red Funnel.Fisheries in Wharf Road.
  • 1979 - The building was demolished, now part of Pacific Park
Hunter St 13 Hunter St Newcastle,  East End
  • 1950 - Frut Shop, Abraham
  • 1979 - The buildings where demolished to allow for the extended Pacific Park
  • Currently - Pacific Park
Note - Back in the 1960's and 1970's,
  • This particular block of shops in Hunter St between Telford and Pacific Street, (now demolished) was the most popular part of Hunter St  'top of town',  a late Saturday night Hamburger was just the thing after a big night out !
Hunter St 15-17 Hunter St Newcastle, East End
  • 1919 - Vacant land and sand hills
  • 1920 - # 15 - I.M. Wilks
  • 1920 - # 17 - Mrs E.E. Edwards, Fruiterer
  • 1930 - # 17 - Mrs H. McGregor, Cafe
  • 1938 - The Beach Milk Bar
  • 1942 - The Kosciusko Cafe, proprietors were Basil Stavros (Stavrianopoulos) and John Rafty who were partners. 
  • 1979 - The buildings where demolished to allow for the extended Pacific Park
  • Currently - Pacific Park
Pacific Park Pacific Park
Pacific Street Pacific Street
North side of Hunter Street (updated) South side of Hunter Street
34-36 Cnr Hunter St / 10-12 Hunter St, Newcastle, (in 1932-50 it was known as 10 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1938Lawrence & Hanson Electrical Pty. Ltd. 1938-1950, Electrical Wholesalers & Radio Supplies 10 Hunter St
  • Currently - Backpackers by the Beach
  • Property Owner: J A RICHARDSON 2300
Hunter St

19 Hunter St  / 33 Hunter St  Newcastle,  East End, The Essington Apartments Building

  • 1930 - Denes & Denes, Refreshment Rooms, the proprietors were Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes, Originally from the Greek island of Ithaca. He was only 16 when he left home in a sailing ship bound for America. The ship called at Port of Newcastle, and Mr. Denes decided to stay. He owned the Moccado cafe at the corner of Hunter and Pacific Streets right up to the time of his death. This was one of many cafe's located on this block.
  • 1940 - The Moccadore Cafe proprietor Denes Koutsouvelis.
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home wth retail shops below
  • 2001 - The New Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, wth retail shops below
  • 2004 - The Bogie Hole Cafe, Aaron Buman
  • Currently - Moor Cafe
38-40 Hunter St / 14-16 Hunter St, Newcastle
  • 1930 - Vacant land to 1935 (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1932 - Mrs A Clarke, 1938-1950, Florist  18 Hunter St
  • 1935 - A. Clark, 1935-1950, Boot and Shoe repairers.  18 Hunter St
  • 1935 - John Layfield & Co, Horehound beer bar    16 Hunter St
  • 2010 - Missy Mou, clothing Store
  • 2015 - Q Hair, Hairdresser  Lueur Hair Studio
  • 2017 - Knot
  • Currently - Lueur Hair Studio
  • Property Owner:R TESLA 2010
Hunter St
42-44 Hunter St / 18 Hunter St,  Newcastle
  • 1930 - Vacant land (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1930 - Jones & Jones Cafe 1930-1935
  • 1932 - Church & Youll,  Solicitors   20 Hunter St
  • 2008 - Current - Edward Cross Photography   
  • Property Owner:C J LAWLOR
Hunter St
46 Hunter St / 20 Hunter St,  Newcastle, (in 1932 start of 16 Hunter St)
  • 1930 - Vacant land 1930-1938 (up and until 1930 this was vacant land)
  • 1938 - Natural Health Store, Grocer & Cafe
  • 1950 - Wellbeing Massage Therapy
  • 2008 - Current - Wellbeing Massage Therapy  
  • Property Owner:C J LAWLOR 2299
Hunter St
48-58 Hunter St / 24 Hunter St,  Newcastle,  Multi Story, The Sun Building
  • 1926 - Mrs W. Armstrong, Confectionary
  • 1932 - W. Armstrong, Jeweller 
  • 1940 - Radio 2NX   1940 to 1970  Associated with the Sun Newspaper from 1926.
  • 1952 - Willmore and Randell
  • 1960 - Level 5, Police, Special Opps
  • 1970 - Level 3, Gym
  • 2010 - Level 5, Yoga Loft.
  • NoteThe Sun Building  with various tenants includingKingston Properties, eamarked in 2019 for a major refit of the top floors
  • 2008 - Current - SiDCOR chartered accountants
Hunter St
60 Hunter St / 26 Hunter St,  Newcastle
  • 1930 - Lawrence & Hanson Electrical, Office     26 Hunter St,
  • 1935 - Prudential Assur Co Ltd, 1935-1940
  • 1970 - Police Credit Union, office
  • 1980 - Stuart & Dunn, Stationers
  • 2008 - HR Workbench
  • 2015 - Bridges Newcastle East,
  • Currently - Vacant
  • Property Owner:RJR INVESTMENTS PTY LIMITED 2291
Hunter St
64 Hunter St / 28 Hunter St,  Newcastle
  • 1930 - Vacant land up to 1930
  • 1930 - Adelaide Tailoring Co Ltd, 1930-1932
  • 1930 - The Commonwealth Savings Bank
  • 1920 - W.E. Smith Ltd, Printers and manufacturing stationers
  • 1976 - Nick's Barber Shop
  • 2006 - Tony's Hairdressing
  • Currently - Tony's Hairdressing
  • Property Owner: A RUFO 2303
Hunter St
66-68 Cnr Hunter St / 30 Hunter St Newcastle  National Bank Chambers
  • 1919 - Lang Wood & Co
  • 1920 - F.J. Street, Hairdresser & Tobacconist
  • 1920 - E. F. Wilks & Co Pty Ltd, 1920-1945, Piano sales
  • 1930 - General Sports Co, Sporting Requirements
  • 1930 - HC Lockwood, Hardware Merchant
  • 1930 - Newcastle Sun Newspapers,  Evening Daily newspaper, The Northern Times was first published in 1916. In 1918 the Times was purchased by Sir Hugh Denison, publisher of The Sun who changed the name to The Newcastle Sun..The Newcastle Sun was acquired by Newcastle Morning Herald in 1936 and continued until 1980 when it ceased publication.
  • 1933 - Radio 2KO  Newcastle  Broadcasting Pty Ltd,1933-1945, In 1933, the station was operated from several locations including 72 Hunter St, until January 1937, then it moved to new studios and offices in the heart of Newcastle in the CML Building at 110 Hunter Street.
  • 1935 - National Nank of Australasia Ltd
  • 1938Upper Level, Douglas Pty Ltd, Merchants, Tasmanian Government Tourist Bureau, Globe Racing Service,  L.E. Lewis, Chiropodist,    Willmore & Randell, Agent House and Land, Burroughs Ltd, Adding Machines, Wanted, Senior Burroughs Calculator operator and Senior Burroughs Ledger Machlne Operator.
  • Newcastle Amateur Radio ClubSydney Daily Telegraph,  Newcastle Aero ClubLeslie E.Thompson & Co, AccountantCol Mutual Life Asurance Soc Ltd, E. M. Engert, Dealer,  Stronach Pty Ltd, Builders,  Upper Level, L.G. Regan, Agents Financial,   K.F. Gilligan, Agent House and Land,    Australasian Cath Truth Society, The Surf Life Saving Association of Australia,     The Federal Taxation Dpt,   EF Wilks & Co,    J. Braun, Barrister, Homecrafts, refrigerators etc, Gordon and Gotch Australia Ltd.Bookseller,  F. J. Jamieson and Son, Builders
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Jones C Campbell, Accountant,    McGregor & McGregor, Accountant,   F.L. Rouse, Agents Financial, 
  • 1950 - Upper Level, W.I. Evans,  Agents Manufacturing,      E. Farrell, Agents Manufacturing,       G.T. Hick, Agents Manufacturing, Newcastle Rugby Union
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Jeater, Rod & Hay, Architects, R.G.Lees, Architects, Florist Needlecraft, Art Needlework, Australian Red Cross
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Assoc of Employers Union of Waterside Labour, Australian Railways Union,  Australian Steamship Owners Federation.
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Newcastle & Dist Assoc for Crippled Children, R.A. Jones, Chiropractor
  • Currently - Multi story Office Block building
  • Property Owner: UNIBUILD HOLDINGS PTY LIMITED 2284
Hunter St
Watt Street Watt Street




Map of Hunter St
Pacific Street
Pacific Street






21 Hunter St  / 35 Hunter St  Newcastle, The Essington Apartments 
  • 1932 - Southern Union Insurance Co Ltd
  • 1932 - Fassifern Coal Co Ltd
  • 1938 - Croft Bros Pty Ltd, Colliery Owners 
  • 1940 - Dorothea Salon, Children.s fashion
  • 1945 - Max Stemler, 1945-1950,
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home wth retail shops below
  • 2001 - The New Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, wth retail shops below
  • Currently - Restaurant Mason  Modern Australian fine dining

23 Hunter St  / 37 Hunter St  Newcastle,  Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - Palais De luxe, 1930-1932, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1930 - Upper Level, The Greek Club
  • 1940 - The Hortons, Tea Rooms
  • 1941 - Peters Better Cakes. its proprietors then were Peter Sourlos, and Alexander Zeppos.
  • 1947 - The Vogue Cafe, the proprietors were Alexander Zeppos from 58 Church St. and Peter SourlosIt had its own bakery upstairs.
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above and retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail & shops below
  • Currently - Entrance foyer to the Essington Apartments above


25 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - J.A. Myers  Stationer & Bookseller
  • 1932 - A Smalley
  • 1938 - J. Neville, Newsagent & Stationer 
  • 1950 - T.J. Ledsam, Newsagent
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above and retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail & shops below
  • Currently - Entrance foyer to the Essington Apartments above
48-58 Hunter St / 16a Hunter St)  Newcastle, The Sun Building
  • 1926 - Mrs W. Armstrong, Confectionary
  • 1932 - W. Armstrong, Jeweller 
  • 1940 - Radio 2NX   1940 to 1970 
  • 1960 - Level 5, Police Special Opps
  • 1970 - Level 3, Gym
  • 2010 - Level 5, Yoga Loft.
  • Note - Multi Story Building with various tenants
    2008 - Current - SiDCOR chartered accountants


60 Hunter St / 18 Hunter St,  Newcastle,
  • 1932 - A. Clarke, Bootmaker
  • 1938Mrs A Clarke, 1938-1950, Florist  18 Hunter St
  • 1970 - Police Credit Union, office
  • 1980 - Stuart & Dunn, Stationers
  • 2008 - HR Workbench
  • 2015 - Bridges Newcastle East,
  • Currently - Vacant

27 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1921 - The Oxford CafePhone B1980
  • 1947 - The Paragon Cafe purchased by brothers John Raftos & Nick Raftos
  • 1932 - Charker & Co, 1932-1938, Auctioneers
  • 1932 - Hart & Welford, Dressmakers
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above and retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail & shops below
62 Hunter St / 20 Hunter St,  Newcastle, 
  • 1929 - Vacant land
  • 1930 - E Charles Church, Solicitor
  • 1932 - Church & Youll,  Solicitors 20 Hunter St
  • 2008 - SunCity, Solariums
  • 2015 - Exhale, Beauty Emporium
  • 2018 - Miskonduct Klothing
  • Currently - EzyMart , Conveniance Store

29 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - Reg Lazarus, Fruit Shop
  • 1930 - J. F. Leach, Cafe,
  • 1932 . C. Atmore, Cafe
  • 1954 - Dens Deli, Proprietor was Nick Politis, having been a deli when he bought it and he converted it to a sandwich bar 
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above and retail below
  • 2001 - The New Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail & shops belo
64 Hunter St / 22 Hunter St,  Newcastle
  • 1930 - Vacant land
  • 1930 - Adelaide Tailoring Co Ltd, 1930-1932
  • 1930 - The Commonwealth Savings Bank
  • 1938 - Natural Health Store, Grocer & Cafe
  • 1976 - Nick's Barber Shop
  • 2006 - Current - Tony's Hairdressing
  • Property Owner: A RUFO 2303

31 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - W.G. Watson & Co, 1930-1938, Electrical Engineers
  • 1940 - Kia-ora Cafe, 1943 Under new management......    Nick Politis delecatesen ??
  • 1945 - Layfields, Cafe
  • 1946 - Kad's Cafe, FIRE IN CAFE 1947 Firemen forced their way into Knd's Cafe, in Hulonter-street, Newcastle when a refrigerator motor caught fire  at 5.30 a.m. yesterday.. They smothered the fire with cloths. Electric wiring on the motor was slightly damaged.
  • 1956 - All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above 
  • 2001 - Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below
66-72 Hunter St / 24 Hunter St Newcastle  A multi story Building
  • 1919 - Vacant land and part of the Newcastle East Sand Hills
  • 1930 - General Sports Co, Sporting Requirements
  • 1930 - Lawrence & Hanson Electrical, Office
  • 1930 - HC Lockwood, Hardware Merchant
  • 1933 - Radio 2KO  Newcastle  Broadcasting Pty Ltd,1933-1945,
  • 1930 - Newcastle Sun Newspapers,  ...
  • 1920 - F.J. Street, Hairdresser & Tobacconist

33 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - Gordon & Gotch Aust Ltd, Wholesale Newsagents, the largest independent distributor and wholesaler of printed media which includes magazines and books.
  • 1941 - Upper floor, Newcastle Academy of Stage Dancing (Opp. The Old .Sun. Building). Principal: Jeanne Nicholas.
  • 1940 - Vacant
  • Henry Henke Jewelery ?
  • 1956 - All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above 
  • 2001 - Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below  


35 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1920 - Upper Level, Union Pictures Ltd,    The Newcastle Registration Board,   The Newcastle Jockey Club Ltd, 1932-1940.
  • 1940 - Upper Level, The Newcastle Rugby Football League,
  • 1950 - Browns Boot Hospital,  Boot and Shoe repairers.
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above with retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail & shops below


37 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1930 - Johnson & Hey,1930-1938, Typewriter Agents
  • 1956 -  Buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail below.
  • Currently - The Entrance Foyer to the Essington Apartments


39 Hunter St Newcastle East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1938 - International Business Machines, 1938-1944,  
  • 1944 - The Beach Fish Cafe, The proprietors were, My Father, George Davias and Agapitos Montiadis, (James George Morris) as partners, James Morris was the father of  our local Politicians, Peter Morris and  Allan  Morris that later, where elected as federal members of parliament. The Beach Fish Cafe was also chosen to supply all meals to the nearby Jail Cells at Newcastle Police Station just down the road in Hunter St.After the demolition and the rebuild of the new nurses home, the shops where handed back to the previous owners, but unfortunately the new Beach Fish Cafe turned out to be quite small which made it unsuitable as the cafe it used to be. James Morris took over the lease and used the space, trading as a Health food shop until he later moved the business to Hamilton...I remember walking down to Dad's shop to watch the Queen drive past in February 1954
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home with retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail  below
  • 2008 - Current Rosina's Italian Restaurant and Pizza


41 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The Essington Apartments Building
  • 1932 -J.W. Thomas, Butcher 
  • 1938 - R.H.B. Carcase Butcher
  • 1950 - Fruit Shop owned by brothers John and George Lekatsas (Lucas). and earlier, owned by Basilis Tsolakis. Phone 354.
  • 1952 - Fruit Shop was purchased by Reg Lazarus. who continued to run the Fruit Shop up and until its demolition in 1957. After the reconstruction phase, Reg took back the shop and reopened as a fruit shop again.
  • 1940 - R.H.Robertson, 1940-1950, Butchers & Carcass.
  • 1950 - Australian Red Cross
  • 1956 - All buildings were demolished for the construction of The New Nurses Home above and retail below
  • 2001 - The Nurses Home was converted to the Essington Apartments, with retail below
  • Currently- Car Park driveway to The Essington Apartments


43 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, The T&G Building with various tenants
  • 1890 - The Great City Oyster SaloonProprietor,  Zograf Hresto applied for a wine licence on the premises. It was finally granted.  
  • 1891 - Upper Floor, Charleston Studios, Photographer
  • 1904 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe .as Advertised,  The Cosmopolitan Cafe will be opened on the 3rd September 1904 when a splendid Band will perform a choice selection of music. The whole of the day's takings will be given to the Newcastle Hospital, Zograf Hresto, Proprietor. James Cofteros, Manager. As advertised in 1904, Mr. Zograf Hresto desires to inform the public that he has made extensive alterations and improvements In the premises lately known as The Great City Oyster Saloon which has been considerably enlarged both upstairs and down, and altered into a Modern Cafe, with Spacious, Ladies Room and all conveyances under the name of the .Cosmopolitan Cafe. which was situated next door to Washington H. Soul's.  Zograff Hresto passed away around 1905 and the premise auctioned.
  • 1905 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe was taken over by proprietors, Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes, As advertised in the Herald 1905, .The Cosmopolitan Cafe41 Hunter-St, Newcastle.  Now Open under New Management..Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes having taken over the above well-known Cafe, hope to merit a fair share of patronage by providing FIRST-CLASS MEALS at MODERATE CHARGES, and catering generally,for the comfort of the public at large. fresh Fish and Oysters. Daily. Suppers Supplied. All the furnishings are elaborate and up to date. DENES and DENES, Proprietors.
  • 1922 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe was taken over by The Rafty Brothers
  • 1923 - The Existing building was demolished to make way for The construction of the New T&G Building for McIlwraith McEacharn Line Pty Ltd and named Scottish House. It was designed by Spain and Cosh and built by Stuart Brothers. The cost of the building and land amounted to approximately 100,000
  • 1930 - Upper Floor, South British Insurance Co Ltd, 1930-1932, Queensland Insurance Co. Ltd.
  • 1935 - Property purchased by the T & G Mutual Life Assurance Society for approx $90,000, in what was then the biggest sale of any single freehold property in Newcastle.
  • 1937 - The tower was added which became a feature of each of the T & G company buildings
  • 1938 - Farrs Markets Ltd,
  • 1940 - Clue Ribbon, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1950 - Upper Floors - Cromarty & Turner, Accountants.
  • 1950 - Flick Pest Control
  • 1990 - Known as Hunter House
  • Currently- The T&G Building
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
45  Cnr Hunter St Newcastle,  East End,  The T&G Building with various tenants (1920 numbering  system)
  • 1932 - Mollwraith, McEacharn Ltd, Shipping Agents
  • 1930 - Ways Ltd, Cafe
  • 1932 - GF, Royal Exchange Assurance & State Assurance Co Ltd
  • 1932 - Basement, Railway & Tramway Institute
  • 1932 - 2nd Floor,  F.S.Scorer,1932-1950, Accountant
  • 1932 - 3rd Floor, W.I. Evans, 1932-1950, Agents Manufacturing, The PMG Dept, inspectors & EngineersBritish General Electric Co Ltd, Coal Carriers,  Carrier
  • 1937 - The tower was added and became a feature of each T & G company building
  • 1940 - Upper Floors - Hunter Commonwealth Institute of Accountants, Institute. 1940-1950, Lloyds Register of Shipping.
  • 1940 - Upper Floors - Blennerhassett Institute of Accountancy, 1940-1950, Business Colleges, 
  • 1940 - Upper Floors - International Correspondence Schools Pty  Ltd,  The Newcastle Business Men's Club, 1940-1950
  • 1940 - Upper Floors - P.W. Saddington & Son Pty Ltd, 1940-1950, Agents Manufacturing, A.C.Langwill,  Agents Manufacturing
  • 1940 - Upper Floors - MacDonald.s, Hamilton & Co, 1940-1950, Agents Mercantile, Boys E James, Chiropodists.
  • 1948 - Upper Floors - Jeater, Rod & Hay, Architects, Produce Broker, Anderson and Bond.   
  • Currently - The T&G Building Formerly known as Scottish House
Watt St

Watt St
74-76 Cnr Hunter St / 32 Hunter St  Newcastle, National Bank Chambers
  • 1895 - Ball Bros, Grocers, Provision, Wine, and Produce Merchants,
  • 1909 - The Christian's Center, 1909-1950, Bookseller.
  • 1920 - The National Bank of Australasia Ltd, 1920-1930
  • 1950 - G.R. Felser,  Accountant
  • Currently - Multi story with various tenants.
Hunter  St 49-51 Cnr Hunter St / 01 Hunter St  Newcastle,  East End,  Westpac Building,  (in1909 the new Numbering System 01 Hunter St begins here)
  • 1800 - Residence of John Bingle, coal and shipping Pioneer, on the corner set back off the road, surrounded by a garden and date palms in front of the house.
  • 1828 - The Newcastle Inn,  John Huxham who arrived in the Elizabeth in 1826 was Innkeeper at The Newcastle Inn in 1828 and probably earlier. One of eight Inns in Newcastle in 1828, the Newcastle Inn was described in 1829 as a large brick Inn with good stabling and accommodation.In 1830 when John Huxham was granted a publican's license for the Newcastle Inn it was stated that he had held a license for four years and that John Hooke was proprietor of the house. Andrew Sparke and Edward Priest gave sureties and the license was granted with a fee of 25 pounds. In 1830 both John Hooke and John Huxham fell into debt and the Inn was to be sold at auction
  • 1831 - Commercial Hotel  Croft Proprietor, In 1835, 1836 and 1837 Simon Kemp changed the name of the Inn and was granted a license under the new name of the Commercial Inn Hotel.  In November 1859 the building was destroyed in the most disastrous fire ever seen in Newcastle. Simon Kemp held the license for the Newcastle Inn from 1831 to 1834. He held the license for the Commercial Hotel between 1835 and 1837, He died in 1867
  • 1832 - The Australian Joint  Stock Bank had selected an allotment on Watt Street. The land, however, passed through the hands of two other owners before the bank opened its Newcastle branch there in June 1852.
  • 1852 - The Australian Joint  Stock Bank 1852-1910 (T.N. O.Neil, Mgr) The Australian Joint Stock Bank was created in 1852 by an Act of the New South Wales Parliament. It issued its first banknotes in 1862. In 1910, the Australian Bank of Commerce was registered in New South Wales under the Joint Stock Companies Act to take over the Australian Joint Stock Bank. In 1917, it acquired the City Bank of Sydney In 1931, the Bank of New South Wales (now Westpac) acquired the Australian Bank of Commerce  01 Hunter St
  • 1853 - Bank of NSW,  1853-1950, was the first to commence operations in Newcastle. 
  • 1876 - The Commercial Banking Co of Sydney, (Percy W Vaughan Mgr.)
  • 1911 - Australian Bank Of Commerce Ltd 1911-1930, (George Alexander Mgr)  in 1931 - Australian Bank of Commerce was taken over by the Bank of New South Wales.
  • 1920 - Upper Floor,  Liverpool & London & Globe Insurance Co Ltd, 1920-1930,Newcastle Jockey Club, Newcastle Registration Board
  • 1920 - Upper Floor, Liverpool & London Globe Insurance,  Boolaroo Racecourse Ltd,   L Cavalier, Optician
  • 1931 - Bank Of New South Wales, In 1931, the Bank of New South Wales (now Westpac) acquired the Australian Bank of Commerce The Australian Joint Stock Bank operated from 1852 to 1910, after which it became the Australian Bank of Commerce
  • 1950 - Upper Floor, Mcilwraith McEacharn Ltd, Agents Mercantile
  • Currently - Westpac, on the corner of Watt and Hunter Streets
82-86 Hunter St Newcastle, The Newcastle Post Office
  • 1860 - The Newcastle Post Office, The first Newcastle Post Office was opened on 1 March 1828,
  • 1872 - The Public Works Dept, Shops & Factories Dept, Old age pension Dept, 1872-1932 
  • 1932 - Health Dept, Weights & Measures, Education Dept.
  • Currently - 'The Lock UP' was Hunt & Hunt Lawyers

53 Hunter St / 03 Hunter St  Newcastle, East End, AMP Building
  • 1876 - A Savings Bank
  • 1891 - Scott The  Draper.  As advertised .SALE of Summer Dress Goods, Delaines, Muslims, etc., TO-DAY, and until every line is cleared, as .we must have more room for our fast increasing Millinery Department..
  • 1895 - City Banking Co of Sydney, (Percy W. Vaughan)  03 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Upper Floor, W.M. Shedden & Son, Auctioneers, real estate,   George Charles Greenham, Greenham Studio
  • 1920 - Upper Floor, The AMP Society,   North British & Merc Ins Co
  • 1930 - Donald, Chemist, 1930-1960
  • 1938 - Bank of NSW
  • Currently - The City Pharmacy
88 Hunter St Newcastle, The Electric Telegraph Office
  • 1861 - The Electric Telegraph Office  The Inspector weights and measurements, Health Dept. 1861-1930
  • 1891 - The School of Arts moved to premises at the Telegraph Office (Hunter Street)
  • Currently - 'The Lock UP' 

55 Hunter St / 05 Hunter St  Newcastle,  East End,  AMP Building
  • 1876 - Restuarant
  • 1905 - Savings Bank of NSW, (Walter F. Gale Mgr)
  • 1909 - South British Fire & Marine Insurance Co Ltd, 1909-1920, Later moved to Scott & Bolton Sts   05 Hunter St
  • 1927 - AMP building , Commercial Palazzo. Finely detailed sandstone facings concealing a steel reinforced concrete structure.
  • 1940 - Upper Floor, The AMP Society
  • 1970 - Pine's Fine Wines, 1970-2008,
  • Currently - Rowies Hunter Street Bottlemart
  • Property Owner:A J RUFO (Unit 6) 2300
  • The AMP building has local historical and aesthetic significance as part of a group of bank and insurance buildings constructed in the Newcastle CBD in the 1910s-1930s which transformed the streetscape of Hunter Street and consolidated its status as the city's primary business thoroughfare. The AMP building, as part of this group, signalled a new phase of commerce in the city, based on heavy industry, and gave banking and insurance a modern presence in the city in purpose-built premises.
90 Hunter St Newcastle, The Newcastle Police Station
  • 1859The Newcastle Police Station. 1859-1982,
  • 1890 - Police Station further extended
  • Currently - Timeless Textiles and The Lock-Up
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE HISTORIC (R98160) RESERVE TRUST 2300

57 Hunter St / 07 Hunter St Newcastle,  East End AMP Building
  • 1877 - The Australian Cafe, Adolph Kuhnell, Hamburger Coffee Palace & QCE Dining Rooms, As advertised in the Newcastle Herald in 1878 "Wanted, a useful Man, for kitchen, apply The Australian Cafe, 7 Hunter-street" As Advertised, 1889 "Australian Cafe - Luncheon, Grill and Supper Rooms, 7 Hunter street, opposite Telegraph Office. The Dining Room is now open. Grills to order. Tea and coffee always ready. Meals 1 shilling
  • 1891 - The Australian Cafe Mrs F. Leatheby, 1891-1905, the restaurant was Offered for Sale   7 Hunter St
  • 1909 - Donald Chemist, Robert C. Donald,  1909-1920, Chemist,  7 Hunter St
  • 1930 - AMP Chambers
  • 1940 - Upper Level, John M Roggero, Solicitor,  Sparke & Helmore, Solicitors,   J. V. Daniel, Accountant
  • 1950 - Upper Level, R.C. Vidal & Company, Accountant.
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Great Northern Discount & Fin Company Pty Ltd, Agents Financial 
  • Currently - Lucas & Associates Solicitors


59 Hunter St / 09 Hunter St  East End, Newcastle, P&O Building
  • 1863 - The City Restaurant.  shop 9 & 11 Hunter St,  as advertised, The Coolest Dining Rooms in the Northern District, are Fred Chambers. ( late Mr. Lashmore ) Ladies.Dining upstairs, where you can dine in comfort..  Lashmore's old established Pastry Cook and Confectioner's Business, with Restaurant attached, known as the City Restaurant, situated opposite the Police Station, Newcastle.
  • 1890 - The City Restaurant Mortgagee sale, offerd for sale as The City Dining Rooms 1891 Auctioned all fittings
  • 1895 - W. Mcleod, Books, Stationery and Newspapers.
  • 1905 - George Studdart,  Locksmith
  • 1909 - James H. McLean, Bootmaker  09 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Barnes Ltd, Bootmaker
  • 1930 - O. Ryans Tennis Shop
  • 1930 - Youngs Music House, George H Young, Proprietor
  • 1940 - The Queensland Insurance Co
  • 1986 - Newcastle Travel
  • 2008 - Surgery
  • Currently - The Medical Practice Newcastle, Dr. Lester Grace
  • Property Owner:C GRACE 2300


61 Hunter St / 11 Hunter St Newcastle, East End
  • 1863 - The City Restaurant.  (9 & 11 Hunter St) The Coolest Dining Rooms in the Northern District, are Fred Chambers. ( late Mr. William Lashmore ) Ladies.Dining upstairs, where you can dine in comfort.  Lashmore's old established Pastry Cook and Confectioner's BUSINESS, with Restaurant attached, known as the City Restaurant, situated opposite the Police Station, Newcastle offerd for sale.
  • 1890 - The City Restaurant offerd for sale, 1891 Auctioned all fittings
  • 1905 - L. Davies, Pastry Cook  11 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Upper Floor, P.C. Rudge & Co, Tailors
  • 1932 - C. V. Ell, Typewriter & Office Equipment
  • 1930 - The Coffee Inn, 1930-1950, Refreshment Rooms, The proprietor was Nicholas Scott & possibly Constandino Scott. Locatedt next to the Westminster Hotel and right opposite the old Newcastle Police Station and Post Office. .
  • 1970 - Hungry Johns Cafe owned by John Argiris who took over the old Coffee Inn and totaly refurbished the shop and reopened as Hungry Johns Cafe. John was one of Newcastle's finest chefs, John sold the business around 1986 to Nick Raftos then moved into a very busy take away food store on the 1st floor of Garden City Kotara (todays Westfield).
  • 1986 - Hungry Johns Cafe was sold to Nick Raftos, who moved the business into his own premises, The Westminster Hotel just 2 doors away.
  • 1986 - Newcastle Travel,
  • 2012 - Sandy Chong Hair Design,
  • 2008 - Current - Gallary
  • Property Owner: J A MORGAN 2289


63 Hunter St / 13 Hunter St  Newcastle, East End
  • 1897 - Henry Asser, Bookseller, Stationer & Stationer
  • 1905 - William Moore, Solicitor  13 Hunter St
  • 1909 - William E. Smith, Painter
  • 1909 - Alfred W. Ackroyd, Architect
  • 1909 - Whyte & Dean, Electrical Engineering
  • 1920 - William H. Bruce, Tailor
  • 1930 - Greentree & Robertson, 1930-1990, Chemist
  • 1950 - J.A. Robertson, Chemist
  • 1986 - Hunter Street Books, Athur Warner. Ex Ells Bookstore
  • 2008 - Warwick Hill, Family Law
  • 2017 - Doggy Chu
  • 2019 - Current - KiKi Fashion Co. on trend but exclusive female apparel fashion pieces 
  • Property Owner:J A MORGAN 2303


65 Hunter St / 15 Hunter St, Newcastle, East End, Westminster Apartments  Building  (In 1909 = 15 Hunter, In 1910 known as 65 Hunter) 35
  • 1840 - Joseph Spragg's, general store.Joseph Spragg's store was a general one in every sense of the word, where, so to speak, the customer, could purchase anything from a needle to an anchor.
  • 1870 - The Yacht Club Hotel  James Harrison Hubbard held the licence from 1867 - 1881. In the sixties, the ordinary bill of fare at the Yacht Club Hotel (on between 1 p.m. and 2 pm) was a grilled chop or steak, a hot potato and a pint of beer, all for 1s. It was here that the regatta committee met in the days when James Hannell was the president. Proprietor James Harrison Hubbard was a large land speculator with Mr. Chinchen. They bought and subdivided, among other areas, Islington - where their names were perpetuated in the street naming scheme of the local government authority and the original Mayfield. Mr. Hubbard died in the late 80s. There was a large attendance at his funeral     
  • 1876 - Fire at the Yacht Club Hotel, Newcastle Herald " 22nd Febuary 1876 About 1.20 on Monday morning the city was alarmed by the ringing of the fire bell at the engine house in Newcomen Street. At first sound of the bell a reporter from the Herald went forth, and looking up Hunter St a densc column of smoke was observed to be rising from premises some distance up on the left hand side of the street, not far from the intersection of Bolton St. Upon proceeding nearer, it was perceived that the fire had broken out at the back of the Yacht Club Hotel, opposite the Court House".The Yacht Club Hotel was pulled down and the Westminster Hotel erected in its place in the 1890's.    
  • 1890 - The Westminster Hotel 1890-1990, The original 4 Level Westminster Hotel Was Built on the site of the old Yacht Club Hotel after the fire of 1876, (R. Bonventi) In 1938 proprietor was C.H. Pyatt
  • 1921 -The Westminster Hotel, as it appears today, was rebuilt after the the original one was demoloshed around 1920 possibly due to fire.
  • 1990 - The Westminster Hotel ceased trading when It was purchased by Nick Raftos who had the icence transfered to 'The Me an Fiddler Hotel' in Rouse Hill, then redeveloped the hotel into 'shop top Apartments'
  • 2012 - Westminster Coffee Lounge opened on the Ground Floor
  • 2014 - Current - SushiNet on the Gr Floor with the Westminster Apartments above.

67-71 Hunter St / 19 Hunter StNewcastle,  East End, The Commercial Bank of Australia Building 37
  • 1891 - The American Bar Cafe.
  • 1905 - Herewd S, Hewison,  Bookseller
  • 1909 - Robert Edmunds, Bookseller
  • 1910 - The Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd1910-1958, , Note: CBA of Australia merged with Westpac in 1982
  • 1917 - Formerly the Commercial Banking Company of Australia. Represents a period of rapid growth for financial and insurance institutions in Newcastle
  • 1932 - L, Dobie, Cafe
  • 1940 - Upper Level, J. L. Shaw,Broker, 1940-1950, 
  • 1940 - Upper Level, Mutual Life and Citizens Assurance Co
  • 1940 - Upper Level, Dr E.W. Ferguson 1940-1950,   Eric ArmstrongSolicitor,    J. E. Capper, Accountant,     Miss K. Hanson, Masseures.
  • 1950 - Upper Level, Lamb & Boa, Accountant,    R.S.Timbury, Agents Manufacturing, T.E. Flett, Chiropodists
  • 2000 - Current  AA Brothers, Computer Parts, and a block of Apartments above
92-94 Hunter St Newcastle, The Lock-Up
  • 1838 - The Lock-Up  In 1838 a Court House
  • 1903 - The Newcastle Court House
  • 1932 - Post & Telegraph office,
  • 1932 - Commonwealth Savings Bank
  •  Currently - Built in 1903 it's the disused old Newcastle Post Office

73-75 Cnr Hunter & Bolton Sts 21 Hunter St Newcastle  East End,  CBC Building 39
  • 1834 - The site was granted to Samuel Lyons
  • 1835 - The Union Inn was a cottage style building. Former constable John Butler Hewson arrived on the Mangles in 1820. By 1831 he was employed as a Constable at Newcastle. In 1832 he was appointed gaol keeper at Newcastle gaol was granted a licence for The Union Inn.  In 1835 He advertised good stabling and a selection of wine and spirits.  He held the license for the Union Inn at Newcastle from 1835 to 1844.
  • 1840 - Robert Tighe, a former soldier of the 28th regiment was employed as chief constable at Newcastle in 1839. He took over the licence of the Union Inn in 1840-1841. Robert Tighe died in March 1844.
    1844 - John Butler Hewson was granted the licence for the Woolpack Inn situated in Bolton Street, Newcastle.
  • 1845 - The licence for the The Union Inn was transferred by Robert's widow Sarah Tighe to William Latham. By 1846 William Latham was in financial difficulty.
  • 1846 - James Hannell moved the license for the Ship Inn from the The Union Inn to the oposite corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets..
  • 1846 - The Union Inn was advertised for sale by auctioneer Alexander Flood. It was said to be one of the most classic buildings in the town. it included the three cottages adjoining The Woolpack with a frontage to Bolton Street
  • 1847 - The premises of the Union Inn was advertised for sale again by Helenus Scott along with several other properties. The old building of the original Union Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets was demolished and a new two story building was erected and named The Woolpack
  • 1850 - The name was changed to the Prince of Wales,  Lewis Jones was the innkeeper of the Prince of Wales from the mid 1850s until 1870. Some years later the building was occupied by the Bank of New Zealand the then passed into the hands of the Commercial Banking company of Sydney.
  • 1856 - The license for The Union Inn was transferred by John Butler Hewson to a new Inn in Blane Street, close to Mackie's furniture store.This was built on land purchased in 1853 from the Australian Agricultural Company which became known as Honeysuckle point.
  • 1859 - Prince of Wales Hotel. was owned by Mary Ann Hudson . In 1875 the proprietor was Andrew Kirkaldy.
  • 1878 - The old Prince of Wales Hotel, with the two cottages in its rear, were bought at auction for the Bank of New Zealand for the sum of 5000 pounds. It is intended to renovate entirely the front portion of the building for the purpose of converting it into a branch of the New Zealand Bank, the houses in the rear having to be removed for the building in their place, of a residence for the Bank manager.
  • 1894 - Peter Paxinos, Fruiterer,  Restaurant and refreshment room.
  • 1902 - Sam Barnett  1902-1905, Tobacconist, Manila Cigars 6 pounds per 1000,
  • 1905 - Commercial Banking Co of Sydney, 1909-1938,  It was designed in 1920 by architects , Kent and Massie who were responsible for numerous grand buildings throughout NSW. They were commissioned by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney (CBC Bank) to build the present building. 21 Hunter St
  • 1920 - The Commonwealth Bank Of Australia, 1920-1940, Kent & Massie Architects / Classical Revival style. Formerly the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. A substantial well preserved stone building, the tallest in the city at the time.
  • 1920 - G. F. O'Sullivan & Co, Tailors
  • 1930 - Upper Level,  Fassifern Coal Co Ltd, Southern union Insurance Co Ltd, The Motor Traders Insurance Co 
  • 1950 - Upper Level, The Government Insurance Office Of NSW
  • 1982 - The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney merged with the National Bank of Australasia in 1982 creating the National Australia Bank.
  • 2012 - Newcastle City Business Centre was launched as a Serviced Offices and Meeting Rooms facility It is situated in an iconic sandstone heritage building.
  • Currently - Commercial Banking Co of Sydney Building With apartments above
North Side of Hunter St

South Side of Hunter St
Bolton St
Bolton St
96 Cnr Hunter St / 24 Hunter St / 66-68 Hunter St, Newcastle East, ANZ Bank building  (in 1909 / 24 Hunter St, in 1920 66-68 Hunter St) 
  • 1846 - James Hannell moved the license for the Ship Inn from the Union Inn on the opposite corner of Hunter and Bolton in December 1846.
  • 1846 - The Ship Inn Hotel, Newcastle's first hotel 1844-1854, James Hannell, licensee which had been located at the foot of Watt Street since 1823, constructed a new Ship Inn on this site, and it became an important meeting place for the community. Hannell was a prominent Newcastle businessman and citizen, and after playing a leading role in achieving Municipal status for Newcastle in 1859, he was elected Newcastle's first Mayor. 
  • 1878 - The Ship Inn Hotel  (1883 Thomas Downie, A.A.Farthing) The Ship Inn has local significance through its association with the Hannell family, in particular James Hannell who was licensee for the Ship and became Newcastle's first Mayor. Next to the Ship Inn Hotel in Bolton St was The Bank Of Australasia, Then next to them was the office of Wood Brothers & Co all situated opposite the former Court House which later became the Post Office. The Ship Inn Hotel was demolished in 1912.  It was reported that the license of the Ship Inn had been eventually transferred to the site of the Union Inn.
  • 1879 - Union Bank Chambers, The Hannell family sold the land to the Union Bank of Australia in 1885, but it appears that the bank had been operating from the hotel building on a leasehold basis since November 1879. The bank continued to trade from the Ship Inn building, adapted to suit their operations, until 1912, when it was demolished to make way for the purpose-built premises, The ANZ Bank building
  • 1888 - J. J. Kittson, Drapery and Clothes,
  • 1905 - Brown & Mitchell, Solicitors 24 Hunter St
  • 1912 - The Ship Inn and surrounding buildings where demolished for the construction of the new ANZ Bank building NOTE: Before 1810, barter was the primary form of transaction in NSW. The colony was not provided with an adequate quantity of English coins for these alone to suffice for the purchase of imports and internal transactions, and the Governors administered the use of coinage originating from various parts of the world.
  • 1940 - Sargent's Milk Bar 1940-1950
  • 2013 - The Reserve Wine Bar
  • Currently - The Reserve Wine Bar                                chk ok24
  • For further info on the ANZ Building
  • Property Owner: BOMBALA INVESTMENTS PTY LIMITED & R B MAWHINNEYchann
Hunter  St 77 Cnr Hunter St / 23 Hunter St, Newcastle, East End  The Rural Bank bulding
  • 1876 - The Criterion Hotel  1876-1956,  (1883 Henry Buchanan, 1930 it was Sol Diamond, G.J.Pyke) Commercial House of the North, at the corner of Hunter and Bolton streets, Newcastle. Splendid Sample Rooms, Fine Billiard Room (two tables), and Unequalled Accommodation for Travellers. Demolished in 1956
  • 1876 - John Broughton, 1876-1920, Shipping Merchant
  • 1932 - Electric Photo Studio, 1932-1938
  • 1956 - The Criterion Hotel was Demolished for the building of the The Rural Bank bulding
  • 1958 - The Rural Bank, 1958-1972.  with various tenants.
  • 2008 - Lucky 7, Conveniance Store
  • Currently - Out Of The Square, Store & Newsagent,               23chk
  • Property Owner: MEZEI HOLDINGS PTY LTD (Unit 3) 2300
98-102 Hunter St / 26 Hunter St / 68 Hunter St  Newcastle, 
  • 1903 - New Standard Radio, 1903-1950, Electrical Equipment
  • 1909 - Taylor Bros, Hairdressers
  • 1912 - The Ship Inn and surrounding buildings where demolished
  • 1914 -  ANZ  Bank Building,
  • 1920 - Way's Ltd, Cafe 1920-1930 68 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Hunter The Stationers Ltd, Bookseller & Stationer 66a Hunter St
    2013 - The Reserve Wine Bar
  • Currently - The Reserve Wine Bar

79 Hunter St / 25 Hunter St, Newcastle, East End  The Rural Bank bulding
  • 1886 - John Broughton Ltd, Grocer
  • 1932 - Alex Peate & Co, 1932-1938, Tailors
  • 1950 - Eric Tandy, Mercer
  • 2001 - Current - Newcastle CBD Newsagency
104 Hunter St / 28 Hunter St / 70 Hunter St  Newcastle,  ANZ  Bank 
  • 1909 - Beale & Co Ltd, 1909-1932, Piano Wholesalers 28 Hunter St
  • 1912 - buildings where demolished
  • 1920 - R.H. Hunter, Jeweler
  • 1930 - The Bargain Arcade, No2, fancy goods etc
  • 1950 - M. Chiplin, Cake Shop
  • Currently - The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

81a Hunter St / 25a Hunter St, Newcastle, East End
  • 1938 - Back in a Day, Newcastle Pty Ltd, Dry Cleaners
  • 2015 - Cheries
  • Currently - Hunter 81 Boutique
106 Hunter St / 30 Hunter St / 70a Hunter St  Newcastle,  ANZ  Bank
  • 1909 - William Whitby, Tea Rooms  30 Hunter St
  • 1912 - buildings where demolished
  • 1950 Chic Salon, Lingerie
  • Currently - The new ANZ Bank Building now The Reserve Wine Bar

81 Hunter St / 27 Hunter St, Newcastle East End
  • 1876 - Frank Alcock, Draper
  • 1909 - Shaw & Sons Ltd, 1909-1920, IronMongers, Hardware
  • 1938 - Capewell & Taylor, Florists
  • 1947 - Scott.s Milk Bar 1947-1950, and Fruit Shop.  Mr Nick Scott.
  • 1954 - Fruit shop owned by George Lekatsas (Lucas) .
  • 1957 - The Brazil Coffee Lounge.  bought by John Raftos
  • Note - The Brazil had the first cappuccino machine in Newcastle
  • Currently - Hunter 81 Ladies  Boutique
108 Hunter St / 32 Hunter St /  72 Hunter St Newcastle,   CML Building
  • 1886 - J Martin, Tailor
  • 1910 - B. Phillips, Tailors, The Record Tailor in Newcastle  32 Hunter St
  • 1910 - W. Norris & Co, 1910-1920, Clothier & Mercer
  • 1932 - Lazers, Hardware
  • 1937 - Colonial Mutual Life Building
  • 1945 Rundle's, 1945-1952
  • 2008 - Groceries
  • 2008 - Current - Porky's Nest, Homewares and coffee.

83 Hunter St / 29 Hunter St, Newcastle East End

  • 1876 - London Chartered Bank Of Australia
  • 1909 - The Government Savings Bank
  • 1920 - George A. Campbell, 1920-1938, Hairdresser and Tobaconist, (double size shop 83-85 Hunter st) as advertised "have our hairdressers choose your new razor and strop and be sure of the best results.
  • 2015 - Hearing Life (4/81 Hunter St)
  • Currently - La Femme
110 Hunter St / 32a Hunter St / 72a Hunter St, Newcastle, , East End,   Colonial Mutual Life Building 
  • 1886 - H. Asser, Stationer
  • 1910 - Irvine Ltd, Tailors
  • 1918 - Robert Ingall and Sons, 1918-1923
  • 1930 - Paris stores, Tailors & Mercers
  • 1932 - Gresham Studio's
  • 1932 - A. Hall & Co Ltd, Radio Dealers 
  • 1945 - Upper Floor,  Radio 2KO, Click for more info 1945-1980
  • 1940 - Browns Manchester Store's Pty Ltd, Drapers  
  • Currently The CML Building, a Multi Story building with Various Tenants.

85 Hunter St / 31 Hunter St, Newcastle  East End 
  • 1876 - G. Tribe, Tobacconist
  • 1909 - George H. Campbell, 1909-1950, Hairdresser
  • 1920 - Johnston & Co,  Fancy Goods
  • 1930 - W.F. Hutchinson, Dentist
  • 1930 - Maisonette, 1930-1938, Ladies Hairdresser
  • 1932 - M. Engert, Dental Mechanic
  • 1940 - The Devonshire Coffee Lounge, 1940-1945,  Bakehouse.
  • 1970 - Dimity's Cards and Party Shop,   by Nick Raftos
  • 2010 - Newcastle Bakehouse, 2010-2017
  • 2017 - These Days
  • Currently - Vacant
112 Hunter St / 32b Hunter St / 74 Hunter St (1920)  Newcastle, CML
  • 1916 - Glbb and Beeman, Ltd, 1916-1932,
  • 1930 - Keswick Book Depot, 74 Hunter St
  • 2010 - Current - Sallini's Barber.

87 Hunter St / 33 Hunter St Newcastle, East End

  • 1876 - W.H. Green, Ironmonger
  • 1910 - Jos Johnson & Co, Fancy Goods  33 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Christie's, 1920-1930, Skirts & Umbrellas
  • 1965 - Tom Menzies, 1965-1975, Jeweler, shop1
  • 2010 - Silver Tree, Gifts and Jewelery
  • 2015 - Current - Shannon Hartigan Images, shop1

114 Hunter St / 34-36 Hunter St / 76 Hunter St,  Newcastle, East End, Centennial Building  (1909 = #34, 1920 =# 76,) 
  • 1888 - The Centennial Hotel (SV Brain)
  • 1898 - The Niagara Cafe. Angelo Bourtzos
  • 1912 The Niagara Cafe by Brothers Michael and Theo Karanges household.
    1940 - The Niagara cafe owned its own cake and sweets factory
  • 1935 - The Niagara Cafe was advertising "The best place to eat and drink and the new 4d milk bar service. Excellent chocolates and cakes"
  • Currently - Fruit & Peel Coffee Shop.

89 Hunter St / 35 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1909 - The British Piano Depot,
  • 1920 - .Refreshment Rooms & Confectionary, George Paxinos
  • 1930 - C. Hyman, 1930-1950,  Watchmaker & Jeweler
  • 1955 - Prouds, Watchmaker & Jeweler
  • 1965 - Tom Menzies, 1965-1975, Jeweler, shop2
  • 2010 - Silver Tree, Gifts and Jewelery
  • 2015 - Current - Shannon Hartigan Images, shop2
116-118 Hunter St / 38 Hunter St / 78-80 Hunter St, Newcastle, Centennial
  • 1886 - Thomas B. Blackall & Hunt, 1886-1909, 
  • 1920 - Palings Rooms, 1920-1945, Upper Floor, Edward Tyrrell, Teacher and other Various music teachers, technicians. 78-80 Hunter St
  • 1930 - A Pure Fruit Drinks Store
  • 1950 - Ells Bookstore , Max Ell, Arthur Warner, Manager, books, toys and stationery (78 Hunter St)
  • 1995 - Hardware store
  • 2008 - Current - Gentleman's Outfitters...

91 Hunter St / 37 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1897 - Refreshment Room
  • 1909 - Peter Paxinos, Fruiterer
  • 1920 - J.A. Woodcock,
  • 1935 - Barnetts Tobacco, Nu-way Tobacco's sold only at Barnett's  ..
  • 1938 - Macey's, Ladies Wear, 1938-1950
  • Currently - PixelPro- Photo Printing & Picture
120 Hunter St / 40 Hunter St / 82 Hunter St, Newcastle, East End, The City Arcade, 
  • 1909 - Abel & Co. Ltd, Wholesale Confectionery 40 Hunter St
  • 1916 - Ways, Ltd, The Victoria Cafe,1916-1920  Tel 531.           
  • 1932 - Harringtons Ltd, Photo & Radio Supplies
  • 1932 - Tom Blackall, Dentist
  • 1939 - The City Arcade
  • Currently - The City Arcade With Barnets Tobacco and other tenants.

93 Hunter St / 39 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1909 - Jos Woodcock, Fruiterer      39 Hunter St  
  • 1920 - Denes & Denes, Restaurant
  • 1930 - J.R. Crayden, Newcastle Wine Depot
  • 1932 - Caldwell's Wines Ltd
  • 1938 - The Wine Bar, G.S. Bettley, Wine Salon
  • 1940 - Toni's Cafe which was opened by Michael Shannos. 
  • 1944 - Toni's Fish Cafe
  • 1947 - The Treasury Cafe. 1947-1952Theo Milas and Con Zavitsanos
  • 1999 - Kodak Store
  • 2010 - The Deck, Fashion store
  • Currently - The Deck Homewares & Fashion
122-132 Hunter St / 42 Hunter St / 84 Hunter St Newcastle, East End,  Multi story building
  • 1886 - D. Smith, Boot Shop
  • 1890 - Commercial developments of the Newcastle Borough
  • 1892 - W H Paling and Co. Pianos Organs and Music
  • 1909 - Edwin M. King, Musician
  • 1920 - Thomas Blackall & Son
  • 1920 - Thomas Blackall & Hunt, 920-1930, Chemist
  • 1920 - Franc Pearce, Jeweller & Optician
  • 1932 - A.H. Gilliman, Fruiterer (2 shops)
  • 1940 - Patton's & Baldwins, Knitting Yarn Mfrs
  • 1950 - Upcroft Bros, Agent House and Land
  • 1950 Christian Science Reading Room.
  • 2010 - Hunter Hearing
  • 2015 - Current - Bloom Hearing Specialists, vacated

93a Hunter St / 41 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1909 - Peter Hresto, Oyster Salon  41 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Sophianos & Leventis, Cafe,
  • 1932 - Sophianos & Ramsbottom, Cafe,
  • 1936 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe,  the proprietors  Babis Bonis and Andrew Kulidas.
  • 1936 - San Toy Cafe 1936-1940, Karl Hansen         
  • 2015 - The Deck Homewares & Fashion  
  • Currently - The Deck Homewares & Fashion
124 Hunter St / 44 Hunter St / 86a Hunter St Newcastle, East End, 
  • 1920 - Thomas Blackall & Son, Dentist,  Blackall & Sons
  • 1932 - A.H. Gilliman, Fruiterer (2 shops)
  • 1940 Kodak 
  • 1940 - R.H.Stewart, 1940-1950, Chemist 
  • Note - Multi story building with various tenants
  • 2015 - Current - My Baker, has the best pies in Newcastle currently, hands down

95  Hunter St / 43 Hunter St  Newcastle East,
  • 1909W.H. Soul Pattinson Newcastle Ltd, 1909-1932, Chemist
  • 1920 - L. S. McMaugh, Dentist  ok43
  • 1938 - Ells Bookstore, 1938-1950,  books, toys and stationery
  • 2010 - NNT, Uniforms
  • 2015 - Vacant
  • Queensland Travel Center
  • Currently - The Pilates Space
126 Hunter St / 46 Hunter St / 88 Hunter St Newcastle, East End,
  • 1909 - The Co-op Coupon Co Ltd, 1909-1920,    46 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Myers Ltd, Shoe Store
  • 1930 - Ranson's Clergy Wear
  • 1932 - Home Recreations Aust Ltd, Phonographs & Bird Tables
  • Currently - The Wren

97 Hunter St / 45 Hunter St Newcastle East,  97-101 Hunter St,  Emporium
  • 1909 - Alfred D. Robinson, 1909-1920, Hairdresser 45 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Sam Barnett, Tobacco Merchant.
  • 1930 - Newcastle Standard Laundry Ltd
  • 1970 - The Continental Cafe owned by John (Yianko) & Sia Rafty. 
  • 2010 - Vodafone, Optus, Telstra Shop
  • 2015 - Happy Herb Shop,
  • 2017 - Ubuntu, Wellness Clinic
  • Currently - Vacant
128 Hunter St / 48 Hunter St / 90 Hunter St Newcastle, East End, 
  • 1909 - Macrow & Sons Pty Ltd, Jewellers  48 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Newcastle Nursery Co.
  • 1920 - Walter Neve, Furniture Manufacturer & Undertaker  
  • 1930 - Bernard's, Picture framers & photographers
  • 1930 - Bargain Arcade Ltd, Fancy Goods, 3 shops
  • 1940 Breckenridge's Blue Room Cafe
  • 1950 - Breckenridge, Draper
  • 2010 - Budget Eyewhear
  • 2017 - Opsm

99 Hunter St / 47 Hunter St  Newcastle East,   Emporium Building
  • 1876 - T. Eggleton, Fruiterer
  • 1903 - Signor Zanoni Studio's,
  • 1909 - Lee & Co, Tailors shop1  47 Hunter St
  • 1918 - Coo Ee Clothing Company, 1918-1950, Tailors, Boys clothing
  • 1950 - F. J. Palmers and Son's Ltd
  • 1940 - Hinton Signs, Signwriter.
  • 2010 - Flight Centre Newcastle
  • Currently - Vacant
130 Hunter St / 50 Hunter St / 94 Hunter St, Newcastle, East End,
  • 1909 - James A. LeslieTailor   50 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Tom Ingall & Son, Tailors
  • 1920 - Elliot's Pty Ltd, 1920-1950, High Class Tailors and Mens complete outfitters, Mercer. also at 537 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Bargain Arcade Ltd, Fancy Goods, 3 shops
  • 1940 - Hunter & Son Shoes Pty Ltd, Shoe store  
  • 2010 - Cash Store
  • 2017 - Vodafone Store
  • 2018 - Current - Jewels On Hunter



101 Cnr Hunter St / 49 Hunter St Newcastle East,  Emporium Building
  • 1876 - Galley's Family Hotel (George Galley)
  • 1886 - Developed by Henry Buchanan
  • 1909 - Lee & Co, Tailors Shop2   49 Hunter St
  • 1918 - Coo Ee Clothing Company, 1918-1950,
  • 1920 - G.C. Henderson, Tailor
  • 1940 - R. Wilson, Fishmonger
  • 1942 - The Matara Gourmet Bar owned by John (Yianko) Rafty
  • 2009 - Oporto Chicken
  • 2015 - Hunter Gourmet Pizza
  • Harrey's Bag Store
  • 2017 - Current - Vacant Store
132 Cnr Hunter St / 52 Hunter St / 94a Hunter St, Newcastle, East End, (1909 = 52 Hunter St,1932 = 94a Hunter St)
  • 1860 - The Steam Packet Inn  The Steam Packet Inn was situated on the Eastern corner of Hunter and Newcomen Streets, Newcastle. This was the same allotment or close to that the Australian Inn was situated on. Adjoining the Inn was the residence of Thomas Buxton, and at the rear of those properties was a spring known as the Water Reserve. It was from this spring that the residents of early Newcastle secured their water supply.
    Henry Williams held the license in the 1860s. The Hotel was burned to the ground in July 1862 and Henry William's young daughter died in the fire. 
    At the rear of the property was a spring known as the Water Reserve. It was from this spring that the residents of early Newcastle secured their water supply.
  • 1880 - Mercantile ank of Sydney (George Leishman)
  • 1905 - Sorby & Co , Ironmongers
  • 1920 - The Commonwealth Bank
  • 1932 - Miss Duncan, Milliner
  • 1930 - Paynes Hustlers, Drapery
  • 1935 - Cash & Carry Drapery Store   94 Hunter St
  • 2010 - Noogle Box
  • 2018 - Current- Jeremiah Jones, Fish n Chips Boutique.


North Side of Hunter St

South Side of Hunter St
Newcomon St

Newcomon St
134-140 Cnr Hunter St / 54 Hunter St / 96 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1876 The Crystal Palace Hotel 1876-1911, (1909 George P. Adkins)              54 Hunter St ok checked 1886 Maps
  • 1911 The Rawson Hotel 1911-1964, (J.W.Wallace) Hotel Rawson, built in 1911 on the corner of Hunter and Newcomen streets, it was demolished after its licence expired and sold to the Commomwealth Bank in 1964  96 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Howe's Shoes Pty Ltd. 1930-1940, Shoe store
  • 1964 - The Rawson Hotel was sold to The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, 
  • 1964 - Commonwealth Bank building, 1964-2010, Demolish the hotel building and build the CBA
  • 2010 - Current Discount Warehouse Chemist 
  • Property Owner: COMMONWEALTH BANK OF AUSTRALIA
Hunter  St 103 Cnr Hunter St / 51 Hunter St Newcastle, Commercial Building  c1927
  • 1886 - The Hunt Club Hotel  (M.J. Moroney)   chk ok 1886 Maps
  • 1890 - Locke's Hotel
  • 1896 - The Beauchamp Hotel
  • 1905 - The  Masonic Hotel 1905-1927, (George K McLaren, Masonic Hotel 1920 Richard Bath) 51 Hunter St
  • 1927 - Commercial Building, of the Inter-War era replaced the Hunt/Masonic Hotels
  • 1930 - M. Anderson, 1930-1946, Specialising in ready to wear robes. Frocks, Furs
  • 1950 - C E Sorby & CompanyForks Rakes, Shovels Wire Netting, Watering Pots Garden Hose, we have a Reputation for Selling Cheap, which is something worth keeping, and are determined to do so
  • 2010 - Gloria Jeans Coffee Shop.
  • Currently - The Ground Floor Cafe          ok51
138 Hunter St / 56 Hunter St / 98 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1886-1920 - Singer Sewing Machines
  • 1909 - Carl Macree, Oyster Saloon 56 Hunter St
  • 1932 - Hunter The Stationer Ltd, Bookseller & Stationers
    Hilliers
  • Currently Discount Warehouse Chemist

103A-105 Hunter St / 53-59 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1876 - The Ladies Warehouse,  Miss Fogarty late of Kelk & Alfords Sydney Has much pleasure in intimating to the residents of Newcastle and surrounding districts that she in now opening business in Hunter St at the corner of Newcomen St where  she will offer for sale a splendid assortment of Ladies Wear.
  • 1886 - J.C. Kelly & Co, Drapers, 1886-1900
  • 1887 - D. Marks (Late of Ford Marks & Co)
  • 1891 - Scotts Ltd, Drapers, 1891-1909. William Scott, William Scott, began his business here.
  • 1910 - T.J. Charnock, Tailor
  • 1925 - The Astoria Sundae Parlor, 1925-1938, Opened originally by proprietors, Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Brett. 
  • 1943 - The Astoria Cafe was taken over by proprietors, Jerry Kolivas, (who was also Manager) Michael Shannos, and Chris Stelianos.
  • Notes - On Christmas Eve 1942, The Astoria advertised in the Newcastle Herald .that it would be closing on Sundays as there was a shortage of high quality foodstuffs to go around the full week.This action is taken In order that the same High Standard of Quality and Efficient Service that the .Astoria. Is noted for, might he maintained throughout the week days to our numerous regular Patrons.
  • Notes - By December 1943, The Astoria also advertised .that it would be closing at 7.30pm every night, due to the rationing of foodstuffs, and power problems, etc. In January 1946 The Astoria announced that it just reopened after an extensive renovation. The Astoria was located 2nd from the corner on Hunter St and west from Newcomen Street. The Astoria was still trading up and until Nov 1954. Phone B3026
  • 1938 - Mac Frank, 1938-1950, Boot and Shoe retailers.  
  • 1955 - Anderson's, Frocks
  • Currently - Subway Restaurant.
  • Property Owner: LANDCOM
  • Subway Restaurant. In 1965, Fred DeLuca borrowed $1,000 from friend Peter Buck to start "Pete's Super Submarines" in Bridgeport, Connecticut, and in the following year, they formed Doctor's Associates Inc. to oversee operations of the restaurants as the franchise expanded.The holding company derives its name from DeLuca's goal to earn enough from the business to pay tuition for medical school, as well as Buck's having a doctorate in physics. Doctor's Associates is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, any medical organization.In 1968, the sandwich shop was renamed "Subway". It is one of the fastest-growing franchises in the world and, as of June 2017, had approximately 42,000 locations in more than 100 countries. More than half of the locations are in the United States.It also is the largest single-brand restaurant chain, and the largest restaurant operator, in the world

140-142 Hunter St / 58 Hunter St / 100-102 Hunter St, Newcastle,  
  • 1876 - Mrs Prevost, watchmaker and Jeweler, As Advertised, The oldest Established Business in Newcastle
  • 1909 - Payizis & Macree, Fruiterers  58 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Way's Ltd, Cafe, 1920-1932
  • 1930 - Robert Ingall & Sons, Tailors & Mercers
  • 1940 - Rex Asher, Fishing Tackle
  • 1970 - Electrolux
  • 2010 - Newsagent
  • Currently - Newsagent

105 Hunter St / 55-61 Hunter St Newcastle,   Commercial Building  c1890
  • 1891 - Scotts Ltd, Drapers, 1891-1909. William Scott, began his business in a small shop, even smaller than the one in the Photo  53-61 Hunter St
  • 1970 - MG23-22, Womans Fashion Stores
  • 2010 - Guaralara
  • 2010 - Porky's Cream on Hunter
  • 2015 - NookStore, Clothing
  • Currently - NookStore
144-146 Hunter St / 60 Hunter St / 104-106 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1891 - G.E. Bodley Children's toy shop.     
  • 1908 - Rundle'smenswear
  • 1909 - J. Kingsborough & Co, Drapers  60 Hunter St
  • 1920 - R.H. Hunter, Jeweler
  • 1930 - Farr's Markets Ltd
  • 1932 - Bargain Arcade Ltd No 2, Fancy Goods
  • 1935 - Nicholson's music store
  • 1940 Betta-Cakes, 1940-1950,  Cake store.
  • 1950 - Coo-Ee Clothing Company, Boys clothing retail
  • 1952 - Rundles menswear, 
  • Currently - Newcastle City Health Foods

 107 Hunter St / 57-61 Hunter St Newcastle,   Fletcher Jones Building 1929
  • 1876 - Mrs Prevost, Fancy Goods (in shop 107)  57 Hunter St
  • 1876 - Madam Weigel,  Cut Paper Patters
  • 1876 - Tom Ellis  Bootmaker. Cheap boot repairsAs advertised .Wanted to be known. .EIlis, Hunter-st, has- been specially appointed Boot maker to His Excellency the Right Honorable the Earl of Jersey, G.O.M,G..   61 Hunter St
  • 1876 -  J Lynch.
  • 1886 - R. Ingall & Sons, Milliners
  • 1891 - Scotts Ltd, Drapers, 1891-1909 William Scott, began his business here.
  • 1905 - Mark Murdoch & Co, Tailor
  • 1910 - Mick Simmons Ltd, 1910-1953, Tobacconist
  • 1932 - Creed's Ltd, 1932-1938, Robe Specialists
  • 1932 - W.S. BrendenRadio, Sporting Requirements
  • 1950 - Headwise Hats Pty Ltd, Milliners
  • 1950 - Fletcher Jones Australia
  • 2010 - Upper Floor, Pol-arise, pole and aerial dance fitness studio.
  • 2010 - Porky's Cream on Hunter
  • Currently - Porky's Cream on Hunter
148-150 Cnr Hunter & Morgan Sts / 62 Hunter St / 108 Hunter St,  Newcastle, 
  • 1908 - Richard Thomas Rundle
  • 1909 - David Miller, Grocer   62 Hunter St
  • 1909 - Commonwealth Bank
  • 1920 - Lane & Trewartha Ltd, 1920-1932, Grocers,
  • 1930 - Mrs E. Winn, Costmr
  • 1940 Goldsmith Pty Ltd 1940-1950 Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1940 - RW Upfold, Electrician
  • 1950 Reid's Commercial Services.Business Consultants.
  • 1950 - J.R.Trahan, Agents Manufacturing
  • 1950 - Retail Traders Association of NSW
  • 1950 - H.H. Benjamin, Clothier
  • 1952 - Rundles Pty Limited,
  • 1973 - Rundles, under the guidance of Lindsay Rundle and now third generation tailor, Peter Rundle.
  • 1996 - Rundles closed down
  • 2010 - Runnaway
  • Currently - Ka-fey cafe, Coffee Shop

109-111 Cnr Hunter St / 63 Hunter St  Newcastle, Sanitarium Building
  • 1886 - A.J. Potter & Co, 1886-1950, Watchmaker,Jewelers  63 Hunter St
  • 1890 - Commercial Building was built, Classical Revival style.One of many commercial buildings scattered around the city
  • 1895 - Cook and Co, Economical Cash Drapers
  • 1909 - Upper floor, George Williams, Music Teacher
  • 1920 - Commonwealth Shoe Co Ltd
  • 1930 - Upper floor, Simmons Chambers,  Shop Assistants Union,    A.J. Larkin, Dentist,    A.J. Reedman, Builder
  • 1932 - Mac's  Boot Shop, 1932-1938,
  • 1932 - Mick Simmons Ltd, 1932-1938, Tobacconist
  • 1932 - H.E. Koll, Chemist
  • 1940 - The Dell, Restaurant
  • 1938 - Gibb & Beeman, Ltd, 1938-1940, Opticians
  • 1950 - Fays Shoes. 1950-1972, Shoe Store
  • 1970 - Camera House
  • 2018 - Teddy Boutique
  • Currently - Teddy Boutique


111 Cnr Hunter St / 63 Hunter St  Newcastle, Sanitarium Building
  • 1970 - Camera House
  • 2015 - Bling, Fashion Store
  • 2018 - Honey Espresso Bar
  • Currently - Vacant
Morgan St
Morgan St
152-160 Cnr Hunter St / 64 Hunter St / 110 Hunter St, Newcastle, 
  • 1886 - F. Pearce, Optician, Watchmaker, eye test
  • 1899 - George Weiland, The Strand Cutchery.
  • 1899 - Carrington Clothing Store. 
  • 1902 - Lynch Brothers, Suits to Order, Mens Boys youth Clothing
  • 1909 - Robert Ingall, 1909-1920, Tailor  64-70 Hunter St
  • 1910 - Tattersall's Club               
  • 1932 - Paris Stores, Tailors & Mercers
Hunter  St
113-115 Cnr Hunter St / 65 Hunter St  Newcastle, Municipal Building, 1908
  • 1886 - D. Stevenson, Clothier
  • 1897 - JS Robb, Cash Draper and Milliner
  • 1908 - The Building of the Municipal Building,
  • 1909 - Frank Witherspoon, Grocer       65 Hunter St
  • 1919 - Mac's Shoe & Boot Shop (117 Hunter St) 1919-1921 then in 1929 moved to 113 Hunter St
  • 1923 - Upper Floor, F.G. Hollway, Dentist, No Pain Dentist,
  • 1932 - Richard Rundle, 1932-1938, Tailor
  • 1938 - Hunter The Stationer, 1938-1972,  Bookseller Stationer.
  • 1940 - Howe's Shoes Pty LtdShoe store
  • 1950 - Edward Fay Pty Ltd, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 2010 - Current - Newcastle New Projects 
154 Hunter St / 66 Hunter St / 112 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 - McFarlane, Draper
  • 1909 - Frank Witherspoon, Grocer  66 Hunter St
  • 1910 - The Niagara Ltd, Refreshment Rooms. 1910-1932, (A. Burgess)
  • 1930 - Nicholson & Co Ltd, Music Warehouse, Pianos, Gramophones,
  • 1950 - Harrey's Bag Store
  • Currently - Optus

117 Hunter St / 67-69 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908
  • 1886 - Sevil & Co, Butcher
  • 1909 - Paxinos Bros, Fruiterers   67 Hunter St
  • 1914 - Payzis Brothers, 1914-1920, Confectionery & Fruiterers,
  • 1920 - Mac's, Boot Shop, 1920-1938, 
  • 1930 - Fostar's Shoes Pty Ltd,1930-1950,  Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1970 - Havana Coffee Lounge
  • 2010 - Shoe Box
  • 2015 - The Lair
  • Currently - The Lair Ladies Fashion and the new Market Square
156-158 Hunter St / 68 Hunter St / 114 Hunter St  Newcastle, 
  • 1886 - J.  Woodcock, fruiterer
  • 1909 - Demetrus Kerangis, Oyster Saloon
  • 1930 - Hustlers,  Drapers 
  • 1932- The Niagara Ltd, Refreshment Rooms. (A. Burgess)
  • 1940 - Woolworths Deptment Store
  • 2015 - Newcastle Skate
  • 2017 - Optus
  • Currently - Mall Newsagency

117a Hunter St / 67-69 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908
  • 2010 - The Lair
  • 2010 - Supere, Fashon Store
  • 2015 - MR3
  • Currently - MR3 Ladies. Fashion and the new Market Square
160-162 Cnr Hunter & Market Sts / 70 Hunter St / 116-118 Hunter St
  • 1870 - The City Arms Hotel
  • 1903 The Central Hotel 1903-1950, (William J. Milgarte)
  • 1930 - Silk House, 1930-1940+, John's Silk Store,                 
  • 1932 - Pure Fruit Drinks, Shop
  • 1936 - John Bull Gift Shop, self raising flour
  • 1946 - Hotentasty, Grill Bar Cafe
  • 1950 - The Masonic Club
  • 1950 - Chesterfield Furnishings
  • 1979 - NightClubs top floors, New York Tavern, Joker's Night Club, Gable's.
  • 1980 - The Hunter Hotel  after Market Square was rebuilt
  • 1995 - Sanity records, 1995-2015


119 Hunter St / 67-69 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908
  • 1995 - Caldwell the Jeweler.
  • 2015 - Studio Melt Jewelery
  • Currently - Studio Melt Jewelery and the new Market Square



119a Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908
  • 1886 - Moran, Milliner
  • 1970 - Chic Salon
  • Currently - Sussan, women.s fashion retailer
Market St

Access to Market Square
164-168 Hunter St / 74-78 Hunter St / 122-124 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Buildings, 1884
  • 1891 - The Municipal Market Building
  • 1894 - Harry Stegga and Co. Lancer's Books and Stationary, W H. Paling and CoPianos Organs and Music, A. Mc Donnell
  • 1909 - Francis Pearce, 1909-1920, Watchmaker, Jeweler & Optician
  • 1920 - Harry Stegga & Co, 1920-1932, Clothing
  • 1950 - Upcroft & Murphy   122-124 Hunter St 
  • 1985 - McDonalds Restaurant     
  • 1986 - Linden's, & Top Shop
  • Currently - Lowes
Hunter  St
121 Cnr Hunter St / 71 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908
  • 1886 - Hollinshead, Milliner
  • 1909 - Atkinson & Hughes, Mercers 71 Hunter St 
  • 1909 - Maurice T. Davies, Confectioner
  • 1920 - Richard Rundle 1920-1930, Tailor
  • 1921 - The No. 2 Astoria Cafeproprietors Michael Shannos  & Speros Benas.
  • 1938 - Fostar's Shoes Pty Ltd, 1938-1950, Boot and Shoe, Shop2
  • 2000 - Carla Swimware
  • 2010 - Fox Foe
  • 2015 - Current - The Birdcage On Hunter,  Ladies. Wear
170-172 Cnr Hunter St / 80 Hunter St / 126-128 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1909 - Walter Neve, 1909-1920,  Furniture Manufacturer & Undertakers  80 Hunter St
  • 1932 - Cook's, Smallgoods Dealers
  • Currently - Total performance

123 Hunter St / 77 Hunter St Newcastle,  Municipal Building, 1908  187 Hunter st on the old system
  • 1900 - W. Shirlow, Boot and Shoe Store
  • 1905 - Henry Endersby's Boot Store, 1905-1910
  • 1910 - Endersby's was sold to the Nobby Shoe Company 
  • 1910 - Atkinson & Hughes, 1910 -1920, 
  • 1930 - W.S. Peisley, Dentist,
  • 1930 - Miss E. Corcoran, 1930-1938, Dermatologist
  • 1930 - Sperling's, 1930-1938,  Fur Department
  • 1932 - Upper Floor, Spencer Block Buildings, 1932-1938, Dance Studio near the Strand
  • 1938 - Evalyn-Mellor, Studio Photographers  
  • 2010 - Current - SportsGirl, Ladies Fashion


125 Hunter St / 75 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1825 - The Crooked Billet Inn, Francis Beattie was granted a publican's license to sell spirits, beer and ale.He established the Crooked Billet Inn in 1825. During his years at Newcastle as well as his business running the Inn he also worked as a bailiff, gaol keeper, pound keeper, auctioneer and store keeper. In 1829 Francis Beattie came into financial difficulties. In 1834 Francis Beattie moved from the 'Crooked Billet' to The Australian Inn that had previously kept by James Pawsey, Francis Beattie, the original proprietor of the Crooked Billet died in October 1835 age 57 and was buried in Christ Church Burial Grounds
  • 1829 - Miners' Arms Hotel The only building in the Market Square was a hostelry known as the London Hotel originally the Miners Arms and afterwards becoming a customs-house
  • 1860 - Shipwrights' Arms, The building reverted to its original role, that of an Inn in the 1860's, under the sign of the Shipwrights' Arms, the license being held by John Peterson who later transferred his licence to a new building in Hunter Street.
  • 1930 - London Tavern Hotel, The Shipwrights' Arms re-opened as the London Tavern but was de-licenced and conducted as a boarding house known as Northumberland House
  • 1860 - Customs House
  • 1870 - The Borough Markets, 1870-1930, (City Markets) The foundation stone of the Borough Markets was laid in 1870 by Mayor William A Sparke. It was built by Smith Thomas, who was a well-known and respected figure in the building industry of Newcastle for almost 60 years, and designed by an established Sydney architect, G. A. Mansfield, and its construction was supervised by Joseph Backhouse. The markets were demolished in 1915.
  • 1905 - City Markets, J. Hunter and Son Pty Ltd Juno, Boot and Shoe retailers.  83 Hunter St 
  • 1930 - Way.s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms 1930-1938,
  • 1930 - The Strand Picture Theatre, 1930-1980, which was Demolished in 1980 to make way for the redevelopment of Market Square.
  • Note - Across the road was the Hunter on Hunter Hotel.
  • 1980 - The new Market Square shopping centre, built by Kern Corporation Ltd on the old Strand site, opened by NSW Premier Neville Wran on November 17, 1980,
  • Currently - BreakAway, Surf shop


127 Hunter St / 77 Hunter St  Newcastle
  • 1868 - Shipwrights' Arms Hotel ..on the corner of Hunter & Market St's (When Market St, partly went through to King St,  Before the building of the Strand Theatre)
  • 1879 - The Newmarket Hotel1879-1937,  Later in 1891, it was known as Paynes Newmarket Hotel,   (1909- Frederik Garnham,  Mrs Cath Thompson),  
  • 1891 - Paynes Newmarket HotelLater called The Strand Hotel ..
  • 1920 - J. Elliott, Cafe
  • 1930 - T. Sperling, 1930-1938, Ladies Costumes
  • 1937 -  Brewers Tooheys bought the licence from the old Newmarket Hotel, near the later Strand Theatre and opened the former Golden Sands Hotel later named The Esplanade Hotel (now demolished and part of Pacific Park opposite Newcastle Beach) (77 Hunter)
  • 1950 - Creedway's, Ladies Frocks
  • Currently - BreakAway, Surf shop


129 Hunter St / 79 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 - Summerfield & Co, Tailors
  • 1891 - Edward Smith's City House, 
  • 1891 - Walter Benns & Co, Wholesale Stationers
  • 1901 - Lucernes Strand Butchery  125 Hunter St
  • 1905 - Asher Thompson, Tobacconist 79 Hunter St 
  • 1910 - Rudolph Langer, Stationer
  • 1920 - Gerald Levy, Tobacconist
  • 1930 - Morgans Cakes Ltd,
  • 1938 - Sergeants Ritz Milk Bar
  • 1940 - Lucerne's, 1940-1950, Butchers
  • 1950 - Hunter and Son Pty Ltd Juno, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1950 - R.W. Whitaker & Son, Jeweler.
  • 2010 - Current - BreakAway, Surf shop      


131 Hunter St / 81 Hunter St  Newcastle
  • 1886 - John Hunter, Boot Store  81 Hunter St
  • 1905 - Oliver Godfrey, Photographer 81 Hunter St
  • 1910 - Lowes Ltd, 1910-1930, Tailors,  W.S. Preisley, Dentist
  • 1915 - Upper Floor, Newcastle Business College
  • 1920 - Upper Floor, Spencer Block Buildings, 1932-1938, Dance Studio near the Strand
  • 1930 - T. Sperling, 1930-1938, Ladies Frocks, Robes
  • 1938 - Eastern Arts, Art Salon
  • 1940 - The Bargain Arcade Pty Ltd No 1, Chain Store
  • 1960 - Sussan, dress shop
  • 2010 - Current - BreakAway, Surf shop  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


133 Hunter St / 87 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1938 - Rebuilding
  • 1940 - Lucerne's, 1940-1950, Butchers
  • 1950 - R.W. Whitaker & Son, Jeweler.
  • 2010 - Current - BreakAway, Surf shop


135a Hunter St / 87a Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 - Summerfield & Co, Tailors
  • 1915 - Upper Floor, Newcastle Business College
  • 1940 - The Bargain Arcade Pty Ltd No 1, Chain Store
  • 2010 - Current - BreakAway, Surf shop


137-141 Hunter St / 89 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1877 - Ellis's Cheap Bootmaking Establishment
  • 1886 - J. Hunter, Boot Shop
  • 1899 - Refreshment RoomsManufacturing Pastry Cook and Confectioner
  • 1908 - Hunter & Son Ltd, 1908-1930, Boot, Bag, Leather & Grindery store
  • 1950 - Woolworths LtdDepartment Store. 147 Hunter St
  • 2010 - Current - Tree of Life, Womans Fashion


143 Cnr Hunter St / 91 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1880 - The Northumberland Hotel 1880-1916,  (H. Simpson) 
  • 1909 - Robert Christie, Umbrella Maker 91 hunter St
  • 1909 - Thomas Parker, Dentist                      91 hunter St     
  • 1916 - Lyric Cafewas opened by Paxinos and Zervos by 1920, The proprietors were  Zervos & Raftos. On 4th October 1926 all fixtures and fittings were auctioned..
  • 1930 - Bon Ton, 1930-1938, Milliners
  • 1946 - Jays TravelHunter St Mall
  • 1948 - The Havana Cafe, the proprietor was John Barlas this was on the corner of Hunter and Thorn Street and just up from the old Strand Theater. 
  • 2010 - Jeanswest
  • 2017 - Current - Jays TravelHunter St Mall Its all part of the new Market Square 
Thorn St 
Thorn St 
176 Cnr Hunter St / 82 Hunter St / 130 Hunter St, Newcastle, Dangar building 
  • 1900 - E.J. Cleary, Clothier
  • 1906 - Dangar Offices, Menkens, FG Castleden
  • 1909 - Lasker Bros, Tailors 82 Hunter St
  • 1916 Palings Music store, 1916-1950, 130 Hunter St
  • 1920 - David Cohen & Co, Mercers
  • 1920 - Breckenridge's Ltd,1920-1932,  Drapers
  • 1932 - David Cohen & Co Ltd, Merchants
  • 1932 - Greek Vice Consulate
  • 1940 - Bank of NSW
  • 1940 - L McMillan, Locksmith
  • 1950 - Taylor's Mart, Dealer
  • 1980 - lev1, Chester's Clothing
  • 1980 - Gr Fl, Pumpkins Boutique
Hunter  St
145 Cnr Hunter & Thiorn Sts 93 Hunter St Newcastle,  Coles Building
  • 1860 - A. Smith, 1860-1880, Draper with  The Globe Hotel  next door
  • 1897 - T.H. Raysmith, 1897-1920, Advertised - Watchmaker,
  • 1930 - R, Whitaker, 1930-1938,  watchmaker & jeweler
  • 1950 - Chic Salon, 1938-1950, Lingerie                     
  • 1951 - Coles Variety Store
  • 1986 - The Building was purchased by 'Go Hunter Mall Pty Ltd' 
  • 1997 - The Building was totaly renovated by JML Constructions for Go Hunter Mall P/L who turned the space into many retail stores
  • 1998 - Millers Clothing. 
  • 2010 - Tempt
  • 2015 - Curvy Queens  Closet
  • 2017 - Donna Donna
  • Currently - Earmarked for Demolition to make way for the East End Development & Apartments
178 Hunter St / 84 Hunter St 132 Hunter St,  Newcastle,  
  • 1876 - Lasker Bros, Tailors, Temple of Fashion... D. Lasker,
  • 1920 - Elliotts Ltd, 1920-2006, Tailors 2 shops
  • 1950 - L.McMillan, Locksmith
  • Currently - Baggas Pharmacy

147-149 Hunter St / 95-97 Hunter St Newcastle,  Coles Building
  • 1860 - R. Lipman, Watchmaker,
  • 1897 - Llewellyn Davies, 1897-1920, Confectionery Manufacturer
  • 1930 - G. Grivas, Confectionary and Refreshments    
  • 1938 - Christie.s, Frocks & Umbrella, boot warehouse
  • 1939 - Selfridges (Australia) Ltd, 1939-1950, Chain Store
  • 1951 - Coles Variety Store
  • 1980 - Newcastle City Health Foods
  • 1998 - Angus & RobertsonBook Store
  • 1997 - The Building was totaly renovated by JML Constructions for Go Hunter Mall P/L       chk point 95-97ok
  • Currently - French Chateau
180 Hunter St / 86 Hunter St / 134 Hunter St  Newcastle,   
  • 1900 - J.A. Haigh & Co, Confectioners 86 Hunter St
  • 1909 - R. Hunter, Stationer  34 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Elliotts Ltd, 1920-2006, High Class Tailors 2 shops
  • Currently - Baggas Pharmacy

149 Hunter St / 99 Hunter St Newcastle,  Coles Building
  • 1860 - Ingall & Sons, Milliners
  • 1909 - H.A. Pocklington, Stationer 99 Hunter St 
  • 1910 - Hunter & Sons, Boot Dealers & Leather
  • 1930 - The California Cafe, 1930-1935,  was Relocated to 1 Hunter St
  • 1930 - Tredrite, 1930-1936, Shoe Store
  • 1936 - Selfridges Australia Ltd, 1936-1950, (Opened 30th Jul)
  • 1950 - Coles Supermarket, George James (G. J.)
  • 1970 - The Cavern Night Club above Coles in Wolf Street
  • 1997 - The Coles Building was purchased by a Newcastle Development Syndicate. I instigated the sale of the Coles site to 'Go Hunter Mall Pty Ltd,' which comprised of myself as well as another 5 local business people. The property was redeveloped by one of our shareholders JML Constructions. The tenants comprised of, Angus & Robertson, Millers Fashion, Sandy Chong Hairdressing, Hearing impairment, and part of the new extension to the Lyric Theatre.
  • 1998 - Angus & RobertsonBook Store
  • 2006 - Go Hunter Mall Pty Ltd sold property to GPT properties
  • 2017 - GPT properties sold to IRIS Capitol
  • Currently - All tenants closing down ready for part demolition and redevelopment
  • Property Owner: GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000           
182 Hunter St / 88 Hunter St / 136 Hunter St, Newcastle, School of Arts
  • 1877 - Newcastle School of Arts,
  • 1902 - Earliest remaining building constructed for Newcastle Borough
  • 1891 - The School of Arts was vacated for premises at the Telegraph Office
  • 1910 - Edmund Hows, 1910-1932,  Boot Importer
  • 1920 - Hustler's, 1920-1950, 
  • 1992 - Sound World, owned by Spero Davias moved to larger premises at 182 Hunter St from 200 Hunter st and Re-opened on the 4 Sep 1992,  Records, cassette tapes,  Compact Disks and recorded Music. Sound Worl closed its Hunter St Mall Shop in 2006
  • 2007 - Mall Newsagency
  • Currently - Vacant

149a Hunter St / 101 Hunter St Newcastle  Soul Pattinson Building
  • 1860 - Paine, Fancy Goods
  • 1909 - W.H. Sproull & Co, 1909-1950,  Chemist 101 Hunter St
  • 1920 - George Adams Ltd, 1920-1938,  Cake Manufacturers
  • 1938 - Cook's Ham Shop, Smallgoods
  • 1987 - Baggas Newcastle Pharmacy
  • 2015 - Sol Invictus Motorcycle Co
  • Currently - Upper Floor, The Pilates Barre Newcastle, Dance Fitness
184 Hunter St / 88 Hunter St / 138 Hunter St,  Newcastle, School of Arts Bldg 
  • 1900 - Ingal & Son, 1900-1932,  Draper
  • 1920 - Hustler's, 1920-1950, 
  • 1940 - Bruce Signs, Signwriter.
  • 1960 - Carla's Swimwear,
  • Currently - Betta Shoe Repair,  professional shoe repairs

151 Hunter St / 103 Hunter St Hunter St Newcastle,  Soul Pattinson Building
  • 1860 - Harris & Sproull
  • 1908 - Stuttafords,  Umbrella Repairs.
  • 1909 - Herbert Harvey, Tobacconist  103 Hunter St
  • 1931 - Lowes Mens wear
  • 1938 - W.H. Sproul & Co, Chemist
  • 1950 - Shirley Shoe Company Pty Ltd, Shoe retailers.
  • 1950 - Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd. Chemist,  is one of Australias leading Pharmacy groups.Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd. Chemist, 
  • 1987 - Baggas Newcastle Pharmacy
  • 2015 - Sol Invictus Motorcycle Co
  • Currently - Vacant store ready for demolition
186 Cnr Hunter St / 88a Hunter St / 140-142 Hunter St,  NewcastleSchool of Arts Bldg
  • 1893 - The Emporium, Mens Clothers
  • 1909 - Commonwealth Bank Of Australia
  • 1910 - Upper Floor, Newcastle School of Arts,  
  • 1910 - Nippon Kaisha, 1910-1920, Japanese Silk Store
  • 1920 - Upper Floor, The Victoria Leagues Club
  • 1920 - Hustler's, 1920-1950
  • 1932 - Berkeley Model Frocks
  • 1950 - Upper Floor, Australian Communist Party
  • 1950 - The Koala Bar, ProprietorsThe Douglas Bros,
  • 1960 - The Koala Bar, Nick Politis into the parnership
  • 1960 - Upper Floor, Pinocchios disco,
  • 1970 - Upper Floor, Giuseppi's Photo Studio 
  • 1999 - McElwaine's Cafe Davids McElwaine
  • 2000 - Corner Cafe Purchased by Scorrer
  • 2004 - Corner Cafe Sold
  • 2010 - All Bar One Cafe
  • 2018 - Newcastle City Council, sold the property to a Sydbey purcheser 
  • Currently - Corner Cafe, now Vacant since the 30th June 2019


155-157 Cnr Hunter St / 105 Hunter St  Newcastle   Duke of Kent Hotel
  • 1878 - Royal Exchange Hotel  1878-1938, (1878 . A.C. Hollinshed, Thos B Sharp) 105 Hunter St
  • 1910 - Pikes Boot Making Company   
  • 1938 - The Duke of Kent Hotel 1938-1950, (P.J.Ryan) (155) J
  • 1985 - Advance Bank, was an Australian bank that existed from 1985 until 1997, when it merged with St George Bank.It started as the NSW Permanent Building & Investment Society in 1939. .In 1982, it established a funds management division,
  • 1987 - Mall Newsagency
  • 2015 - Current - JoJo's Homeware soon to demolished to make way for the East End Development & Apartments
Wolf St

Wolf St
190 Cnr Hunter St / 90 Hunter St / 144 Hunter St   Newcastle,  NPBS
  • 1909  The Australian Hotel   1909-1920, James Timmony,  Proprietor, (Late of the London Tavern, Market-square)
  • 1932 - Specialty House, Confectionery
  • 1940 - Williams & Co, Furniture                   90ok
  • Currently: - Newcastle Permanent Building Society
Hunter  St
159 Cnr Hunter St / 107 Hunter St Newcastle, East End,  Caldwell's Corner
  • 1886 - Capper Bros, Ironmongers
  • 1935 - Victor and Palings, "Hear the 1935 "Victor and Palings" High Fidelity Radios. A revelation in tone, Terms $2 deposit."
  • 1909 - William Dombkins, (Wilhelm Dumke) Boot Shop, on the corner of Hunter and Wolfe Streets reveals a typical Victorian streetscape with the wide verandas and awnings that covered the entire footpath. This streets cape dominated the city until 1929 when the wide and elegant balconies were demolished and replaced by suspended awnings in line with Council policy for Hunter Street.. it was a boot store
  • 1938 - Sellors, Silk Store
  • 1950 - Austens, Frocks
  • 1957 - Caldwell's the jeweler, 1957-2006 near David Jones
  • 2010 - Medicare
  • 2015 - Patina, Custom Oak Tables
  • 2016 - Current - H & R Block, Tax Accountants
192 Hunter St / 92 Hunter St / 146 Hunter St,  Newcastle   NPBS
  • 1876 - J.M. Merrington, New drapery & outfitting warehouse opposite The Rouses Hotel. J. M. MIERRINGTON, Has laid in an Entirely New Stock, Ex Mail Steamer and other Late Arrivals, which will be continually replenished The Stock comprises all the Leading Novelties of the Season, selected with great care expressly to suit the reqmuire.manta of this rising district. No Auction Rubbish.
  • 1909 - Miss Janet Hunter, Milliner
  • 1932 - Farr's Markets Ltd, the first Australian supermarket
  • Currently - Newcastle Permanent Building Society

159a Hunter St / 109 Hunter St Newcastle East End, Caldwell's Corner   
  • 1886 - W.H. Roberts, Fancy Goods     109 Hunter St.            
  • 1920 - Green Bros, 1920-1938, Jewelers
  • 1938 - The Ritz Milk Bar Newcastle.1938-1950,  In 1943 the proprietor was Michael Shannos1947 Theo Rafty was proprietor, by 1948 the Proprietor partners where Peter Scott and John Rafty.                   
  • 1950 - Andersons, Frocks
  • 1954 - The Ritz had expanded to 159 Hunter St.  
  • 2010 - Earth To Moon,
  • 2015 - Bella
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Building
194-196 Hunter St / 94-96 Hunter St / 148-152 Hunter St  Newcastle,  Johns Silks Building 
  • 1909 - Frank Goldsmith Ltd, 1909-1932, Boot Importers
  • 1932 - Mrs E. Winn, Costume Maker
  • 1985 - John's Building sold and renovated into individual stores
  • 1986 - Stoned, Trevor & Lynette Fing, range of clothing stores
  • Currently - One Penny Black, coffee shop  & Morrin Dentist first floor

161a Hunter St / 111 Hunter St Newcastle, East End    Washington House,
  • 1897 - Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, 1897-1958,  Importers, Milliners, Clothiers, Mercers.
  • 1920 - E. Witherspoon, Grocer
  • 1920 - W.G. Sweeney,
  • 1930 - George E. Firkin, Chemist
  • 1938 - New Hunter Chain Stores
  • 1938 - Gardiner's Ltd, 1938-1950,  Joe, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1958 - David Jones, 1958-2012,  (acquired Scott's) David Jones cloed in 1912 and was Demolished in 2019,  
  • 1983 - Gentlemens Outfitters,
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Building and a luxury hotel, which will be known as QT Newcastle.
196 Hunter St / 98 Hunter St / 154 Hunter St)  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg 
  • 1909 - Fairless Bros, Booksellers & Fancy Goods.
  • 1909 - Johns Silks Store,
  • 1920 - Nicholson & Co Ltd, Music Store, Piano's, show rooms
  • 1932 - Ranson's Crockeryware
  • 1940 - Northumberland Permanent Building Investment Society,1940-1950,  also, Mercantile Mutual Insurance Co Tel 60
  • 1985 - John's Building sold and renovated into individual stores
  • 1986 - Julie Farragher, Hairdresser, Neil Farragher
  • 2010 - Factory Clearance Store
  • Currently - Clothing Store

163-167 Hunter St / 111b Hunter St Newcastle, East End,  Washington House,
  • 1878 - W. Grisdale & Co. Royal Arcade, Ready Made Clothing Boys & Men, For working class Newcastle
  • 1897 - Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, 1897-1958,  Importers, Milliners, Clothiers, Mercers.
  • 1909 -  Harris Maurice, Piano Distributor
  • 1909 - Scotts Pty Ltd, 1909-1957, General Drapers.
  • 1920 - J.E. Cook, Small Goods
  • 1938 - Washington Handley Soul
  • 1983 - Gentlemens Outfitters,
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Building
198-200 Hunter St / 100 Hunter St / 156-160 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg 
  • 1909 - John Hunter & Co, Leather Merchants  100 Hunter St Johns Silks Store, Johns sold the building around 1984. it was extensively renovated and rebuilt, allowing several new stores to open.
  • 1920 - Hustlers, Drapers
  • 1932 - Cash & Carry Drapery Stores
  • 1985 - John's Building sold and renovated into individual stores
  • 1986 Sound World, owner Spero Davias opened his 4th store in the CBD on the 23 June 1986, Later, on the 4th Sep 1992,  relocated to larger premises at 182 Hunter St
  • 1992 - Newsagency
  • Currently - Book Grocer

165 Hunter St / 113 Hunter St  Newcastle, East End   David Jones Building 
  • 1843 - The Rouse Hotel  (Robinson) Built on the DJ's Site. William Rouse in 1839 Chief Constable. In 1843 he failed to apply for his license for the Steam Carriage Inn which was to close its doors, however he did obtain a license for his splendid new house, under the sign of the The Newcastle Inn.
  • 1882 - Rouse Hotel. (For many years of the Newmarket Hotel),
  • 1860 -  Hewitt BrosFishing Tackle
  • 1897 - Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, 1897-1958, Importers, Milliners, Clothiers, Mercers.
  • 1909 - Herbert A. Hawkins, Chemist   113 Hunter St
  • 1920 - Harry Charleston, Photographer
  • 1930 - Howard Harris Studios
  • 1930 - Robe Store, Specialist
  • 1930 - Miss E. Yates, Ladies Hairdresser
  • 1938 - Miss O. Lavington, Ladies Hairdresser
  • 1938 - Lowes Ltd, 1938-1950, Tailors
  • 1938 - Upper Floor, G. S. Cole, Dentist
  • Currently - All Buildings demolished for the Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Buildings

202-206  Hunter St 102-104 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg  
  • 1909 - Hewit Bros, Ironmongers
  • 1930 - a vacant block   162
  • 1986 - Sew City
  • Currently - Book Grocer

169-187 Hunter St / 115 Hunter St Newcastle, East End    David Jones Building                   
  • 1897 - Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, 1897-1958, Importers, Milliners,
  • 1909 - Green Bros, Jeweler   115 Hunter St
  • 1910 - Ways Ltd, Refreshment Rooms, 1910-1930,
  • 1932 - Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd, 1932-1938m, Chemist
  • 2019 - David Jones buildings were all Demolished
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Building
208 Hunter St / 106 Hunter St (former 164)  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg
  • 1909 - Bernard & Co, Picture Framer
  • 1930 - The Australasian Scale Co and Avery Ltd, Scale Manufacturers   164


169 Hu
nter St / 117 Hunter St  Newcastle, East End,  David Jones Building
  • 1843 - The Newcastle Inn
  • 1897 - Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, 1897-1958, Importers, Milliners,
  • 1909 - David James Jones, Draper 
  • 1938 - Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd, 1938-1950, Chemist
  • 1958 - David Jones (acquired Scott's) 1958-2012, David Jones cloed in 1912 and was Demolished in 2019
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Building
  • For further info on Scotts
210 Hunter St / 108 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg
  • 1909 - Alfred C. Moodie, Clothier 
  • 1930 -  Newcastle Spray Paint Co   166

175 Hunter St / 119a Hunter St Newcastle, David Jones Building
  • 1909 - David James Jones, 1909-1957, Draper
  • Currently - Construction of the Newcastle East Apartment Buildings
212 Hunter St / 110 Hunter St 166 Hunter St  Newcastle, Old johns & Co Bldg
  • 1909 - E.T. Mosely & Co, Stationers
  • 1909 - M.F. Davis, 1909-1920, Confectionery
  • 1930 - Johns & Co
  • 1940 - ES and A Bank Ltd, 1940-1950         168