The History of Hunter Street
Main Page # 1 to # 851 SOUTH SIDE OF HUNTER STREET

A Historical Chronological List of "Who was who in Business in downtown Hunter Street"
from before the turn of the Century, till now
 

By Spero Davias

Cover Story
Lost Hunter St... Our story Begins

A Historical listing by property number of the early businesses of Hunter Street, Newcastle.

City of Newcastle
Newcastle
(updated 21/03/2019)

This project is work in progress
as I find more information, it will be added

drop me an email at spero@soundworld.com.au

If you are looking for my other blog on
the
Greek Cafes of old Hunter St Click Here


NOTES on the Hunter St Numbering System at the end of page 3.

Hunter Street has been divided into 2 sides, starting with the South side  followed by the North side

The Highlights represent 
HotelCafePlace of Interest,  Night Club
This is the SOUTH SIDE OF HUNTER STREET (The Sunny Side of the Street) (The North side is on page 3)

Hunter Street or as it was known back then as Wellington Street, in the beginning it was just a track.  It began near the Newcastle East sandhills and a few hundred metres later petered out in the scrub. It was hilly and water lapped at its northern edge. The track, for that's all it was, went only as far as today's Perkin Street. It was low, prone to flooding, surrounded by ti-tree scrub and made mostly of dirty black sand.

<<<< Starting at Telford and Hunter St.s and continuing west >>>> South side of Hunter Street, Telford to Pacific St Block 

Top Of Town. South Side of Hunter St, Now All Demolished (Photo Uni)
Top Of Town. South Side of Hunter St, Now All Demolished (Photo Uni)
1 Hunter Street Newcastle, 
  • 1926 . It was Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1926 . The Wattle Cafe.
  • 1930-1935 . F. E. Notley, Fruiterer
  • 1935 . The California Cafe. moved there when it closed down its operation at 147 Hunter St Newcastle (4 doors from Wolf St) in 1935 to make way for the opening on July the 30th 1936 of the new Selfridge's Department store. The California, relocated up to number 1 on the corner of Hunter and Telford Streets &. Around 1940, the proprietors of The California Cafe where Arthur Sikiotis and Paul (Polydoros) Paxinos. both originally from Stavros on the Island of Ithaca, Greece. 
  • Note : The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park

Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1926 . It was Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1930-1938 . F. E. Notley, Book Seller & Stationary
  • 1950 . Liquid Gold, a clothing store..
  • Note : The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park

Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1920 . It was Vacant land and sand hills
  • 1920 . Ern Moroney
  • 1930-1932 Mrs, J. Field
  • 1938 . Ralph Sundstrom
  • 1950 . Liquid Gold, a clothing store.
  • 1960 . Northern Spectacle & Optical Co.
  • Note : The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park

7 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1920 . It was Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • 1920-1932 . William W. Chandler
  • 1938 . Mrs M. Thompson
  • 1960 . Beach Hut 
  • Note : The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park

Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1950 . Shipmates Dairy Delight a milkshake and ice cream shop.
  • 1951 - Transcript From Clem Ashford: After opening Shipmates, I got the idea of selling donuts, I saw the people over the road  from my Shipmates shop, who lived in a terraced house , they were on the pension , and I offered them a rental for the downstairs and todo the upstairs for them and they jumped at the idea, because they only had pension money and for people who had no money all of a sudden had this money coming in in rent, every week,I think I was only paying them about twenty pounds a week , which was a lot considering their pension was only 3 or 4 pounds. I moved in there, and l had these donuts, all Kinds I of donuts, and they used to be iced with pineapple and passion fruit and strawberry icing and then they would have walnuts and cream and toffee.  I made up my own recipes. Before I started that one somebody came and asked me would I do the Dairy Queen , so l got the place next door under the same circumstances, and started off with this Dairy Delight, it was the same as Dairy Queen but it was Dairy Delight. 
  • 1920 . James A. Miller
  • 1930 . C Wheatley
  • 1932-1938 . J. Kelly, Tailor
  • 1920 . It was Vacant land among the Newcastle East sand hills
  • Note The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park

Shipmates Sugar & spice
11 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1950 . Shipmates Sugar & spice,  a very popular Hamburger and Donuts shop.
  • 1920-1938 . David J. Quinn

13 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1950 . Play O Mat, a slot car racing and amusement games centre. This was owned by Alec Hankin from A Hankin and company& who later had an amusements, pin ball & Juke box manufacturing and office in Darby Street.
  • 1920 . Mrs Cath Logan
  • 1930-1938 . Mrs, E. J. Harris
  • 1920 . It was Vacant land and sand hills

From the California on the left to the Kosciusko Cafe, right
15-17 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1938 . The Beach Milk Bar
  • 1942 . The Kosciusko Cafe, proprietors were Basil Stavros (Stavrianopoulos) and John Rafty who were partners. The partnership was dissolved on the 31st Oct 1945, Basil Stavros stayed on as proprietor.John Rafty (Ioannis Raftopoulos) from 36 Corlette Street Cooks Hill arrived in Australia from Kioni, Ithaca, Greece in 1939. Later: The The Kosciusko Cafe was passed on to Basil.s Son, Chris Stavros (Stavrianopoulos) 
  • Note : Next to the Kosciusko was the eastern top part of Pacific Park which wound its way up to the old Royal Newcastle Hospital.
  • 1920 # 15 . I.M. Wilks
  • 1920 # 17 . Mrs E.E. Edwards, Fruiterer
  • 1930 # 17a . Mrs H. McGregor, Cafe
  • 1919 . It was Vacant land amongst the sand hills
  • Note : The buildings where demolished in 1979, to allow for the extended Pacific Park
    Pacific Park, .Top of town. Hunter St, with The Royal Newcastle Hospital & Newcastle Beach

<<<<< Pacific Park >>>>>>

Pacific Park with Hellenic Court in the background (Photo UNI)

<<<< Crossing over Pacific St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
South side of Hunter St, Pacific to Watt St Block

The area in the block below, up and until 1930, was mainly made up of sand hills, before some buildings began to appear.
The Moccadore, Vogue, & Beach Fish Cafe (Photo Newcastle Library)

19 Hunter St  / 33 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1930-1940 . The Moccadore Cafe owned by Denes Koutsouvelis. Located next       block west along Hunter St and crossing over Pacific Street into the old Nurses home block. 
  • 1930 . Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes, Refreshment Rooms
  • Notes : .Denes, was born on the Greek island of Ithaca. He was only 16 when he left home in a sailing ship bound for America. The ship called at Newcastle, and Mr. Denes decided to stay.. He owned the Moccado cafe at the corner of Hunter and Pacific Streets right up to the time of his death. This was one of many cafe.s located on the ground floor of the .Nurses Home. now Essington Apartments
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2000 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below
  • Currently Moor Cafe and previously in 2014 it was The Bogie Hole Cafe.


21 Hunter St  / 35 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1932 . Southern Union Insurance
  • 1932 . Fassifern Coal Co Ltd
  • 1932 . Southern Union Ins Co Ltd
  • 1938 . Croft Bros Pty Ltd, Colliery Owners 
  • 1940 .Dorothea Salon, Children.s fashion
  • 1950 .Max Stemler, a medical bio-chemist
  • Currently Restaurant Mason
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2001 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below

23 Hunter St  / 37 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1930-1932 . Palais De luxe, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1930 . The Greek Club
  • 1940The Hortons, Tea Rooms
  • 1941 . Peters Better Cakes. its proprietors then were Peter Sourlos, and Alexander Zeppos.
  • 1947 .The Vogue Cafe, the proprietors were Alexander Zeppos from 58 Church St. and Peter SourlosIt had its own bakery upstairs.
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above

25 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1930 . J.A. Myers  Stationer & Bookseller
  • 1932 . A Smalley, 1938 . J. Neville, Newsagent & Stationer 
  • 1950 . T.J. Ledsam, Newsagent
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above

27 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1921 . The Oxford CafePhone B1980
  • 1947 The Paragon Cafe purchased by John Raftos and his brother Nick Raftos, The Cafe was sold a few years later.  Notes :As advertised in 1947 .The New, Modern .Paragon Cafe. (50 yards from T. & G. Building,) We specialise in grills, salads, fish meals, and all kinds of toasted sandwiches.,
  • 1932-1938 . Charker & Co, Auctioneers
  • 1932 . Hart & Welford, Dressmakers
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above

29 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1940 . Reg Lazarus Fruit Shop
  • 1930 . J. F. Leach, Cafe,
  • 1932 . C. Atmore, Cafe
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2001 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below

31 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1930-1938  W.G. Watson & CoElectrical Engineers
  • 1940 . Kia-ora Cafe
  • 1945 . Layfields, Cafe
  • 1946 - Kad.s Cafe
  • NoteAll existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above 
  • 2000 - were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below
  • Property Owner:G GERARDI & R GERARDI 2289

33 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1930 . Gordon & Gotch Aust Ltd, Wholesale Newsagents
  • 1941 . School of Dancing (Opp. The Old .Sun. Building). Principal: Jeanne Nicholas.
  • 1940 . Vacant
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2001 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below
  • Property Owner:G GERARDI & R GERARDI 2289

35 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1920 . Union Pictures Ltd
  • 1938 . The Newcastle Registration Board
  • 1932-1940 . The Newcastle Jockey Club Ltd.
  • 1940 . The Newcastle Rugby Football League
  • 1950. Browns Boot Hospital,  Boot and Shoe repairers.
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2001 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below

37 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1930-1938 . Johnson & Hey, Typewriter Agents
  • Note: All existing buildings were demolished to make way for The New Nurses Home above which in 2001 were converted to the Essington Apartments, with shops below

The Beach Fish Cafe, with George Davias & Staff


39 
Hunter St Newcastle 

41 Hunter St Newcastle,

The Great City Oyster Saloon 1890
43-47 Hunter St Newcastle,

The T&G Building
45  Cnr Hunter St Newcastle,  The T&G Building with various tenants (1920 numbering  system)

<<<< Crossing over Watt / George St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>
Southern side of Hunter St, Watt to Bolton St block&.

NOTE: Before 1908, Hunter St began at Watt St. In 1908 the buildings on allotments 3 and 4 in Watt Street were demolished in order to extend Hunter Street, East through to the sand hills & the beach. NOTE in 1909, one of the old numbering system, starting at number 01 Hunter St,  on the corner of Watt and Hunter st.s

The Australian Joint  Stock Bank 1852 (Photo Uni)
49-51 Cnr Hunter St / 01 Hunter St  Newcastle, (1909 Numbering System 01 Hunter St Starts)

53 Hunter St / 03 Hunter St  Newcastle,

55 Hunter St / 05 Hunter St  Newcastle

57 Hunter St / 07 Hunter St Newcastle,  AMP Chambers

59 Hunter St / 09 Hunter St  Newcastle,

  • 1895 . W. Mcleod, Books, Stationery and Newspapers.
  • 1909 James H. McLean, Bootmaker
  • 1920 . Barnes Ltd, Bootmaker
  • 1930 . O.Ryans Tennis Shop
  • 1930 . Youngs Music House, George H Young, Proprietor
  • 1940 . The Queensland Insurance Co
  • Currently: . The Medical Practice Newcastle
  • Property Owner:C GRACE 2300


61 Hunter St / 11 Hunter St Newcastle,


Henry Asser, Bookseller and Stationer, The Yacht Club Hotel is next door 1897 (Photo uonarchi)

63 Hunter St / 13 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1897 Henry Asser, Bookseller and Stationer.
  • 1909 . William Moore, Solicitor
  • 1909 . William E. Smith, Painter
  • 1909 . Alfred W. Ackroyd, Architect
  • 1909 . Whyte & Dean, Electrical Engineering
  • 1920 . William H. Bruce, Tailor
  • 1930-1990 . Greentree & Robertson, Chemist
  • 1950 . J.A. Robertson, Chemist
  • Currently: it.s Doggy Chu
  • Property Owner:J A MORGAN 2303


Yacht Club Hotel 22nd February 1876 (Photo via Ricky Walters)

65 
Hunter St / 15 Hunter St,
 Newcastle, (In 1909 = 15 Hunter, In 1910 known as 65 Hunter) 

  • 1870-1890 The Yacht Club Hotel ..
  • 1890-1990 The Westminster Hotel Was Built on the site of the old Yacht Club Hotel after the fire of 1876, (R. Bonventi) In 1938 proprietor was C.H. Pyatt
  • 1990 - The Westminster Hotel ceased trading and was redeveloped into Apartments.
  • Note: The Westminster Hotel in 1990 and the license was transferred to the Mean Fiddler Hotel in Rouse Hill.
  • Currently:  SushiNet and Westminster Apartments above.    ok15
    The Westminster Hotel 1910 (Photo Uni) 


<<<< Laneway >>>>

67-71 Hunter St / 19 Hunter StNewcastle, The Commercial Bank of Australia 

  • 1891 . The American Bar Cafe.
  • 1909 . Robert Edmunds, Bookseller
  • 1910- 1958 . GF, The Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd, 
  • Note: CBA of Australia merged with Westpac in 1982 
  • 1940- 1950 J. L. Shaw,Broker
  • 1940 Mutual Life and Citizens Assurance Co
  • 1940 Dr E.W. Ferguson
  • 1940 Eric ArmstrongSolicitor
  • 1950 . J. E. Capper, Accountant.
  • 1950 . Lamb & Boa, Accountant.
  • 1950 . R.S. Timbury, Agents Manufacturing.
  • 1950 . T.E. Flett, Chiropodists
  • 1950 . Dr E.W. Ferguson.
  • Currently: . AA Brothers . Computer Parts, and a block of Apartments above


73-75 Hunter St 21 Hunter St (numbering used pre 1909) Newcastle
  • 1876 The Bank of New Zealand
  • 1894 . Peter Paxinos, Fruiterer,  Restaurant and refreshment room.
  • 1905 . Sam Barnett Tobacconist
  • 1909 .1938 . Commercial Banking Co of Sydney, 
  • Note: The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney merged with the National Bank of Australasia in 1982 creating the National Australia Bank.
  • 1920-1940 . GF, The Commonwealth Bank Of Australia
  • 1920 . Gf . O.Sullivan & Co, Tailors
  • 1930 . Fassifern Coal Co Ltd
  • 1930 . Southern union Insurance Co Ltd
  • 1940 . The Motor Traders Insurance Co
  • 1950 . The Government Insurance Office Of NSW
  • Currently: . Commercial Banking Co of Sydney Building With apartments above


<<<  Crossing over Bolton St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>> Bolton to Newcomen St Block

Rural Bank Cnr Bolton & Hunter St, looking west from Post Office 1972 (Photo Newcastle Herald) digi col
7Cnr Hunter St / 23 Hunter St, Newcastle,
Criterion Hotel to 1956 Cnr Bolton & Hunter St, looking west (Photo ANU)

79 Hunter St / 25 Hunter St, Newcastle,

81a Hunter St / 25a Hunter St, Newcastle,

81 Hunter St / 27 Hunter St, Newcastle

83 Hunter St / 29 Hunter St, Newcastle

85 Hunter St / 31 Hunter St, Newcastle

87 Hunter St / 33 Hunter St Newcastle,


89 Hunter St / 35 Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1909 The British Piano Depot, Walter Stent, Music Teacher, Miss Jean Garrett, Music Teacher, Miss Doris Napier-North, Music Teacher 35 Hunter St
  • 1920 . George Paxinos, Refreshment Rooms & Confectionary.
  • 1930-1938 . C. Hyman, Watchmaker & Jeweler
  • Prouds, Watchmaker & Jeweler
  • Currently: A Vacant Store  


91 Hunter St / 37 Hunter St Newcastle,


Toni.s Cafe (Photo by Matthew Ward)
93 Hunter St / 39 Hunter St  Newcastle,

93a Hunter St / 41 Hunter St  Newcastle,

95  Hunter St / 43 Hunter St  Newcastle,

97 Hunter St / 45 Hunter St Newcastle,

99 Hunter St / 47 Hunter St  Newcastle,

101 Cnr Hunter St / 49 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1876 . Galley.s Family Hotel (George Galley)
  • 1909 . Lee & Co, Tailors Shop2
  • 1918-1950 Coo Ee Clothing Company, Tailors, Boys clothing retail, shop2
  • 1920 . G.C. Henderson, Tailor
  • 1940 . R. Wilson, Fishmonger
  • 1942 . The Matara Gourmet BarIt was located on the east corner of Hunter & Newcomen St,  It was owned by John (Yianko) Rafty
  • 1960 . Shindig Village NightClubabove the Matara Bar. It was operated by Phil & Jenny Clarke who also owned Pumpkins Boutique.
  • Palmers Menswear
  • Harrey.s Bag Store
  • Currently: a Vacant Store

<<  Crossing over Newcomen St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>
South side of Hunter St, Newcomen to Morgan St Block

103 Cnr Hunter St / 51 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 . The Hunt Club Hotel  (M.J. Moroney) 
  • 1909-1940 . The  Masonic Hotel (George K McLaren, Masonic Hotel 1920 Richard Bath)
  • 1930-1938 . M. Anderson, Specialising in ready to wear robes.
  • 1950 .C E Sorby & CompanyForks Rakes, Shovels Wire Netting, Watering Pots Garden Hose, we have a Reputation for Selling Cheap, which is something worth keeping, and are determined to do so.
  • CurrentlyThe Ground Floor Cafe.  previous it was Gloria Jeans Coffee Shop. ok51

The Astoria Cafe & others
103A-105 Hunter St / 53-59 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 - J.C. Kelly & Co, Drapers
  • 1891 - Scotts Ltd, W. Scott, Drapers, 53 to 61 Hunter St
  • 1900 . JC Kelly & Co, Drapers
  • 1910 . T.J. Charnock, Tailor
  • 1925-1938 . The Astoria Sundae Parlor, Opened originally by proprietors, Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Brett. 
  • 1943 The Astoria Café was taken over by proprietors, Jerry Kolivas, (who was also Manager) Michael Shannos, and Chris Stelianos.
  • Notes : On Christmas Eve 1942, The Astoria advertised in the Newcastle Herald .that it would be closing on Sundays as there was a shortage of high quality foodstuffs to go around the full week. This action is taken In order that the same High Standard of Quality and Efficient Service that the .Astoria. Is noted for, might he maintained throughout the week days to our numerous regular Patrons..
  • Notes : By December 1943, The Astoria also advertised .that it would be closing at 7.30pm every night, due to the rationing of foodstuffs, and power problems, etc..
  • Notes : In January 1946 The Astoria announced that it just reopened after an extensive renovation. The Astoria was located 2nd from the corner on Hunter St and west from Newcomen Street. The Astoria was still trading up and until Nov 1954. Phone B3026
  • 1938-1950 . Mac Frank, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1950 Anderson.s, Frocks
  • Currently:- Subway Restaurant.
  • Property Owner: LANDCOM

  T
The Astoria Cafe (digi color Spero)

105-107 Hunter St / 55-61 Hunter St Newcastle, 
  • 1886 - Provost, Fancy Goods (in shop 107)
  • 1886 - R. Ingall & Sons, Milliners
  • 1891 Tom Ellis  Bookmaker. Cheap boot repairs. As advertised .Wanted to be known. .EIlis, Hunter-st, has- been specially appointed Boot maker to His Excellency the Right Honorable the Earl of Jersey, G.O.M,G..
  • 1891 Scotts Ltd, W. Scott, Drapers, 53 to 61 Hunter St
  • 1910-1953 . Mick Simmonds Ltd, Tobacconist
  • 1932-1938 . Creed.s Ltd, Robe Specialists
  • 1932 . W.S. BrendenRadio, Sporting Requirements
  • 1950 . Headwise Hats Pty Ltd, Milliners
  • 1950 . Fletcher Jones Australia
The Astoria Cafe with Jerry Kolivas (digi color Spero)

109-111 Cnr Hunter St / 63 Hunter St  Newcastle, Simmons. Chambers
  • 1886 . A.J. Potter, Watchmaker
  • 1886 . Featherston, Clothier
  • 1891-1909 Scotts Ltd, W. Scott, Drapers, 53 to 61 Hunter St
  • 1895 . Cook and Co, Economical Cash Drapers
  • 1909-1938 . A.J. Potter & Co, Jewelers
  • 1909 . George Williams, Music Teacher
  • 1920 . Commonwealth Shoe Co Ltd
  • 1930-1938 . Simmons. Chambers
  • 1930 . A.J. Larkin, Dentist
  • 1930 . A.J. Reedman, Builder
  • 1930 .  Shop Assistants Union
  • 1932-1938 . Mac.s, Boot Shop
  • 1932-1938 . Mick Simmonds Ltd, Tobacconist
  • 1932 . H.E. Koll, Chemist
  • 1940 . The Dell, Restaurant
  • 1938-1940 . Gibb & Beeman, Ltd, Opticians
  • 1950-1972 . Fays Shoes .Shoe Store
  • 1970 . Camera House &
  • Currently: . Bike Store, The Nook Store and 1st Floor its Pole-Arise fitness.

 <<< Crossing over Morgan St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
South side of Hunter St, Morgan to Market St Block

Hunter St Mall 1972 (Photo Uni)

117 Cnr Hunter St / 65 Hunter St  Newcastle,

119 Hunter St / 67-69 Hunter St Newcastle,

119a Hunter St Newcastle,

121 Cnr Hunter St / 71 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1909 . Atkinson & Hughes, Mercers
  • 1909 . Maurice T. Davies, Confectioner
  • 1920-1930 . Richard Rundle, Tailor
  • 1921 . The No. 2 Astoria Cafeproprietors were Michael Shannos  & Speros Benas.
  • Notes : .Newcastle.s Leading Confectionery Importers. Shipments Landing Weekly from all the best English & Continental Makers. We claim these Lines are the Best Procurable. Unexcelled for Flavour, Purity guaranteed. All Pascall.s Toffoc in Sixpenny and Shilling Tins. The Best Chewing.Gum on the Market is CHICLETS,.A Dainty, Wholesome, and Healthful Confection. Lawney.s American Chocolates. Cadbury Chocolates always in Stock..
  • 1938-1950 . Fostar.s Shoes Pty Ltd, Boot and Shoe retailers. Shop2
  • 1995 . Caldwell the Jeweler.
  • Currently. Studio Melt a Contemporary Jewellery , The Birdcage On Hunter,  Ladies. Wear

Borough Markets, Demolished in 1915 (photo uonarchi)
129-131a Hunter St / 75 Hunter St  Newcastle, Top of Market St
  • 1870 The Borough Markets. (City Markets) The foundation stone of the Borough Markets was laid in 1870 by Mayor William A Sparke. It was built by Smith Thomas, who was a well-known and respected figure in the building industry of Newcastle for almost 60 years, and designed by an established Sydney architect, G. A. Mansfield, and its construction was supervised by Joseph Backhouse. The markets were demolished in 1915.
  • 1909 - City Markets
  • Currently. Mr 3, Ladies. Fashion and the new Market Square  75ok

123 Hunter St / 77 Hunter St Newcastle, / 187 Hunter st on the old system
  • 1878-1938 . The Newmarket Hotel (Mrs Cath Thompson), Brewers Tooheys bought its licence. 77 Hunter St 
  • 1900 . W Shirlow, Boot and Shoe Store
  • 1905-1910 . Henry Endersby.s Boot Store, 
  • 1910 Endersby.s was sold to the Nobby Shoe Company of Sydney (later the Commonwealth Shoe Company) The manager of the Nobby Shoe Company/Commonwealth Shoe Company was David Leslie Sharp, who became Henry.s son-in-law.  David Sharp had married Henry.s daughter, Florence Hannah Endersby, in December 1906 and they went on to establish Sharps Shoe Store in 1929 at 205 Hunter Street.  David Sharp was 26 when he married Florence and was 30 when he was the manager of the Nobby Shoe Company, following its acquisition from Henry Endersby in 1910.
  • 1910.1920 . Atkinson & Hughes, The hat kings, Hatters & Mercers    77ok
  • 1930 . W.S.Peisley, Dentist,
  • 1930-1938 . Miss E. Corcoran, Dermatologist
  • 1930-1938 . Sperling.s Fur Department
  • 1932-1938 . Spencer Block Buildings
  • 1938 . Evalyn-Mellor, Studio Photographers   

Ncle Herald Clip, Lucernes Strand Butchery
125 Hunter St / 79 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1901 - Lucernes Strand Butchery  125 Hunter St 1909 . Samuel BarnettTobacconist 79 Hunter St 
  • 1910 . Rudolph Langer, Stationer
  • 1920 . Gerald Levy, Tobacconist
  • 1930 . Morgans Cakes Ltd,
  • 1930-1938 . Way.s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1938 . Sergeants Ritz Milk Bar
  • 1950 . Hunter and Son Pty Ltd Juno, Boot and Shoe retailers.

127 Hunter St / 81 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1910-1930 . Lowes Ltd, Tailors
  • 1910 . W.S. Preisley, Dentist
  • 1920 . Spencer Block Buildings
  • 1930-1938 . T. Sperling, Ladies Frocks
  • 1938 . Eastern Arts, Art Salon
  • 2000 ? Caldwell Jewelers

The Strand Theater in the 1970's (Photo Lost Newcastle)
129 Hunter St / 83 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1909 . Hunter and Son Pty Ltd Juno, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1930-1950. The Strand Picture Theatre, which was Demolished in the early  1980.s to make way for the redevelopment of Market Square. Note, across the road, the Hunter on Hunter Hotel on the left and Palings on the right.
  • 1980 . The new Market Square shopping centre, built by Kern Corporation Ltd on the old Strand site, was then opened by NSW Premier Neville Wran on November 17, 1980,
  • CurrentlySussan, clothing

131 Hunter St / 85 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1920 . J. Elliott, Cafe
  • 1930-1938 . T. Sperling, Ladies Costumes
  • 1950 . Creedway.s, Frocks

133 Hunter St / 87 hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1938 . Rebuilding
  • 1940-1950 Lucerne.s, Butchers
  • 1950 . R.W. Whitaker & Son, Jeweler.

135a Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 . Summerfield & Co, Tailors
  • 1915 - 1st F, Newcastle Business College
  • 1940 . The Bargain Arcade Pty Ltd No 1, Chain Store
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL

137-141 Hunter St / 89 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 . J. Hunter, Boot Shop
  • 1899 . Refreshment RoomsManufacturing Pastry Cook and Confectioner
  • 1908.1930 Hunter & Son Ltd, Boot, Bag, Leather & Grindery store
  • 1950 Woolworths LtdDepartment Store. 147 Hunter St
  • Caldwell the Jeweler

1916 Lyric Cafe Add
143 Cnr Hunter St / 91 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1860-1880 .  The Globe Hotel 
  • 1880-1916 .  The Northumberland Hotel (H. Simpson) 
  • 1909 . Robert Christie, Umbrella Maker
  • 1909 . Thomas Parker, Dentist      91chk
  • 1916 . Lyric Cafewas opened by Paxinos and Zervos.
  • 1920 - The proprietors were  Zervos & Raftos. On 4th October 1926 all fixtures and fittings were auctioned..
  • 1930-1938 Bon Ton, Milliners
  • 1946 - Jays TravelHunter St Mall
  • 1948 - The Havana Cafe, the proprietor was John Barlas this was on the corner of Hunter and Thorn Street and just up from the old Strand Theater. 
  • Curently: . Jays TravelHunter St Mall Its all part of the new Market Square  
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL 2300

 <<<<<<< Crossing over Thorn St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>
South side of Hunter St, Thorn to Wolf St Block

T.H. Raysmith, Watchmaker 1897 (R Snowball)
145 Cnr Hunter St / 93 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1860 . A. Smith, Draper, with The Globe Hotel  next door..  
  • 1897.1920 . T.H. Raysmith, Watchmaker
  • 1930-1938 . R, Whitakerwatchmaker & jeweler
  • 1950 . Chic Salon, Lingerie

147-149 Hunter St / 95-97 Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1860 . R. Lipman, Watchmaker
  • 1897-1920 . Llewellyn Davies, Confectionery Manufacturer
  • 1930 . G. Grivas, Confectionary and Refreshments          chk point 95-97ok
  • 1938 . Christie.s, Frocks & Umbrella, boot warehouse
  • 1939-1950 . Selfridges (Australia) LtdChain Store 1951 . Coles Supermarket,
  • 1980 . Newcastle City Health Foods
  • Currently: - French Chateau


Coles Newcastle (Photo Newcastle Herald)
149 Hunter St / 99 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1860 . Ingall & Sons, Milliners
  • 1909 . H.A. Pocklington, Stationer
  • 1910 . Hunter & Sons, Boot Dealers & Leather
  • 1930 . The California Cafe
  • 1930-138 . Tredrite, Shoe Store
  • 1936-1950 .  Selfridges (Australia) Ltd, (Opened 30th Jul) (no connection with the London Store).
  • 1950 . Coles Supermarket, George James (G. J.) Coles learned the retail trade working for his father.s .Coles Store. business from 1910 to 1913. (The store continued operating as .The Original Coles. at Wilmot, Tasmania, until it was destroyed by a fire on 24 January 2014) Coles itself was founded when G. J. Coles opened the .Coles Variety Store. on 9 April 1914 on Smith Street in the Melbourne, Victoria suburb of Collingwood. Further expansion occurred and Coles. interest in food retailing was spurred in 1958 when it acquired 54 John Connell Dickins grocery stores. It then acquired the Beilby.s chain in South Australia in 1959 and 265 Matthews Thompson grocery stores in New South Wales in 1960.
  • 1970 . The Cavern Night Club was on the site above Coles in Wolf Street
  • 1996 - Coles Building purchased by a Newcastle Development Syndicate. Go Hunter Mall Pty Ltd, 6 local business people and redeveloped by JML.
  • 1998 . Angus & robertsonBook Store
  • 1998 - Millers Clothing. Our range of women.s clothing will help you flaunt your style
  • Property Owner: GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000

151 Hunter St / 101 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1860 . Paine, Fancy Goods
  • 1920-1938 . George Adams Ltd, Cake Manufacturers
  • 1909-1950 . W.H. Sproull & Co, Chemist
  • 1938 . Cook.s Ham Shop, Smallgoods
  • Currently:  The Pilates Barre Newcastle, Dance Fitness classes
  • Property Owner:GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000

153 Hunter St / 103 Hunter St Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1860 . Harris & Sproull
  • 1860 . Manning Bros, Grocers
  • 1908 . Stuttafords,  Umbrella Repairs.
  • 1909 . Herbert Harvey, Tobacconist  103chk
  • 1938 . W.H. Sproul & Co, Chemist
  • 1950 . Shirley Shoe Company Pty Ltd, Shoe retailers.
  • 1950 . Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd. Chemist
  • 1980 . Bagga.s Pharmacy
  • Currently- Jo Jo.s Homeware
  • Property Owner:GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000

Royal Exchange Hotel (Photo Uni)

155-157 Cnr Hunter St / 105 Hunter St  Newcastle
  • 1878-1938 . Royal Exchange Hotel  (1878 . A.C. Hollinshed, Thos B Sharp)
  • 1910 . Pikes Boot Making Company   
  • 1938-1950 . The Duke of Kent Hotel (P.J.Ryan) (155) James Fraser, begs to inform the public of Newcastle and Surrounding district that he has opened the Royal Exchange Hotel, with a Large and choice stock of Liqueurs of the best brands, and customers will at all times be served with the best.
  • The Hotel possess every convenience for travellers, has a good ample room, and will be found reletto with every comfort and convenience, having been thoroughly overhauled and put in first-class order.
  • 1980 . Advance Bank

 <<<<< Crossing over Wolf St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>
South side of Hunter St, Wolf to Perkins  

Domkin.s Hunter and Wolfe Streets (photo uonarchi)
159 Cnr Hunter St / 109 Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1886 . W.H. Roberts, Fancy Goods  1909. William Domkin.s, Boot Shop, .on the corner of Hunter and Wolfe Streets reveals a typical Victorian streetscape with the wide verandas and awnings that covered the entire footpath. This streets cape dominated the city until 1929 when the wide and elegant balconies were demolished and replaced by suspended awnings in line with Council policy for Hunter Street.. it was a boot store.
  • 1900 W.H. Roberts, Fancy goods
  • 1920-1938 . Green Bros, Jewelers
  • 1936-1950 . The Ritz Milk Bar Newcastle. In 1943 the proprietor was Michael Shannos1947 Theo Rafty was proprietor, by 1948 the Proprietor partners where Peter Scott and John Rafty.
  • 1950 . Andersons, Frocks
  • 1954 the business had expanded to 159A Hunter St.          109ok
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Caldwell.s the jeweler once stood near David Jones.
  • Currently 2016H & R Block, Tax Accountants 


159a Hunter St / 111a Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886 . Capper Bros, Ironmongers
  • 1938 . Sellors, Silk Store
  • 1980 . Gentlemens outfitters


161 Hunter St / 111 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1843 . The Rouse Hotel (Robinson) Built on the DJ.s Site.
  • William Rouse arrived as a convict on the Baring in 1815. In 1820 he was sentenced to death, the sentence being commuted to transportation to Newcastle for life. In 1825 he was employed on the Boat.s Crew at Newcastle. In 1829 he married Anne Vane/Wade, a convict of the Grenada in 1827.
  • In 1830 William Rouse was employed as Constable and in 1839 Chief Constable.
  • In 1843 he failed to apply for his license for the Steam Carriage Inn which was to close its doors, however he did obtain a license for his .splendid new house. under the sign of the The Newcastle Inn. This was situated in Hunter Street near Perkins Street. Later Scott.s occupied the site.
  • Newcastle Court of Petty Sessions Letter Book 1845 reveal that the Publicans General License held by William Rouse was transferred to his wife Ann Rouse at a Special Court of Petty Sessions in consequence of the departure of William Rouse for England.
  • 1882 . Rouse Hotel. ROBERT C. WATT (For many years of the Newmarket Hotel), Has much pleasure in informing his old friends, and the public generally, that he has SECURED the favourite ROUSE HOTEL, HUNTER-STREET. By attention to his visitors. wants, and supplying the GENUINE ARTICLE ONLY, he believes that he will not fail in securing a liberal patronage. EXCELLENT BILLIARD TABLES, AND ONLY, Brands of best Qualities Kept.
  • 1920 . E. Witherspoon, Grocer
  • 1920 . W.G. Sweeney,
  • 1930 . George E. Firkin, Chemist
  • 1938 . New Hunter Chain Stores
  • 1938-1950 . Gardiner.s Ltd, Joe, Boot and Shoe retailers.
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s 
  • Currently David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building
  • Property Owner:NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL 2300


  • 163-167 Hunter St / 111 Hunter St Newcastle, Washington House,
  • 1878 . W. Grisdale & Co. Royal Arcade, Ready Made Clothing Boys & Men
  • 1909 - Harris Maurice, Piano Distributor
  • 1909-1957 . Scotts Pty Ltd, General Drapers.
  • 1920 . J.E. Cook, Small Goods
  • 1938-1950 . Lowes Ltd, Tailors
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Currently:  David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building
  • Property Owner: GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000


165 Hunter St / 113 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1860 . Hewitt Bros, Fishing Tackle
  • 1909 . Herbert A. Hawkins, Chemist
  • 1920 . H. Charleston, Photographer
  • 1930 . Howard Harris Studios
  • 1930 . Robe Store, Specialist
  • 1930 . Miss E. Yates, Ladies Hairdresser
  • 1938 . Miss O. Lavington, Ladies Hairdresser
  • 1938 . Lowes Ltd, Tailors
  • 1938 . G. S. Cole, Dentist
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Currently:  David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


167 Hunter St / 115 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1909 . Green Bros, Jeweler
  • 1910-1930 . Ways Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1932-1938 . Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd, Chemist
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Currently:  David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


Scott.s Corner 1908 before DJ.s
169-187 Hunter St / 117 Hunter St  Newcastle,

  • 1908-1938 . Scott.s Pty Ltd, General Drapers, Importers, Milliners, Clothiers, Mercers.
  • 1909 . David James Jones, Draper 
  • 1938-1950 . Soul Pattinson Pty Ltd. Chemist
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Currently:  David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building
  • For further info on Scotts
  • Property Owner:GPT HUNTER CUSTODIAN PTY LIMITED & LANDCOM 2000
Scotts2.jpg
Scotts Hunter St 1897
175 Hunter St / 119a Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1899 . J Mackie & Co, Furniture
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • Currently. David Jones now Demolished, it.s the site of the Newcastle East Apartment Building


179a Hunter St / 119b Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1988 . Mrs P.K. Penny,  Underclothing and Baby clothing
  • Currently. David Jones closed in 2011 and now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building
  • Property Owner:NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL 2300


181 Hunter St / 121 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1880 . Joseph Pearson Complete House Furnishers Phone 93
  • 1897 . Scott.s Drapers, 
  • 1905 - William Scott, 121 Hunter Street, was redeveloped in about 1905 to offer William Scott additional space for his expanding business. The early building developed by William Scott remains today. The extant building at Scott.s Corner was not completed until after 1913 so there were at least 3 years between when Henry sold his Hunter Street shoe business and the time when that shop, and others, were demolished to make way for a major building development as William Scott further developed his premises towards the west and onto the Perkin Street corner
  • 1957 - David Jones  who later acquired Scott.s
  • CurrentlyDavid Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


183 Hunter St / 123 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1897 . Scott.s Drapers, 
  • 1900-1905 - W. Shirlow, Boot and Shoe Store
  • 1905-1910 . Henry Endersby, Boot Dealer 123 Hunter St 
  • 1910-1929 - Nobby Shoe Company/Commonwealth Shoe Company, manager was David Leslie Sharp, who became Henry.s son-in-law. David Sharp had married Henry.s daughter, Florence Hannah Endersby, in December 1906 and they went on to establish Sharps Shoe Store in 1929 at 205 Hunter Street. David Sharp was 26 when he married Florence and was 30 when he was the manager of the Nobby Shoe Company, following its acquisition from Henry Endersby in 1910.
  • 1957 - David Jones  who later acquired Scott.s
  • 1910-1929 - Nobby Shoe Company/Commonwealth Shoe Company, manager was David Leslie Sharp, who became Henry.s son-in-law. David Sharp had married Henry.s daughter, Florence Hannah Endersby, in December 1906 and they went on to establish Sharps Shoe Store in 1929 at 205 Hunter Street. David Sharp was 26 when he married Florence and was 30 when he was the manager of the Nobby Shoe Company, following its acquisition from Henry Endersby in 1910.
  • 1957 - David Jones  who later acquired Scott.s
  • Currently:David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


185 Hunter St / 125 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 . Lloyd & Manning, Grocers
  • 1909 . Scott.s Drapers,
  • 1957 . David Jones acquired Scott.s
  • CurrentlyDavid Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


187 Cnr Hunter St / 127 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 . W. Grahame & Son, Watchmaker
  • 1893 . Speros Paizis opened a cafe , known as Scotts Corner (where David Jones once stood), In 1912 he moved around the corner to the Victoria Cafe. .1919 Scott.s Corner, with its electric clock in the tower, telling the correct time, night and day, was one of the principal land-marks of the city.
  • 1905 . Henry Endersby.s Boot Store.
  • 1909 George PaizisFruiterer,
  • Currently. David Jones closed 2011 now Demolished, it.s now the Newcastle East Apartment Building


<<<<< Crossing over Perkins St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>
South side of Hunter St, Perkins to Brown St Block

Jack Sample's Crown and Anchor Hotel 1897.



189-197 Cnr Hunter St / 133 Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1876 . Stuart.s Family Hotel x
  • 1878-2018 . The Crown & Anchor Hotel ..Mrs W.S. Stewart has taken over the cafe next door to the Crown and Anchor in Perkins St, known as Cafe De Paris
    1897 - 
    Jack Sample's Crown and Anchor Hotel ..
  • 1938 - Now . The Crown & Anchor Hotel  E.M. Stewart
  • Currently . The Crown & Anchor Hotel (Mrs E.M. Stewart) incorporating Sprout Dinning, Restaurant
  • Property Owner:ENTASIL PTY LIMITED 2197
    Stuart.s Family Hotel


191a Hunter St / 135 Hunter St Newcastle,    The Crown and Anchor Hotel Site
  • 1907. Greys Cafe, on the site of the Crown and Anchor Hotel.
  • 1910 . John. Blackburn, Watchmaker
  • Property Owner: NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL 2300


191b Hunter St / 139 Hunter St  Newcastle, on the Crown and Anchor Hotel Site

  • 1909  E.A. Guard, Refreshment Rooms ..     chk139


191c Hunter St / 141 Hunter St  Newcastle, on the Crown and Anchor Hotel Site
  • 1909 . Horler Bros, Hatters

191d Hunter St / 143 Hunter St Newcastle, on the Crown and Anchor Hotel Site
  • 1909 . Lewis & Thomas, Drapers

191e Hunter St / 145 Hunter St Newcastle, on the Crown and Anchor Hotel Site
  • 1909 . Charles J. Hart, Chemist

191f Hunter St / 147 Hunter St Newcastle, on the Crown and Anchor Hotel Site
  • 1909 . William Bradley & Co, Boot Shop

193 Hunter St / 149 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1920 . Samuel Reeves, Fruiterer

193A Hunter St Newcastle, on the island opposite the Crown and Anchor Hotel
  • Currently:  BYKKO Hunter St Mall . Electric Bike Sharing Station
  • Property Owner:NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL 2300


195 Hunter St / 151 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1909 . Frank J. Street, Tobacconist 
  • 1920 . John Jones, Small goods
  • 1930 . A.W. Anderson, Smallgoods
  • 1938 . Huxtable Lucky Lottery, Hairdresser


197 Hunter St / 153 Hunter St Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1886-1909 Walter A. Pike, Boot Manufacturer
  • 1920 . John Horler, Hatter
  • 1930-1938 . J. Israel, Jeweler
  • 1940 . Howe.s Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store
  • 1985 . Games Workshop.
  • Currently: . Games Workshop.
  • Property Owner:A L POULTER 2045


Bank of NSW and Winns (Photo Newcastle Herald)
199 Hunter St / 155 Hunter St Newcastle,

  • 1886 . Price, Auctioneer
  • 1910 . William H. Bruce, Tailor
  • 1916 . Marble Bar Cafe
  • 1920 . Bert jones, Confectionary & Bank Of NSW  .. 
  • 1930 .The American Bag Store
  • 1938-1950 Geoff Caldwell, Jewelry.
  • CurrentlyFirst State Super
  • Property Owner:DERMOS PTY LIMITED 2030


201 Hunter St / 157 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 . Gates & Co, Grocer
  • 1910 . James E. Cook, Ham Smallgoods
  • 1920 . Charles J.R. Hart, Chemist
  • 1930-1938 . R.H. Stewart, Chemist
  • 1938-1950 . Newcastle Bag Store Pty Ltd, Handbags Travelgoods 
  • Smarts Bag Store
  • CurrentlyFirst State Super



Hunter & Scott Sts

203 Hunter St / 159 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 . R.O. Charlton, Draper
  • 1909G. Ruggero, Fruiterer
  • 1920-1950 . H.T. Lucernes Meat Markets, Butchers
  • 1930-1938 . Capewell & Taylor, Florists
  • 1950 - Australian Sea Foods McGavins Buther Shop, McGavins took over a number of Lucerne.s butcher shops in later years including the stores on Hunter Street and at 133 Scott Street. They eventually had more than 20 butcher shops in the region. 
  • 1980 .  St George building Society
  • Currently: .Newcastle Family Practice     


205 Hunter St / 159a Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886 . J. Dalby, Boot Shop
  • 1929-1976 . Sharp.s, Boot and Shoe retailers. shop1, the shoe store was taken over by the Wyatt family, following the death of Florence Sharp in 1976. Winns


207 Hunter St / 161 Hunter St  Newcastle,

  • 1909 . The Paragon Hotel  (Jos O.Hanlan)
  • 1920-1938 . Wall G. Edwards, Dentist
  • 1929-1976 . Sharp.s, Boot and Shoe retailers. shop2
  • 1930 . George Field, Electrical & Wireless supplies.
  • 1930 . Domestic Machinery Co Ltd, Electrical Repairs
  • 1938 . E. White, Tailor
  • 1940 . Howe.s Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store Winns
  • Currently. Newcastle Family Practice 



Winns (Photo Uni)
209-223 Hunter St / 163-165 Hunter St  Newcastle,

  • 1878-1980 . William Winn and Company Pty. Ltd. Winns Department Store, In 1897, the eldest son of Mr. Isaac Winn , Mr .William Winn commenced work at the firm.
  • 1947 . SuttonsPlayer Pianos. Beale. Crown, Gul Sransen, etc. Fully reconditioned and guaranteed. Easy terms. SUTTON.S
  • A HISTORY OF WINNS LTD. FROM OCTOBER, 1878 TO 19th JANUARY, 1980,
  • CurrentlyAll now demolished, it.s now an Apartment building.   
  • Property Owner:J KARMAS & A KARMAS (Unit 401) 2304



Winn & Co, Drapers 1897 (Photo R Snowball) Spero Digi Color

211-223 Cnr Hunter St / 167 Hunter St  Newcastle,
  • 1886-1910The Hunter River Hotel  (Laurence Kearney)
  • 1897 . Winn & Co, Drapers
  • 2016 . Green Street, Real estate agent
  • Note: All now demolished, it.s now an Apartment building.
  • Currently: Green Street, Real estate agent


<<<<< Crossing over Brown St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>
South side of Hunter St, Brown to Crown St Block


ANZ Bank (Photo Google)
                                                          
225-231 Hunter St / 171 Hunter St  Newcastle,

  • 1880-1950 . The Bank of Australasia, (Laurence Kearney) The Bank of Australasia had considered commencing operations in East Maitland from 1839. A Newcastle branch was opened in 1854, supplied at the outset with cash from the East Maitland office. The bank purchased the area bounded by Hunter, Brown, King and Crown Streets, one acre, from the Australian Agricultural Company and erected a bank premises on the corner of Hunter and Brown Streets, gradually selling off the remainder of the block.
  • it was the ANZ Bank,  
  • 1960 . first floor  Dr Lindsay and Razmilic Ear Nose and throat specialist.
  • 1980 . Kentucky fried chicken.
  • Property Owner: KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN PTY LTD 2086


227 Hunter St / 173 Hunter St  Newcastle, Bank Chambers,
  • 1880-1909 . R. Bryant, Saddler

229 Hunter St / 175-177 Hunter St  Newcastle, Australiasian Bank Chambers
  • 1880The Oxford Hotel  (W.Kelly) original hotel, Later extended to the J. Ireland Corner
  • 1930-1950 . Workers. Cash Orders and Finance Company Ltd,Agents Financial
  • 1930-1940 . J. Spiller,Chiropodists.177ok
  • 1938 . Electrolux Pty Ltd, Vacuum Cleaners
  • 1940 . G. A. Lows, Frocks
  • 1940-1950 . R. Graham, Building Supplies


231 Hunter St / 179 Hunter St Newcastle, Bank Chambers
  • 1880 . P.E. Nerv, Fancy Goods
  • 1890 . G.W. Mulvey, Basket Manufacturing
  • 1909-1950 . Fredrick. W. Krempin, Nursery, seedman, plant seedlings and seed
  • Currently:  The Flying Tiger cafe.


233 Hunter St / 181 Hunter St Newcastle

  • 1880 . E. Lewis & Co, Drapers
  • 1909 . M.J. McKensey, Baker,  181 Hunter St
  • 1909-1920 . D.R. Bryant, Sadler
  • 1930 . vacant shop.
  • 1938-1950 . Domestic Machinery Company, bicycle manufacturing, Sewing Machines.
  • Currently: it.s City Bakehouse, Bakery/Pie shop.
  • Property Owner: DRIMA PTY LTD 2303


235  Hunter St / 183 Hunter St Newcastle

  • 1880-1909 . J. Ireland, Wholesale Grocer & Product Merchant
  • 1920-1938 . Hewit Bros, Hardware Merchants
  • 1930 . C.B.Lusk & Co, Tennis Rep Specialists
  • 1938-1950 . Peter Pan, Childrens Outfitters.
  • 1938-1950 . Rockmans, Frocks
  • 1938 . D. Berg, Carpets & Furniture
  • Currently: . The Silver Castle
  • Property Owner:V LIM & D M LIM 2300



The Lucky Country Hotel (Photo Sharn Harrison)

237-245 Cnr Hunter St / 183 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1870-1920 the site was occupied by Jesse Ireland, significant Produce Merchants
  • 1878 . The Bank Hotel
  • 1896 . Peter Doyle.s Corner
  • 1925 -1950  The Oxford Hotel  The original Oxford Hotel
  • 1977 . The Tower Tavern   ..
  • 1980 . The Lucky Country Hotel  ...
  • 1880 . Oxford Hotel, (near to the A.A. Company.s Bridge) George Galley, Having secured the above commodious HOTEL, lately occupied by Mr. F.Edwards, which has been THOROUGHLY RENOVATED and FURNISHED, is prepared to receive Visitors, Boarders, and Families, where they will find all the comforts of a home, CHARGES STRICTLY MODERATE. Nothing but the BEST OF LIQUORS kept, GOOD STABLING.
  • The proprietor wishes it to be distinctly understood that his Hotel has nothing to do with the Hotel called .Galley.s Hotel,. corner of Hunter and Newcomen streets.
  • 1886-1920 J Ireland Ltd, Importers & General Merchants
  • 1930-1938 . H.A. Barraclough Ltd, Opticians
  • 1938 . B.M. Wainwright, Optician
  • 1930-1950 . E.A. Eggleston, Newcastle Flower Shop, Florist.
  • Currently: . The Lucky Country Hotel. Corner of Hunter Street. Hotel established c1925 as The Oxford Hotel (1930-H.M. Stevens, 1940-J. Laskie), renamed the Tower Tavern c 1977 and The Lucky Country Hotel c1980.s. The Bank Hotel  formerly stood in Hunter street, Newcastle, on the site now occupied by the Oxford Hotel.
  • For more information regarding the Lucky Country Hotel
  • Property Owner:NUOVE CASTELLI PTY LIMITED 2309




Crown St Tram Stop

241 Hunter St  Newcastle
  • 1920 . Frederick Krempin, Seedsman
  • 1930 . Treasure Trove, Grocers
  • 1938-1950 . Niagara Cafe Number 2, Refreshment Rooms
  • Note: The shops were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished


243 Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1950 The Noted Hat Shop, Milliner Mercer
  • 1920 . Ted L. Milford, Hairdresser & Tobacconist
  • Note: The shops were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished



The Oxford Hotel
245 Cnr Hunter St Newcastle
  • 1938 The Oxford Hotel extended from 237 Hunter to 245.

In 1920, HUNTER ST ENDED HERE, THE WEST END 1909 Numbering STARTS.  END of the pre 1909 numbering system here. START of Blane St to the West

<<< Crossing over Brown St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
South side of Hunter St, Brown to Crown St Block

NOTE: removal of the AA Company.s rail bridge over Hunter Street in 1921, this opened up Hunter St to the West as far up as Cockle Creek.


AA Company.s rail bridge over Hunter Street in 1921 (Photo Uni)

247 Hunter St Newcastle,
  • 1880-1921 . J. Ireland Ltd, Seed Merchant the Bargain Arcade. Narrow triangle block west of Crown St
  • 1930-1938 . Kelly.s Korners Ltd, Service Station, Triangle Service Station
  • 1938 . G.O. Winton, Fruiterer
  • 1938 . Bargain Arcade Pty Ltd, Shop1

249  Hunter St Newcastle, Warrah House, Built 1935
  • 1880 . A.A. Company Rail Line Bridge
  • 1921 - Angus & Coot Jewellers
  • 1938 . Bargain Arcade Pty Ltd, Shop2
  • 1950-1986 . The Tatler News Theatrette . Later: The Roma Theatre.
  • 1950 . Pretty Things, Children.s Outfitters
  • 1950 . Edwards Book Store, Bookseller 
  • 2000 . Frontline Hobbies, Toy and Hobbies shop
  • Currently: it.s a Vacant Shop
  • Note: The shops & Warrah House, were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished in 1921
  • Property Owner:GREEK COMMUNITY OF NEWCASTLE LTD 2303


Start of the Hunter St West Numbering System used around 1909

251 Hunter St /
01 Hunter St West 
Newcastle, 1880 . A.A. Company Rail Line Bridge
  • 1909 . W.H. Roberts, Watchmaker 01 Hunter St
  • 1920 . Feltham & McLeod, Jewelry, watches, silverware
  • 1935 . Warrah House, was Built
  • 1938-1940 . Browns Manchester Store.s Pty Ltd, Drapers
  • 2000 . Frontline Hobbies, Toy and Hobbies shop
  • Note: Warrah House and the stores were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished in 1921


253 Hunter St / 03 Hunter St West  Newcastle,  1880 . A.A. Company Rail Line Bridge
  • 1909-1920 . George Feltham & Co, Jewelry, musical instruments, importers, &c
  • 1920 . Mrs A. Burrell, Confectionary
  • 1935 . Warrah House, was Built 1935
  • 1938 . Coo-ee Clothing Ltd, Outfitters
  • 1950 Dianne Frock Shoppe.
  • 2000 . Frontline Hobbies, Toy and Hobbies shop
  • Note: Warrah House and the stores were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished in 1921


255 Hunter St / 05 Hunter St West  Newcastle, 1880 . A.A. Company Rail Line Bridge
  • 1909 . Mrs Margret Davies, Confectionery
  • 1920 . Bridge, French Dry Cleaners
  • 1935 . Warrah House Was Built
  • 2000 . Frontline Hobbies, Toy and Hobbies shop
  • Note: Warrah House and the stores were built after the AA Company Rail Bridge was demolished in 1921


257  Hunter St / 07 Hunter St West Newcastle,  (in 1909 it was 07 Hunter St)

  • 1880 . T. Thompson, Grocer
  • 1909 . Henry Birkett, Tailor
  • 1920 . Miss J. Duncan, Milliner
  • 1930-1938 . Walter Neve Pty Ltd, Furniture Manufacturer & Undertakers
  • 1940 . Fostars Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store
  • 1940 . Cox Bros, Drapers
  • 1950 . The Commonwealth Bank of Australia
  • & Hustlers  &.
  • 1986 . Ray Baartz Sports Store.
  • Currently. Frontline Hobbies Toy and Hobbies shop  11


259 Hunter St / 09 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1880 . A. McNeil. Milliner
  • 1909 . Mrs Janet Hunter, Milliner
  • 1909-1920 . Frederick G. Croft, Bookseller
  • 1909-1920 . Frederick G. Duncan . Bookseller
  • 1930-1938 . Walter Neve Pty Ltd, Furniture Manufacturer & Undertakers
  • 1950 . Cox Brothers, Furniture
  • 1986 it was the other half of Ray Baartz Sports Store  ..
  • Currently: . Frontline Hobbies Toy and Hobbies shop 13
  • Property Owner:M POLITIS & N POLITIS 2303


261-263 Hunter St / 11 Hunter St West  Newcastle, (in 1909 it was 11 Hunter St)
  • 1880 . T.M. Raysmith
  • 1909 . Frederick G. Croft, Bookseller
  • 1920 . D.L. Thalberg & Son, live wire of Jewelers
  • 1932-1940 . Fostars Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe & Boot store
  • 1986 . Camera House
  • Currently: from 1986 . Camera House


265 Hunter St / 13 Hunter St West Newcastle,
  • 1880 . W.A. Hewit, Variety Arcade
  • 1909 . Miss A. Fearnley, Milline
  • 1920 . D.L. Thalberg & Son, live wire of Jewelers
  • 1930 . Vacant Shop
  • 1938 . R.S. Goldie. Stationer & Newsagent
  • 1938-1940 . Percy G. Pidgeon, Stationer & Newsagent
  • 1938 . C. Jennings, Hairdresser
  • 1950 . Jack & Sons, fruiterer
  • Currently: - Surtaj Indian Restaurant  

267 Hunter St / 15 Hunter St West   Newcastle,
  • 1880 . W. Brunton, Stationer
  • 1909-1930 . David L. Thalberg & Son, Clothier
  • 1930 . Gee.s Millinery Salon 
  • 1930 . Invisible Mending Stocking Co
  • 1932 . Leo McMaugh, Dentist
  • 1938 . T.J. Phillips, Jeweller
  • 1986 . Cindys, Clothing
  • Currently: . Saigon Feast   


269 Hunter St / 17 Hunter St West  Newcastle, The Corona Building,

  • 1909 . Thomas M. Stapleton, Wine Shop
  • 1920 . W.J. Cook, Smallgoods
  • 1930 . Bridge Dryers & Cleaners
  • 1938 . Raybould, Children.s Clothing
  • 1938 . McKenzie.s, Mercers
  • 1986 . S&W Miller, Electrical appliances
  • Currently: . Ruby Rhubarb women.s clothing  
  • Property Owner:M J BORRELLI & R S BORRELLI  2291


271  Hunter St / 19 Hunter St West  Newcastle, The Corona Building,
  • 1909-1920 . James F. Cook, Ham Shop
  • 1920 . Ken A. Penny, Clothier
  • 1930-1938 . Donald Sutherland, Hatter & Mercer
  • 1938 . John Paynter, Hardware & Paint Merchants shop1
  • 1986 . Cindys
  • Currentlyit is the other half of Newcastle French Bread House



Nick & Jim Gerakiteys At the The Corona Cafe
273 Hunter St / 21 Hunter St West  Newcastle, The Corona Building built 1935,
  • 1909 . William H. Lathlean, Clothier
  • 1909 . Alex Rae
  • 1920-1930 Way.s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
  • 1935 . The Corona Building was built by the AAC.
  • 1938 . John Paynter, Hardware & Paint Merchants shop 2
  • 1964 . The Corona Cafe, proprietor was Nick Gerakiteys. Note: in 1948, Nick & Jim Gerakiteys. Nick & Jim's Father, introduced Chocolate Coated ice creams  that are now sold in most picture theatres.
  • 1986 . Sussan, womens clothes
  • Currentlyit is the other half of Newcastle French Bread House


275-277 Hunter St / 23 Hunter St West  Newcastle, The Corona Building 1935,
  • 1909 . Edward Newton, Herbalist
  • 1920-1938 . New York Shoe Store 1
  • 1935 . The Corona Building was built by the AAC.
  • 1940 . Sergeants, Milk Bar
  • 1938-1950 Cash Orders.
  • 1938-1950 . R.H.Stewart. Chemist
  • 1950 Jaroslav and Clare Novak, Novac Camera Company. Jaroslav and Clare Novak took over the photographic business of C T Lorenz in the late 1950s, having arrived from South Africa and the worked for that business in the early 1950s.
  • 1950 . Amalgamated Loans Ltd,  Agents Financial
  • Currently:  . HUB Advisory Group 


275a Hunter St / 25 Hunter St West Newcastle, The Corona Building,
  • 1897 - Hotel 1909 . William H. Lathlean, Clothier
  • 1920-1938 . New York Shoe Store 2
  • 1935 . The Corona Building was built by the AAC.
  • Currently:  . Legal Agents  



Tom H. Ingall & Lynch, Milliners 1898

277 Hunter St / 27 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1898-1909 . Tom H. Ingall & Lynch, Milliners shop1
  • 1938 . Sargents Newcastle Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
  • Currently:  . The Good Property Company For passionate property management in Newcastle


279 Hunter St / 29 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1898-1909 . Tom H. Ingall & Lynch, Milliners shop2
  • 1909 . William Draper, Boot Dealer
  • 1920-1930 . Thomas C. Hoffman, Cycle & Motor Dealer.
  • 1938 . Elite, Ladies Outfitter
  • 1938 . Chequers Robes, Frocks  
  • 1986 . South Pacific Duty Free Shop Currently:  . wak-the-salon


281 Hunter St / 31 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1909-1930 . Alf E. Vesper, Dentist
  • 1932-1938 . Hygienic Fish Supply
  • 1938 . Bruce Small Pty Ltd, Cycle Agents
  • 1957. Rayfords, Records, Hifi  
  • Currently:  . Newcastle Coins


283 Hunter St / 33 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1909-1938 Frank Luckham, Photographer 
  • 1938-1950 . J.C. Morris,Boot and Shoe retailers. Currently:  . Vacant Store


285-289 Hunter St / 35 Hunter St West  Newcastle,

  • 1909-1950 - Sorby.s Pty. Ltd, Ironmongers, Hardware.  
  • 1966 - Jays Travel, moved from its longtime Scott Street home to new premises
  • 2012 -. Streets Real Estate  and other various tenants.
  • Currently: - Max Employment Streets Real Estate, and other tenants, Hot Yoga,                       ok35  ok285  
  • Further Info on Jays Travel 
  • Property Owner: ITHACA COLD STORAGE PTY LIMITED 2300


291-293 Hunter St / 37 Hunter St West  Newcastle,
  • 1839-1947 . Reg A Baker Newcastle.s Leading Sports Store, Astor Car Radios. Immediate delivery and installation.