History of the Old Greek Cafe's of Newcastle CBD
George Davias and Staff at The Beach Fish Cafe
39 Hunter Street Newcastle East, around the 1940's
If you would like to further contribute to this article,
I welcome new information, just drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
"There is hardly an Australian with memories of the first 60 years of the 20th century who would not also have memories of the Greek cafe, milk bar, oyster saloon or refreshment rooms. They were to be found in just about every block in most city's and most country towns. Rather than introducing Greek foods, cafe owners quickly learned to prepare Australian meals.
Early decor was often in the Classic style with timber panelling, padded booths, marble-topped tables and bentwood chairs, back-bar fittings of carved timber and mirrors, gleaming soda fountains and confectionery counters. The dark interiors were a cool oasis in the heat of summer."
Old Map of some of the cafe's in the inner city of Newcastle...
Click on the picture below to enlarge (updated 26/03/2012)
EARLY CAFE'S AND THEIR PROPRIETORS
Where can we start? ....
From the old memory cells and with the help of a few people, let's put together a story of the history of the Old Newcastle cafe scene....
As a descendant of the Old Newcastle Cafe Scene and having grown up in the Newcastle East end of town in Telford Street which intersected with the original beginning of Hunter Street, which is now Pacific Park... I think that we may as well kick off here......
Beginning at the intersection of Telford Street and continuing west along Hunter Street....Starting at number 1 Hunter Street
|California Cafe on the corner and others (now all demolished)|
1 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1930 - The California Cafe. It moved there when it closed down its operation at 147 to 149 Hunter St Newcastle (4 doors from Wolf St) in 1930, to make way for the building and opening on July the 30th 1936 of the new Selfridges Department store and relocated up to number 1 corner of Hunter and Telford Streets ....
- 1940, the proprietors of The California Cafe where Arthur Sikiotis and Paul (Polydoros) Paxinos. both originally from Stavros on the Island of Ithaca, Greece.
- 1926 it was known as The Wattle Cafe.
- Note : the building was demolished in the late 1970’s, to make way for the extended Pacific Park.
2 Hunter Street Newcastle
- The Vienna Coffee Lounge. Over the road from the California and on the corner of Hunter and Telford Streets. It has been reported that the Vienna was opened by business man Kurt Picardi.
- 1958 - it was totally renovated by the new owner Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas who was also known by his stage name Valentino or Rudy, just after his return from a stint in Hollywood. (see story below)
- 1930 it was listed as Vacant
- Currently : it's the site of the extension of Pacific Park
4 Hunter Street, Newcastle
- 1940 - The Shortland Cafe.
- 1929 - The Canberra Cafe
- 1950 - Morris Cafe
- Currently : it's the site of the extension of Pacific Park
6 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1950 - The original Shipmates, was born in January, A couple of shops down the road from The Vienna. It was the brainchild of the pioneer restaurateur Clem Ashford, a tattooed adventurer who returned from the South Seas in 1975 to shake up the local food scene. As well as having some of the best chips and hamburgers in Newcastle.
- Notes : Clem also opened up two other shops right across the road. They were Shipmates "Dairy Delight" a milkshake shop and Shipmates "Sugar & Spice a donuts and hamburger shop. Clem was a we bit ahead of his time. Even though Clem was not a Greek as such, he was a great operator....
- Clem Ashford later also created Clams, a landmark seafood restaurant at Merewether.
- 1950 it was MacNeill's, Milk Bar
- 1940 it was ML Frith, Confectioners
- Currently : the building has been demolished, it is now Pacific Park
- For further fascinating stories on Clem Ashford
7 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1877 - The Australian Cafe . As advertised in the Newcastle Herald in 1878 "WANTED a useful Man, for kitchen, apply The Australian Cafe, 7 Hunter-street"
- Notes : 1889 Australian Cafe - Luncheon, Grill and Supper Rooms, 7 Hunter street, opposite Telegraph Office. The Dining Room is now open. Grills to order. Tea and coffee always ready. Meals 1 shilling
- 1950 - MacNeill's Cafe,
- 1940 - Blake's Book Shop.
- 1930- T.P. Ryan, Tailor
The Kosciusko Cafe
15-17 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1942 was The Kosciusko Cafe, It was owned by Basil Stavros (Stavrianopoulos) and John Rafty who were partner proprietors. The partnership was dissolved on the 31st Oct 1945, Basil Stavros stayed on as proprietor. John Rafty (Ioannis Raftopoulos) from 36 Colette Street Cooks Hill arrived in Australia from Kioni, Ithaca, Greece in 1939.
- Later: The The Kosciusko Cafe was passed on to Basil's Son, Chris Stavros (Stavrianopoulos)
- 1940 It was The Beach Milk Bar
Hunter Street, Next to the Kosciusko was the eastern top part of Pacific Park which wound its way up to the Royal Newcastle Hospital.
16 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1950 - The Pacific Cafe, which was directly across the road from the Kosciuszko. The Pacific was operated by Chris Sofianos and Stan Tsohadsis, both from the island of Lesvos, Greece, who were Cousins and proprietors.
- In 1930 it is listed as Vacant
- Currently : All previous mentioned cafes and buildings in this particular block, were Demolished in the late 1970's to make way for the new Pacific Park.
- Notes : Back in the 60's and 70's, This particular block of shops in Hunter St between Telford and Pacific Street, (now demolished) was the most popular part of Town, A late Saturday night Hamburger was just the thing after a big night out !!
The Moccadore Cafe, Vogue cafe, Beach Fish Cafe (photo Newcastle Library)
<<<<< Crossing over Pacific St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>>
19 Hunter St / 33 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1940 - The Moccadore Cafe and milk bar, owned in 1947 by Denes Koutsouvelis.
- Located next block west along Hunter St and crossing over Pacific Street into the old Nurses home block and on the corner of Hunter and Pacific Streets.
- Notes : from Trove "Denes, was born on the Greek island of Ithaca. He was only 16 when he left home in a sailing ship bound for America. The ship called at Newcastle, and Mr. Denes decided to stay." He owned The Moccadore Cafe right up to the time of his death. This was one of many cafe's located on the ground floor of the 'Nurses Home' now Essington Apartments
- 1930 it was known as Denes & Denes, Refreshment Rooms
- Currently : The location is now known as Moor Cafe and previously in 2014 it was The Bogie Hole Cafe.
23 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1930 - Palais De luxe Refreshment Rooms
- 1947 - The Vogue Cafe, the proprietors were Alexander Zeppos from 58 Church St. and Peter Sourlos It had its own bakery upstairs.
- 1941 It was known as Peters better cakes. its proprietors then were Peter Sourlos, and Alexander Zeppos.In 1940 It was The Hortons Tea Rooms
- 1930 It was also known as the Greek Club
27 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1947 - The Paragon Cafe purchased by John Raftos and his brother Nick Raftos, The Cafe was sold a few years later.
- Notes : As advertised in the Newcastle Herald in 1947 "The New, Modern "Paragon Cafe" (50 yards from T. & G. Building, in Hunter-st.) We specialise in grills, salads, fish meals, and all kinds of toasted sandwiches",
- 1921 it was known as The Oxford Cafe, Phone B1980
- 1944 - The Beach Fish Cafe, proprietors were My Father George Davias and Agapitos Montiadis, (James George Morris) as partners.. James Morris was the father of our local Politicians, Peter Morris and Allan (Agapitos) Morris that later, where elected as federal members of parliament. The Beach Fish Cafe was also contracted to supply all meals to the nearby Jail Cells at Newcastle Police Station in Hunter St..
- I remember walking down to Dad's shop to watch the Queen drive past in February 1954
- Notes :The cafe, along with the other shops in the same block, were all demolished in 1957 to make way for the building of the Royal Newcastle Hospital Nurses Home.
- Notes :After the demolition and the rebuild of the new nurses home, the shops where handed back to the previous owners, but unfortunately the new Beach Fish Cafe turned out to be about a tenth of its original size which made it unsuitable as the cafe it used to be. James Morris took over the lease and used the space, trading as a Health food shop until he later moved the business to Hamilton..
- 1898 - Kelly's Book Depot, a Book Store
- 1899 - R.L. Morrisby & Co, a Tailor
- 1913 - Eggleston's Lovely Bouquets, a Bouquets business
- 1930 - W. H. Waters, Hairdresser
- 1930 - Newcastle Sports Club
- Currently : - Rosina's Italian Restaurant and Pizza, located in the old nurses home, now converted into the Essington Apartments, with shops below.
41 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1930 it was JW Thomas, Butcher
- 1940-1950 it was R.H.Robertson, Butchers & Carcass.
- 1950 - Fruit Shop owned by brothers John and George Lekatsas (Lucas). and at one stage owned by Basilis Tsolakis. Phone 354.
- 1955, it was purchased by Reg Lazarus. who continued to run the Fruit Shop up and until its demolition in 1957. After the construction phase, Reg took back and reopened his shop.
43-47 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1930 - Scottish House,
- 1904 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe, As Advertised, The Cosmopolitan Cafe will be opened on the 3rd September 1904 when a splendid Band will perform a choice selection of music. The whole of the day's takings will be given to the Newcastle Hospital, Zograf Hresto, Proprietor. James Cofteros, Manager,
- Previously : during 1890 it was The Great City Oyster Saloon. Proprietor, Zograf Hresto applied for a wine licence on the premises. It was finally granted.
- Notes :As advertised in 1904, "Mr. Zograf Hresto desires to inform the public that he has made extensive alterations and improvements In the premises lately known as the GRAND CITY OYSTER SALOON, which has been considerably enlarged both upstairs and down, and altered into a Modern Cafe, with Spacious, Ladies Room and all conveyances under the name of the "Cosmopolitan Cafe" which was situated next door to Washington H. Soul's. Tel 354
- Zograff Hresto passed away around 1905 and the premise auctioned.
- Later: in April 1905,, it was taken over by proprietors, Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes.
- Notes :As advertised in the Herald 1905, "THE COSMOPOLITAN CAFE, 41 HUNTER-ST., NEWCASTLE. Now Open under New Management."DENES & DENES having taken over the above well-known Cafe, hope to merit a fair share of patronage by providing FIRST-CLASS MEALS at MODERATE CHARGES, and catering generally,for the comfort of the public at large. fresh Fish and Oysters. Daily. Suppers Supplied. All the furnishings are elaborate and up to date. DENES and DENES, Proprietors"
- Then around 1922, it had a change of proprietors to the Rafty Brothers...
- 1950 it was also Cromarty & Turner who were Accountants.
- 1940 it was Clue Ribbon, Refreshment Rooms
- Currently: The old buildings were demolished to make way for The T&G Building.
43 Hunter Street, The Grand City Oyster Saloon (1891 photo: Snowball)
<<< Crossing over Watt St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
61 Hunter St / 11 Hunter St, St Newcastle,
- 1940-1950 - The Coffee Inn, (next to the Westminster Hotel and right opposite the old Newcastle Police Station and Post Office) the proprietor was Nicholas Scott .
- 1970 - it was refurbished and reopened as a Cafe that became Hungry Johns Cafe owned by John Argiris.Later: Hungry Johns Cafe was purchased by Nick Raftos, who moved the business into his own premises, The Westminster Hotel situated next door.Way back on the 19th Nov 1890 as advertised "The Coolest Dining Rooms in the Northern District, are Fred Chambers' ( late Mr. Lashmore ), opposite the Police Station, Hunter-street. Ladies'Dining upstairs, where you can dine in comfort."
- 1909 - L. Davies, Pastry Cook
- 1900 - The City Restaurant.
- 1930 - P.C. Rudge & Co, Tailors
- Currently: it's a Vacant Shop
67 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1891 - The American Bar Cafe. As advertised "Wanted good General SERVANT, must be able to cook. Apply Mrs. WoodLoo, American Bar, 67 Hunter-st"
- Currently: - AA Brothers - Computer Parts & Equipment in the old Westminster Hotel building.
69-73 Hunter St / 21 Hunter St, Newcastle,
- 1894 Peter Paxinos was Fruiterer, Restaurant & a refreshment room.
- 1930-1940 - The Commonwealth Bank Of Australia
- 1940 - The Motor Traders Insurance Co
- Currently: - Commercial Banking Co of Sydney With various tenants
<<< Crossing over Bolton St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
97 Scott Street Newcastle.
- 1941 - Jerry's Fish Cafe. The proprietors were Gerasimus Grivas (Jerry) and Charlie Roussos.
- 1926 - The Railway Cafe, which was opposite the old Newcastle Railway Station, and right next door to the now demolished, George Hotel and just up the road from The Great Northern Hotel.
- Notes : The George Hotel is where John Argiris had a temporary cafe on the ground floor, near the entrance to the hotel around the 1970's .
143 Scott Street Newcastle.
- 1944 The Monterey Tea Rooms owned by Con Rolf.
- Down further was also a Milk Bar / Fruit shop owned by Telemahos Paizis
- Previously : in 1940 It was at 113 Scott Street
"Jerry's Fish Cafe" Scott Street (photo by University of Newcastle) plus The George and The Great Northern Hotels.
Scott Street Newcastle note the Three large hotels opposite the Newcastle Railway station.
- Great Northern
- The George
- Terminus Hotel
121a King St Newcastle
- 1943 - Omonia Club, The proprietor was Stanley (Stathis) Leventis, he also formed the club in 1929 in Scott St, He arrived from Ithaca around 1909 and then residing at 310 Darby St. Con Scanos was proprietor during 1954. During September in the same year, Stanley (Stathis) Leventis, passed away at the Mater Hospital in 1954
- Notes : The Omonia was also the name of the Greek Brotherhood
- Previously : In 1929 It was located in Scott Street.
13a Wolf Street Newcastle
- 1949 - Central Greek Club. It was located where the old David Jones store was in Wolf St and near the corner where the telephone exchange is still located.
81 Hunter St Newcastle.
- 1957 - The Brazil Coffee Lounge. Around 1957 John Raftos bought the fruit shop from George Lucas and transformed it into The Brazil Coffee Lounge which was a small narrow shop but became very popular and upmarket so when the opportunity came with the closing of the pharmacy next door which had a shared frontage and was virtually one shop divided in two, John spread the shop over both stores and created one larger space. About 1970 or 71 after purchasing the building, John, renovated extensively upstairs and opened the Brazil 81 Restaurant with piano bar and dancing. It became very popular with special events, functions and celebrations. there were separate bar areas on the 1st floor. The ground floor was a Cafe, The Brazil Coffee Lounge. The building was sold in 1979 to a consortium from Sydney.
- 1947 - Scott's Milk Bar and Fruit Shop. the Proprietor was Mr Nick Scott.Around
- 1954 - Fruit shop owned by George Lekatsas (Lucas) .
- 1930 - Harcourts, Hatters
- 1930 - Jos Kelly, Tailor
- Currently: Hunter 81 Boutique
82 Hunter Street Newcastle
- 1916 - Victoria Cafe, it was located next door to Palling & Co at 78-80 Hunter St. Phone 531.
85 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1940 - The Devonshire Coffee Lounge, which was also a cake shop.
- Notes : As the Newcastle Herald reported... "We have turned away about four times ,as many people as we have served," said the Manageress of the Devonshire Coffee Lounge." I have never seen such a rush; there has been nothing left for hours. We have done a roaring trade in buttered scones and pikelets. We can't get enough to cope with the demand."Later: in the 1970's it was taken over by Nick Raftos who completely renovated the site and opened the gift store 'Dimity's Cards and Party Shop'
- 1930 - W.F. Hutchinson, Dentist
- 1930 - Maisonette, Hairdresser
- Currently: A Vacant Store
89 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1920 - George Paxinos, Refreshment Rooms & Confectionery.
Toni's Cafe (Photo by Matthew Ward)
93 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1947 - The Treasury Cafe. The proprietors were Theo Milas and Con Zavitsanos who was also born on Ithaca Greece and in 1945 resided at 6 Perkins St. The Treasury Cafe was still trading up to 1952. Located midway between Bolton and Newcommon Streets. Phone B1964
- 1940 it was called Toni's Cafe which was opened by proprietor, Michael Shannos. There was a kitchen on the top story and dining rooms on the first and ground floors.
- Previously : it was a wine bar called, “The Wine Bar” 1943 known as Toni's Fish Cafe.
- Notes : Toni's was advertising... "Fishermen, Please Note. Best prices for Jewfish and Schnapper given at "Toni's. 93 Hunter st Newcastle" phone B1964
- 1920 - Denes & Denes, Restaurant
93a Hunter St / 41 Hunter St, Newcastle,
- 1909 - Peter Hresto, Oyster Salon
- 1930 - Sophianos & Leventis, Cafe
- 1936 - The Cosmopolitan Cafe, the proprietors where Babis Bonis and Andrew Kulidas.
- 1940 - San Toy Cafe
97 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1970's - The Continental Cafe owned by John (Yianko) Rafty
- Later: The proprietor was George Rafty
- 1930 it was Sam Barnett, Tobacco Merchant.it was also Newcastle Standard Laundry Ltd and possibly the 1st floor was GS Cole, Dentist and O'Sullivan, Tailor
- Currently: it's a clothing store, now vacant
100 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1940 it was Sargent's Newcastle Ltd, Restaurant
101 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1940 - The Matara Gourmet Bar. It was located on the east corner of Hunter & Newcomen St, It was owned by John (Yianko) Rafty
- 1960 and above the Matara Bar was Shindig Village NightClub. It was operated by Phil & Jenny Clarke who also owned Pumpkins Boutique.Way back there was also a shop Harrey's Bag Store
- In 1876 it was Galley's Family Hotel (George Galley)Currently: it's a Vacant Store
9 Newcomen Street Newcastle,
- 1920 - The Myola Cafe on the 3 May 1920. it was located on the corner Newcomen St and the City Arcade.
- 1942 it became Arthur's Fish Shop. The proprietor was Michael Magripilis and still there by 1947.
- 1965 There were further owners over the years, George Roussos Bought the cafe from Jerry Comminos.
17a Newcomen Street Newcastle,
- 1920 - The Australian Cafe it appears to be behind The Matara Bar.
<<< Crossing over Newcomen St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
The Astoria Cafe with Jerry Kolivas
The Astoria Cafe (photo Newcastle Library)
103A Hunter Street Newcastle
- 1925 The Astoria Café, (also known as The Astoria Sundae Parlor) "Cafe and Sundae Parlors" Opened on the 29th July 1925 by Mr. and Mrs. H. P. Brett who where the original proprietors of the Astoria.
- During 1943 it was taken over by proprietors, Jerry Kolivas, (who was also Manager) Michael Shannos, and Chris Stelianos.
- Notes : On Christmas Eve 1942, The Astoria advertised in the Newcastle Herald "that it would be closing on Sundays as there was a shortage of high quality foodstuffs to go around the full week. This action is taken In order that the same High Standard of Quality and Efficient Service that the "Astoria" Is noted for, might he maintained throughout the week days to our numerous regular Patrons."
- Notes : By December 1943, The Astoria also advertised "that it would be closing at 7.30pm every night, due to the rationing of foodstuffs, and power problems, etc."
- In January 1946 The Astoria announced that it just reopened after an extensive renovation.
- The Astoria was located 2nd from the corner on Hunter St and west from Newcomen Street. Phone B3026. The Astoria was still trading up and until Nov 1954. Phone B3026
- Currently: Today it is the site of The Ground Floor Cafe and previous to that it was Gloria Jeans Coffee Shop.
The Astoria Cafe
107 Hunter St Newcastle,
1940 it was The Dell Cafe.
109 Hunter St Newcastle, in 1940 it was The Illoura Cafe.
112 - 114 Hunter St (34 Hunter St) (1920 former 76) Hunter St Newcastle, Built Jan 26
- 1888 -The Centennial Hotel (SV Brain) The bar of this hotel extended from Scott St to Hunter St. From what I've heard through a friend of Terry Brain, it was the longest bar in Australia.
- 1898 - The Niagara Cafe. After he left Vlahokerasia, Greece bound for the USA, Angelo Bourtzos, around 1898 and before the turn of the century. he traveled from the USA to Australia, eventually settling in Newcastle and opening the Niagara Cafe in 1898. It was located further up town, on the North side of the street and virtually opposite The Brazil Cafe. It appears to have been located in the old The Centennial Hotel site, which was opened in 1888... In 1912 it was taken over by Brothers Michael and Theo Karanges (who was Bourtzos godson) Theo stayed on to take over the business when Bourtzos died, while Michael Peter Karanges opened up his own Niagara Cafe a few miles away in the Newcastle suburb of Hamilton... Around 1920 George Peter Kostakes and Michael Karanges became partners. By 1926 they had incorporated with George Peter Kostakes and Mr. P.Karanges as First directors... Con and Nick Karanges arrived from Vlahokerasia, Greece around November 1936 and worked for their Uncle Michael Karanges. It was here at the Niagara that Nick met his wife to be Olive May Watts.. Con and Nick Karanges worked, saved and bought their own cafe's, In 1942, Con bought The Embassy Cafe at 303 Hunter Street, whilst Nick Karanges bought the Central Cafe at 50 Belford St Broadmeadow opposite the Century Theatre.
- In 1951 George Peter Kostakes, Passed away. He died in the Royal Newcastle Hospital yesterday, aged 60. He lived at 13 Anzac Parade Newcastle which later became the Nick Gerakiteys household.
- The Niagara cafe also in the 1940's owned a cake and sweets factory in Bull-street, Cook’s Hill which was sold in 1952. See more of the story below.
Nick Karanges at the Central Cafe Broadmeadow
Con worked at the Embassy till he retired in 1976. Around 1938 George Velissaris arrived from Greece and began working for his uncle Michael Karanges at the Niagara. Around 1946 George Velissaris bought out his brother Michael and ran the business himself. Around 1954 brothers George and Nick Velissaris bought the Station Cafe in Campsie Sydney and moved there with the family. In 1940, Steve Gounis arrived from Greece to work in the Niagara Cafe. John Scoufis, from the same village, also came to Australia to work in the Niagara but unlike the others he settled in Sydney. Scoufis bought and ran the Central Inn Cafe in Railway Square, Sydney in 1933 Phone 654.
In 1935 The Niagara Cafe was advertising "The best place to eat and drink and the new 4d milk bar service. Excellent chocolates and cakes"
Currently: Today it is the site of The CML building.
Market Street, Around the corner of Hunter st, in Market Street was Basil's Cafe. the proprietor was Peter Kotteakos.
Basil's Cafe (photo by the late Percy Sternbeck 1986)
Previously : in 1916 was the Lyric Cafe, was opened by Paxinos and Zervos. By January 1920 the proprietors were Zervos & Raftos. On the 4th October 1926 all fixtures and fittings were auctioned..
Currently: its Jays Travel in the Hunter St Mall
<<< Crossing over Morgan St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
1940-1950 it was Hunter The Stationer, Bookseller Stationer.
115 Hunter St Newcastle, 1930 - Payzis Brothers, Fruiterers
Currently: it's The Lair Ladies' Fashion.
1914 - Payzis Brothers, a Confectionery shop Located opposite Rundles
1921- The No. 2 Astoria Cafe. Proprietors were Michael Shannos & Speros Benas. it was a Confectionery shop
Notes : "NEWCASTLE'S LEADING CONFECTIONERY IMPORTERS.
Shipments Landing Weekly from all the best English & Continental Makers.
We claim these Lines are the Best Procurable. Unexcelled for Flavour,
PURITY GUARANTEED. All Pascall's Toffoc in Sixpenny and Shilling Tins.
The Best Chewing.Gum on the Market is CHICLETS,"A Dainty, Wholesome, and Healthful Confection.Lawney's American Chocolates. Cadbury Chocolates always in Stock"
1995 - Caldwell the Jeweler.
1940 - Fostars Shoes Pty Ltd. Shoe store
Currently: - Studio Melt a Contemporary Jewellery
1916-1920 - Ways, Ltd, The Victoria Cafe, Tel 531.
128 Hunter St Newcastle, in 1940 was Breckenridge's Blue Room Cafe
120 Hunter St / 40 Hunter St / 82 Hunter St, Newcastle,
138 Hunter St / 56 Hunter St / 98 Hunter St, Newcastle 1909 - Carl Macree, Oyster Saloon
1926 - The No. 2 Astoria Cafe. Proprietors were Michael Shannos & Speros Benas.
Notes : As Advertised by Newcastle Morning Herald Saturday 28 August 1926 "NEWCASTLE BUILDING Acting under instructions from the beneficiaries of the estate of the late Mr. A. A. Tighe, Messrs. F. G. and A. C. Castleden, architects, have prepared planus for at four-storey building on the Hunter, Perkin, and Scott streets corner site. The premises at present occupying the site, and which are to be pulled down are occupied by the shops of Messrs. Firkin, Davis, Bernard, and Shannos. The new building, which will be of reinforced concrete, will have plate glass windows on the Hunter and Perkin streets frontages. and there will also be one plate glass window on the return frontage in Scott street. All of the ground floor, with the exception of one shop, will be leased by Mr. D. Johns, silk merchant. The remaining shop, on the ground floor, will he occupied by Messrs. Shannos and Benos as No. 2 Astoria Cafe. The other floors will be suitable for showrooms and offices, and business and professional purposes." By 1940 the proprietors were Jerry Kolivas and Jerry Cominos by 1941 Chris Stelianos joined as joint proprietor. Around 1947 Spero Benas had moved to Melbourne, and had sold his interest in The Astoria
200-218 Hunter St / 114 Hunter St / 162-168 Hunter St Newcastle,
140 Hunter St / 58 Hunter St / 100 Hunter St, Newcastle,
- 1909 - Payizis & Macree, Fruiterers
141 Hunter St, Refreshment Shop in 1899 Manufacturing Pastrycook and Confectioner
143 Hunter St Newcastle 1948 - The Havana Cafe, the proprietor was John Barlas this was on the corner of Hunter and Thorn Street and just up from the old Strand Theater.
|Lyric Cafe add 1920|
143 Hunter St, 1930 - G. Grivas, Confectionery and Refreshments
<<< Crossing over Thorn St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
Currently: Today it is the site of the old demolished David Jones in Wolf St, soon to be a block of Apartments.
8 Wolf Street, was The Majestic Cafe registered in 1937 as a Proprietary Ltd Company, has been registered, with nominal capital, 5,000 Pounds (The Registration details where that the objects of the company are to carry on the business of cafe and restaurant." proprietors & Directors where Michael Shannos, Nick Scott, Gerry Cominos, of 659 Hunter Street (during 1930) and Chris Pappas. The registered office of the company is at Newcastle. In 1943, Jerry (Gerasimos) Colyvas was staff manager. In 1949 the proprietor was Trevor Paxinos. By 1951 the proprietor was Con Raftos. The Majestic was also one of the Larger Newcastle cafe's at the time.
Currently: it is the Thomas Watchmaker
8 Wolf Street, in 1940 it was Breckenridge Blue Room, Coffee Shop
156-160 Hunter St / 68 Hunter St / 114 Hunter St, Newcastle,
- 1900 - The City Arms Hotel
- 1909 - Demetrus Kerangis, Oyster Saloon
<<< Crossing over Wolf St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
159 Hunter St Newcastle
- 1936 - The Ritz Milk Bar on the corner of Hunter and Wolfe St, Newcastle. In 1943 the proprietor was Michael Shannos, 1947 Theo Rafty was proprietor, by 1948 the Proprietor partners where Peter Scott and John Rafty.
- 1954 the business had expanded to 159A Hunter St.
- Currently: it is the site of where Caldwells the jeweler once stood near DJ's.
162 Hunter St Newcastle
- 1946 - Hotentasty Grill Bar Cafe
<<< Crossing over Perkins St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
Notes : In 1919 Scott's Corner, with its electric clock in the tower, telling the correct time, night and day, was one of the principal land-marks of the city"
Hunter and Perkins St, Corner, In 1893 Speros Paizis opened a cafe , known as "Scotts Corner" (where David Jones once stood), In 1912 he moved around the corner to the Victoria Cafe.
The Victoria Cafe / Milk Bar (photo Newcastle Herald)
6 Perkins St, Originally : in 1892, it was The Temperance Hotel, the owner Mr Wells stands proudly in front of the hotel. As well as accommodation, Mr Wells offered houses and carriages for sales or hire, he was an auctioneer, a mail contractor and a house, land and commission agent. Next door to the Temperance Hotel was the Victoria Theatre. A theatre had stood on this site for some time but in 1890 it was reconstructed to the design of architect James Henderson.
|The Temperance Hotel (photo UonArchi)|
The Victoria Cafe in Perkins St around 1930
1937 it was also known as Scott and Paizis Refreshment Rooms. I'm led to believe that the old Victoria Cafe was one of the largest in the Newcastle scene...
Currently: Vinyl Cafe
1912 it was The Victoria Cafe, which was opened by Speros Payzis. It appears that, for many years, the Victoria Cafe was also a ticket reseller for the Victoria Theatre next door. 1936 the proprietors of The Victoria Cafe were Nick Scott and Speros Payzis and it was known as Scott's Victoria Cafe.
Next to the Victoria Theatre and at 4 Perkins Street (possibly 1st floor on the location of the Victoria Cafe) was the residence of Con Zavitsanos. Con was part owner of the Treasury Cafe, he was also born in Stavros, Ithaca Greece.
Notes : It appears to me that the Crown & Anchor Cafe and Cafe de Paris were the for runner cafes before the Victoria Cafe.
Further along Perkins Street, in 1876 there was the Cafe de Paris, which was located next door to the then called Stuart's Hotel, which later in 1878 became The Crown & Anchor Hotel. By November 1875 it was known as Stuart's Family Hotel. During 1878 The Cafe De Paris changed its name to The Crown & Anchor Cafe.
Newcastle Herald Photo of the Victoria Theatre and the Victoria Cafe on the right.
1940 - Gum Nut Tea Rooms
Currently: Today it is the site of the old demolished David Jones in Wolf St, soon to be a block of Apartments.
11 Perkins St, Newcastle1947 was The Rudy Rico, and opposite the Victoria Theatre, proprietor was Jerry Cominos jnr. Jerry purchased the milk bar "The Rudy Rico" at age 19 years. The cafe was purchased from Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas who was a Hollywood dancer/actor. The Rudy Rico was at the time where the David Jones car park was before it was demolished recently... It was also known at the time as the "Most Modern Hamburger Cafe Shop In Newcastle". Demetrios (Jim) Kolivas was also born on the Island of Ithaca, Greece and in 1929 he resided at 659 Hunter Street. See the story on Demetrios below.
Red Funnel Fisheries (behind Darks Ice Works) a table top truck waits to be loaded in the loading bay
Wharf Road Newcastle,was Red Funnel Fisheries which was Not Involved as a Cafe, but mentioned here due to the association with the supply and distribution of fresh seafood to Newcastle and surrounds as well as different parts of the State and Australia.
Previously : Around the 31st January 1934, the original Sydney based, Red Funnel Fisheries Limited and its Trawlers was placed into Voluntary Liquidation.
On the 1st of August 1935 Red Funnel Fisheries came up for sale so Gerry (Gerassimos) Cominos and Chris Papas bought into the business with a 50% each equal partnership. They left an opening for Nick Papas to to buy into on his return from Greece but he did not take up the offer and was caught in the war and did not return to Australia till 1946. Red Funnel Fisheries was originally located in Wharf Road at the end of the footbridge opposite what used to be David Jones, the other side of the boat mooring and opposite the then Stockton Ferry terminal. It was a freestanding weatherboard building using the freezers from Darks Ice Works next Door.
Later : After 3 years they moved Red Funnel Fisheries from around Market St to the Darks Ice Works building where they leased the new Premises.
By 1937 Peter Cominos, had arrived in Australia and joined his brother Gerry Cominos in the business buy buying a share from each. The partnership then became Gerry Cominos, Nafsica Cominos, Chris Papas, and Peter Cominos.
Later : around 1974, Red Funnel Fisheries, had outgrown its current premises and was looking for a larger space, so it moved out into the nearly new Edgell's building, freezer room's and offices at Kotara, by this stage, it was headed by Arthur Cominos as MD and Chris Sofianos. Red Funnel Fisheries is still operating and located at Kotara today under the leadership of Arthur, Chris and the children.
More information on the history of Red Funnel Fisheries will be available soon on a different post by Red Funnel Management.
Currently: Today it is the site of a block of one of the first office blocks along Wharf Road. it appears that Red Funnel was right opposite the corner of Winns on Brown and Hunter Streets.
Red Funnel Fisheries team (taken around the 1950's)
191 Hunter St Newcastle
- 1907 - Grey's Cafe.
- Currently: on the site of the Crown and Anchor Hotel.
220 Hunter St / 162 Hunter St Newcastle
- 1886 - G. Andreas, Oyster Shop
- 2002 The Commonwealth Bank
<<< Crossing over Brown St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>><<<
<<< Crossing over Crown St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>.
241 Hunter St Newcastle,
- 1940-1950 it was another branch of the Niagara Cafe
279 Hunter Street Newcastle,
- 1964 - The Corona Cafe the proprietor was Nick Gerakiteys. It was located about 2 doors down from the old Tatler theatre.
- Currently : it is the site of the Toys and Hobbies.
303 Hunter St / 45 Hunter St, Newcastle,
1880 - Refreshment Rooms
1910 - Melitos Stathis, Oyster Saloon
- 1920 – James Brothers, Groceries
1926-1930 - Reg A Baker Hairdresser and tobacconist
1941 - Sproul's Milk Bar
1948 - The Embassy Cafe, the proprietors were Constantine Karanges and Michael Peter Karanges
- 1976 Peter Douglas, was the proprietor
Currently : Today it is still The Embassy Cafe. It must be Hunter Street's last surviving authentic Greek cafe.
307 Hunter St / 49 Hunter St West / 1 Blane St Newcastle, Crown-Darby block, Argyle Building
- 1909 – J. Cotterill, Ham & Beef Shop
- 1920 – G. Grivas,Confectionary & Refreshment Rooms
- 1930 – Mrs J Tarifas, Fruiter
- 1938 – City Meat Market
313 Hunter St / 53 Hunter St West / 7 Blane St Newcastle, Crown-Darby block
- 1909 - Black & Tarefas, Fishmonger,
- Currently : - Fusion Gourmet Bites and Coffee.
315 Cnr Hunter St / 55 Hunter St West / 9 Blane St Newcastle, Crown-Darby block
- 1876 - The Tattersalls Hotel (1880 D. Brent, William Ward)
- 1900-1950 - The Royal Hotel
- 1917 - The Golden Heart Parlour ..
- 1930 it was D. McLeod, Jewelry, watches, silverplate ware, importer
- 1922 - Fish shop.
- Currently: its a Kebabs shop
<<<<< Crossing over Darby St and continuing west along Blane / Hunter Street >>>>
Southern side of Hunter St, Darby to Burwood St Block
339 Hunter Street Newcastle
- 1930-1938 - Jas Walker, Cafe
- 1945 - The Brown Derby In late 1945 Jim Kimon Kolivas bought the established tea rooms in the Fredrick Ash Block and opened The Brown Derby Cafe with brown bowler hats as lamp shades over the booths. Jim Kolivas was always on the move and had 'grand ideas' so by 1948, he sold the cafe to John Rafty, Jerry Kolivas, Jan Rafty and Nouli Maroulis. It was located near the Clarendon Hotel.
- Later : Jim Kolivas then went on to put down a deposit to buy property on the corner of Tudor and Steel Streets. It was a grocery type store with a flat above in a brick building and behind was a long weatherboard which was a single story 8 rooms used as a boarding house. This did not last long and was sold to Gerry (Gerassimos) Cominos when he wanted 'out of the purchase' and is now the site where the Tudor Inn Motel operates. The motel was built in partnership with John Raftos in 1973
- Note: Demolished after the 1989 Earthquake..
- Currently: Buildings now Demolished for the New Newcastle Court House
363-365 Cnr Hunter St / 99 Hunter St West Newcastle, Bennett & Wood Building
- 1909-1919 – Bennett & Wood, Cycle Manufacturer, ok99
- 1920 – James Walker,Restaurant
- 1920 – Mrs Maude Buffier
- 1930-1950, – J.A. Simpson, Drapers
- 1930 – W. Last Nelson, Dentist
- 1930 – Mrs A. Buxton, Cafe
- 1950 – Dinny O’Brien
- Currently: – The Blue Door Cafe
<< Crossing over Wheeler Place and continuing west along Hunter, Blane Street >>
South side of Hunter St, Wheeler Place to Auckland St Block
379 Hunter St / 109 Hunter St West Newcastle, Civic Block,
- 1909- The Post Office Hotel, (George Hudson)
- 1940 - Baby Bunting, Children's Clothing
- 1954 - Mr P Scott of the Scott Bros, a Cafe, proprietor Mr P Scott
383 Hunter St, Newcastle,
- 1932-1950 – Scott Brothers Cafe, Confectionery & Refreshment Rooms
397 Hunter St, Civic Block 1938 - The Central Tea Rooms cafe in the Civic Block virtually next to NeW UNI. Chris Gianacas proprietor and later Con & Arthur Gianacas.
Currently: Civic Lunch Delights
403 Hunter St / 127 Hunter St West Newcastle, Civic Block,
1966 - The Stardust Cafe proprietor was John Raftos. John purchased the Cafe from Nouli Maroulis. Since then it was taken over by the Theakos family and later resold to George Fellas, it was named Civic Lunch Delights. It was located opposite the old Civic Railway Station and near the Civic Theatre.
409 Hunter Street, Civic Block
- 1944 - The Victory Milk Bar
- Currently: All old Demolished, now its the Newcastle University site.
< South Crossing over Auckland Street and continuing west along Hunter Street >
South side of Hunter St, Auckland St to Union St Block
423a Hunter St / 149 Hunter St West , Newcastle,1880 – Pax, Grocer1909 – Mrs B. Thompson, Refreshment Rooms
423 Cnr Hunter St / 151 Hunter St West Newcastle,
- 1909 Solomon Green, Clothier
- 1920-1930 – Scott Bros, Fruiterer & Refreshment Rooms
- 1938 – Newcastle Confectionery Co, Manufacturers
- 1940-1950 – Sargent’s Ltd, Cake shop
425 Hunter St / 153 Hunter St West Newcastle,
- 1909 – Black Status, Fruiterer
430 Hunter Street, Civic Block, Civic Railway Station
1950 - The Railway Refreshment Rooms
449 Hunter St / 173 Hunter West St Newcastle,
- 1930 – Ways Ltd, Pastry Cooks
- 1938 – Sargents Newcastle Ltd, Pastry Cooks
- 1950 – City Fish Supply
481 Hunter St / 203 Hunter St West Newcastle,
- 1909 – Jos Lees, Fish Shop
483 Hunter St Newcastle 1925 - The Central Cafe the proprietor was Chris Gianacas. Located near the CBD Hotel next to the lane way.
485 Hunter St Newcastle
- 1920 - John Paolas, Fish Monger
501 Hunter St / 229 Hunter St West Newcastle,
- 1938 – Rex Milk Bar
- 1950 – Rogers The Jewelers.
- 1950 – Kirkham, Nursery.
- Currently : it is a demolished Vacant Block, 217
- Property Owner:D C ROGERS 2300
511-513 Hunter St / 227-229 Blane St, Newcastle,
1909-1930 – Alex Peate & Co, Tailors
1938-1940 – Kandy Kitchen, Confectionary & Refreshments
1937 – The Minerva Cafe, proprietor was Jim Zervos. My Father, George Davias, later became a partner after he had sold his Beach Fish Cafe. in and around 1959, the proprietors pulled in another partner and with the extra funds The Minerva Cafe was totally refurbished and a new counter built opposite the original one. This new counter was built using 'the state of the art' in new deep fryer cooking and exhaust systems. I used to work behind the old original ice cream counter, after school, when i was around 12 years of age, making banana splits, Sundays, milkshakes and also selling chocolates & cigarettes. Around 1966, The Minerva, the building and the surrounding property was sought after and eventually sold to the Newcastle Workers Club who were going to develop the site. Later : After the sale, (Dad) George Davias, purchased the Bull St Cooks Hill Fish n Chips Shop, which he held up and until his retirement. Uncle Jim Zervos purchased a house in Smith St Hamilton, which also included a small corner convenience store which he ran for many years. Later : Jim Zervos purchased a Cafe from Nouli Maroulis in Bourke NSW and moved to there for a few years.
Currently: it is a demolished site ready for the new Sky Apartment Tower to be built
517 Hunter St / 233 Blane St, Newcastle, Stegga’s City Emporium
- 1900 – Stegga’s City Emporium, it comprised of the Bank of NSW, a Tailor and other various retailers.1909 – Excelsior Boot Co
- 1917 – Jobs Cafe
- 1938 – Mrs C. Ruggero, Wine Salon
- 1950 – Charker, Wine Saloon Currently: – The Rock Shop
- Property Owner: MARTRAG PTY LIMITED 2300
521 Hunter St / 237 Blane St, Newcastle,
- 1930 – Davies & Herbert, Manufacturing Confectioners ‘The sweetest spot in Town’
- 1930 – Way’s Ltd, Pasterycooks.
- Currently: – Indigo Books, now vacant ok237
- Property Owner: Lou ROUSSOS & C A ROUSSOS 2300
523 Hunter St / 239 Blane St, Newcastle,
- 1932 – D. Hopper, Fruiterer
- 1936 – Devonia Cafe & Milk Bar, closed down in 1938
- Currently: – Vacant Shop
- Property Owner: MARTRAG PTY LIMITED 2304
529 Hunter St / 245 Blane St, Newcastle West,
- 1909 – Black & Capes, Fruiterers
- 1920 – Zervos Brothers, Fruiterers & refreshment shop. Proprietors were the Zervos Brothers. On the 31st Jan 1924, under the instructions of the Zervos Bros who are relinquishing the business, the premises goes to Auction
- Later: it went under quite a few different names such as: Poets Page, Mary Magpie Wine Bar, JC’s Karaoke and Charkers Wine Bar. Probably remembered most as The Gunfighters Rest
- 1930 – The National Bank of Australia
- 1938-1950 – Rogers Gift Store, China and Glass Ware Dealers. ok245 check blane
- 1979 – The Merry Magpie, Wine bar
- Currently: – Terrace Wine Bar,
- Property Owner: Terrace Property Holdings Pty Limited 2300
<<< Crossing over Union / Melville St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>
535-537 Cnr Hunter St / 253 Blane St Newcastle West (55 Hunter St West)
- 1920-1930 – Miss J. McLean, Confectionery & refreshments
- Currently: – Ray White, Real Estate
- Property Owner:R M CONNORS-DAVIDSON 2300
545-547 Hunter St Newcastle West,
- 1920 – George.E. Bell & Sons, Fruiterers
- Currently: – Peruvian Cantina
- Property Owner: DIXLOD PTY LIMITED 2302
549 Hunter St Newcastle West, 1950 it was The Quality Cafe
551d Hunter St / 259 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1936 – The Premier Cafe
- 1950 – The Sweet Spot
- 1951 – Clive Fry’s Delicatessen
- Currently: – The Subo Restaurant.
- Property Owner:I AND L CATALOVSKI SUPERANNUATION PTY LIMITED 2292
559 Hunter St / 265 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1920 – Adam Adams, Fruiterer
- Currently: - INNX, a space for co-creation and collaboration
- Property Owner: THE STUDIO (NEWCASTLE) PTY LTD (Unit 1) 2291
<<< South Crossing over Devonshire St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>South side of Hunter St, Devonshire St to Steel St Block
565 Hunter St / 269 Blane St Newcastle West
- 1932 - West End Cafe (Opposite the Tech College)
591 Hunter St / 287 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1930 Gr Floor – A. Solomon, Fruiterer, Confectionery & fancy goods
- 1958 1st floor – The Acropolis
- 1960 1st floor – Zorba’s Tavern, proprietor Nick Gerakiteys
- Property Owner: Integrated living Australia Limited 2333
607 Hunter St / 301 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1932 – Standard Wine & Spirit Co.
- 1938-1940 – Shepherd’s, Refreshment Rooms & Cake Shop
627 Hunter / 317 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1948 Peter Galanis of Galanis Bros Fruiterers, proprietors
631 Hunter / 319 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1940 - The Pinnacle, Cafe
<<< Crossing over Steel St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
647-649 Hunter St / 331 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1909 – William J Lane, Greengrocer
- 1930 – T. Norman, Confectionary & Refreshment Rooms
- 1932 – S. Stefanoff, Confectionary
- 1938 – The Olympic Milk Cafe, opp the Palais, Proprietor in 1941 was Steve Barboutis of the Barboutis Bros.
- Currently: Part of the Empire Hotel site, demolished in 2003 to become The Onyx Apartments
651a Hunter St / 333 1/2 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1909 – Edwin Field
- 1930 – The Strand Cafe, (C Kamines) proprietor was Steve Barboutis ?
- Currently: Part of the Empire Hotel site, demolished in 2003 to become The Onyx Apartments
Barboutis ? was the The Olympic Milk Bar and The Empire Cafe one and the same cafe Currently: Part of the Empire Hotel site, demolished in 2003
Hunter St Newcastle West in 1931 was The Empire Cafe, proprietor was Steve
657 Hunter St / 339 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1920 – Mrs E. Llewellyn, Fruiterer
- 1930 – Way’s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
- 1938-1950 – Sargent’s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms & Cake shop
- 1970 – Morries Magic,Leather goods Manufacturing.
- Currently: AKK Asian Groceries
On the 1st August 1935 Red Funnel Fisheries came up for sale, so Gerry Cominos and Chris Papas bought in with a 50% partnership.
Later : By 1940 it was owned by Catsicus & Pandos
The Oceanic Cafe was purchased by Jim Litsa on the 14 Aug 1944. Steve Arthur Kontalis. was the manager.
Later : By the 1st June 1948 all the shop fittings were auctioned as the cafe ceased trading. It was located near the Bank Corner and 4 doors east from the Royal Theatre
659 Hunter St Newcastle West 1926-1927 – The Oceanic Cafe, Purchased by Gerry Cominos, in partnership with Chris Pappas. (brother to Nick Papas and Keka Scott) and another Ithacan, Mr Kaminis from Stavros. This was Gerry Cominos's first shop. The Oceanic Cafe had been trading since 1921. It specialised in fresh fish that were supplied by Red Funnel Fisheries who were wholesalers.
1920 - Costa Theakos, Fishmonger
Currently: it was the site of Chesters Menswear and now it is Asian Grocery store.
663 Hunter St / 345 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1951 – The Manhattan Cafe proprietor was Michael Karanges, located left side of the Royal Theatre.
- Currently: The Tattoo Studio.
671 Hunter St / 353 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1909 – James H. Philpotts, Draper
- 1920 – Way’s Ltd, Refreshment Rooms
- 1930 – Foyer, The Soda Fountain.
- 1930-1950 – The Royal Refreshment & Confectionary Rooms.
- 1942-1950 – Theo’s Milk Bar, Theo Rafty proprietor. Located next door to the right of the Royal Theatre. Theo Rafty in 1936 of 10 Bruce St cooks Hill (Theo arrived in Australia in 1937) the store was demolished and a new building is present there today
- Theo Rafty in 1936 of 10 Bruce St cooks Hill (Theo arrived in Australia in 1937) the store was demolished and a new building is present there today
- Currently: it is Lifestyle Financial Planners
673-675 Hunter St West / 355-357 Blane St Newcastle West,
- 1883-1920 – Gilbert Bros, Coach Builders, Undertakers and Furnishers
- 1930 – Royal Cake Shop
- 1938 – Slack’s, Refreshment Rooms
681c Hunter St Newcastle West, Built over Cottage Creek, At the old tram Stop,
- 1915-1918 – West End Soda Fountain, G Newey
- 1919 – D.G. Valentine, Confectionery
- 1921 - Denis Koutsouvelis, Refreshment Room
- 1931 - The Bank Corner Cafe the full contents of the The Bank Corner Cafe where auctioned after 6 months of trading.
- 1938 the proprietor was George Grivas.
- 1944 - Bank Corner Fish Cafe. the proprietors where Stanly Levendis and Peter Dallas.
- 1946 - Peters Bank Corner Cafe
- 1950 - La Plaza Fish Cafe
- Currently: it is an empty store,earmarked for demolition to expose Cockle Creek
<<<<< CROSSING COTTAGE CREEK BRIDGE & BLANE STREET ENDS >>>>>>>
683 Hunter St Newcastle West, Bank Corner / Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
- 1920 – Thomas Jack, Fruiterer.
- 1932 – D. Gibson, Fruiterer.
- 1938-1950 – Ritz Milk Bar. The Proprietor was Michael Shannos. then later in 1948 the proprietors were Peter Scott and Theo Rafty.
- Currently: it is the Adult Book Store. The building was owned by Theo Rafty.
- Property Owner: G RAFTY & C M RAFTY 2303
689 Hunter St Newcastle West / Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
- 1909 – James Bone, Grocer
- 1920 – J.H. Philpotts & Son, Grocers
- 1920-1938 – Thomas Jack & Son, Fruiterers
- 1950 – The Florida Milk Bar
- Currently: – Foley’s Pianos
- Property Owner:I J LINDSAY & S R LINDSAY & M P MORELLO 2300
693 Hunter St Newcastle West / 09 Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
- 1930 – The Majestic Refreshment Rooms
- 1932 – Blue Bird, Refreshment Rooms
- 1950 – A Dod & Company Dry Cleaner’s
703 Hunter St Newcastle West / 19 Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
- 1909 – Mrs Ann Ford
- 1920 – Grallilis & Gianoulis, Fruiterers
<<< Crossing over National Park St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>><<<
739 Hunter St Newcastle West / 45 Charlton St / 19 Hunter St Wickham,
- 1920-1940 – Foggitt Jones Pty Ltd, Dairy Produce, Ham & Bacon Curers, Canned Pork. Tel 765
- Currently: it is 3 of 3 new town houses
- Property Owner:J K WATERHOUSE & M A WATERHOUSE 2001
Crossing over Stewart Avenue and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>
789 Hunter St Newcastle West / 87 Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
1930-2018 - The Cambridge Hotel1950 - West End Milk Bar, also known as the Parthenon Milk BarAround the 1970's it was owned by Jim Zervos.
813 Hunter St Newcastle West / 107 Charlton St / Hunter St Wickham,
- 1932 – Mrs J. Woodward, Store
- 1950-1952 – M. Andrus, Fishmonger
<<<<< Crossing over Tudor St and continuing west along Hunter Street >>>>>
South side of Hunter St, Tudor to Overhead Bridge Block
<< END OF the SOUTHERN BLOCKS OF HUNTER St / BLAINE St/ CHARLTON St >>START OF THE NORTH side of the street BLOCKS
to be continued..... (as i find more information and time)
By Spero Davias - 2012 - 2019
SHORTLIST OF CAFE'S AND THEIR PROPRIETORS
- California Cafe. 1930, Arthur Sikiotis, Paul (Polydoros) Paxinos
- The Wattle Cafe 1926,
- Vienna Cafe Kurt Picardi, Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas, Arr 1928
- Canberra Cafe 1929
- Shipmates Clem Ashford
- The Australian Cafe 1877
- Kosciusko Cafe 1942, Basil Stavros, John Rafty
- Pacific Cafe 1950, Chris Sofianos, Stan Tsohadsis
- Moccadore Cafe 1949, Denes Koutsouvelis
- Vogue Cafe 1947, Alexander Zeppos, Peter Sourlos,
- Oxford Cafe, 1921, Theodore Comino
- Paragon Cafe 1947, Theodore Comino
- Beach Fish Cafe 1944, Agapitos Montiadis (James Morris), George Davias
- Cosmopolitan Cafe 1905, Mr Zograff Hresto, Jas Cofteros, Denes & Denes
- Grand City Oyster Saloon1890, The Rafty Brothers
- Coffee Inn 1940, Nicholas Scott
- Hungry Johns 1970, John Argiris
- The American Bar Cafe 1891
- The Refreshment room 1894 Peter Paxinos
- The Railway Cafe 1926, Peter Paxinos
- Jerry's Fish Cafe 1941, Gerasimus Grivas, Charlie Roussos
- Monterey Cafe 1944, Con Rolf
- Milk Bar / Fruit Shop Telemahos Paizis
- Omonia Club 1943, Stanley (Stathis) Leventis
- Scott's Milk Bar 1947, N Scott
- Brazil Fruit shop George Lekatsas
- Brazil 81 Milk Bar John Raftos
- Central Greek Club 1942
- Victoria Cafe 1916
- Continental Cafe John (Yianko) Rafty
- The Matara Gourmet Bar John (Yianko) Rafty
- Arthur's Fish Shop Michael Magripilis, George Roussos
- Toni's Cafe Michael Shannos
- Treasury Cafe Theo Milas, Con Zavitsanos
- The Cosmopolitan Cafe 1936 Babis Bonis, Andrew Kulidas
- Astoria Café Michael Shannos, Jerry Kolivas and Chris Stelianos
- Niagara Cafe, Angelo Bourtzos, Michael & Nick Karanges,
- George Peter Kostakes, Theo Karanges, George Velissaris
- No 2 Astoria Michael Shannos, Speros Benas
- Confectionery shop 1914 Payzis Brothers
- Basil's Cafe Peter Kotteakos.
- Havana Cafe John Barlas
- Majestic Cafe M. Shannos, Nick Scott, Gerry Cominos,Chris Pappas, Jerry Colyvas, Trevor Paxinos, Con Raftos
- Myola Cafe 1920,
- Arthur's Fish Shop 1942, Michael Magripilis
- Lyric Cafe 1916, Paxinos and Zervos
- The Havana Cafe, 1948 John Barlas
- Ritz Milk Bar 1936, Theo Rafty, Michael Shannos, Peter Scott, John Rafty.
- Scots Corner Speros Paizis
- Victoria Cafe Nick Scott, Speros Payzis
- Cafe de Paris
- The Crown & Anchor Cafe
- Greys Cafe 1907
- Marble Bar Cafe 1916
- Rudy Rico Jerry Cominos jnr
- Rudy Rico Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas, Arr 1928
- Red Funnel Fisheries, Gerry Cominos, Peter Cominos, Chris Pappas.
- Hotentasty Grill Bar Cafe 1946
- Sproul's Milk Bar 1941
- The Corona Cafe 1964, Nick Gerakiteys (cont)
- Embassy Cafe Constantine Karanges, Peter Douglas.
- Brown Derby Jerry Kolivas, John Rafty, Nouli Maroulis
- Stardust Cafe John Raftos
- Central Tea Rooms cafe Chris Gianacas, Con & Arthur Gianacas
- Minerva Cafe Jim Zervos, My Father George Davias
- Olympic Cafe Steve Barboutis
- Empire Cafe Steve Barboutis
- Oceanic Cafe Gerry Cominos & Pappas, Jim Litsa
- Theo's Milk Bar Theo Rafty
- Manhattan Cafe Michael Karangis
- Bank Corner Cafe George Grivas
1946 FIRE IN CAFE, Hunter Street... Beach Fish Cafe. Fat coming in contact with lighted gas iet caused a fire in the Beach Cafe, Hunter-street, late night cook, Henry Alfred Thornton, kept the flames in check until firemen arrived. Cook's Hill Brigade put the fire out with a chemical extinguisher before it had caused any, damage. The premise was occupied by George Davias and James Morris
UNLICENSED RADIOS. 29 Mar 1954, Beach Fish Cafe.. Inspector J.B. Marley. of the Postmaster-General's Department. proceeded against a defendant on charges of having failed to produce licences for their radios. George Davias of Hunter Street, Newcastle, was fined £2/10/, with 12/ costs for the same offence. Mr. A. Nathan, for the defence. said the radio was taken over with the goods and chattels in a cafe and the licence was overlooked.
LICENSING COURT. 12 May 1905
Katherine Mary Carroll, licensee of the Burwood Inn, Merewether, was granted a renewal of her publican's.license.
Zograft Hresto, 41 Hunter-street, Newcastle, applied for a transfer of his colonial wine license to Sophianos Denes & Cutsuicles Denes. The application was opposed by Sub-inspector Goulder, on the ground that the present holder of the license was-bankrupt, and his cstatp had passed to the official assignee. A second ground of objection was that a transfer could not be held under two names. - The case was adjourned until May 18 1905, in order that the official assignee might be Informed.
New company registered yesterday included the following:
The Niagara, Limited, capital £20,000 in £1 shares. To acquire and take over as
a going concern the business of confectioners, pastrycooks, and cafe rooms carried
on by Mesars. George Peter Kostakes and Mr. Michael Peter Karanges, at 112 and 114 Hunter street, Newcastle. First directors, George Peter Kostakes and Michael Karanges.
KOSTAKES--The Funeral of the late Patron of our brotherhood, George Peter Kostakes. will take place to-day, Friday. For further particulars see family notice. -
NICHOLAS SCOTT. President
GREEK COMMUNITY OF NEWCASTLE. 25 May 1951
17th December 1929 .... I, DEMIETRE K. KOLIVAS, of Greek Nationality, born at Ithaca, of Greece, and resident over live years in the British Empire, now residing at 650 Hunter-st.West, Newcastle, N.S.W., intend to apply for' naturalisation under the Commonwealth Nationality Act, 1020-1023.
NEW CAFE IN HUNTER ST.... 22rd June 1939 ... Devonshire Coffee Lounge
Modem Service Facilities: Something new in the way of cafe and entertainment services for Newcastle will be presented with the opening next Monday night of the Devonshire Coffee Lounge in Hunter-street, between Bolton and Newcomen Streets,
THE business will be carried on on two floors. On the ground floor It will offer the latest in modern Ideas and design for cafe service. On the floor above is situated a commodious lounge room with a dance floor. This room will be available for card, afternoon tea, wedding, birthday, or other parties and functions, such as supper dances.
Features of the design are the artistic and comfortable furnishings and a number of innovations for the convenience of, and service to, customers. The policy of the management, which already has an established business In Hunter Street at The Coffee Inn. is to offer high-grade service to its To this end nothing but the highest grade commodities are used, and the three kitchens on the new premises will ensure the freshness and ready supply of baking and catering needs.
Carried out in Australian silver ash wood, the cafe furnishings on the ground floor offer something new in appearance, design and comfort. A variety of new loge layouts is incorporated, Including full-round seat toge with seats that lift up when entrance to the loge is required, and racks underneath for hats and parcels. Artistic Effects Particular attention has been paid to the artistic toning of the furnishing and reflects. Tame tops are .Inlaid and loge and lounge chairs are comfortably upholstered. ' Nor has the comfort of the staff been neglected. Special accommodation is provided, including retiring rooms and hot and cold showers.
The shop, bringing cakes made from eggs fresh daily straight to the buyer, and a novel coffee-bean container.This coffee container has a large rounded plate glass front and is
divided by plate glass partitions, each containing a different kind ol coffee bean. By a feeding device at the back the required quantity may be drawn from a continuous tash supply and after a 'visible' sale the customer may have the beans freshly ground at the counter.
Wide Menu Range Part of the policy of the management has been to purchase, everything required for the furnishing and fitting of ~ the cafe in Newcastle .Special tariffs operating already in The Coffee Inn will be maintained. A cup of tea or coffee may be had 3d. and tea or coffee with biscuits for 4d.
Cuisine arrangements ensure a comprehensive additional Polished floors throughout are an attractive and artistic addition. A handsome stairway leading from the cafe to the lounge room tones in with the general design. Lighting effects have been carefully arranged to avoid glare but to maintain efficient illumination.
CAFE ON FIRE, 1936 Cosmopolitan Cafe
Diners Make Hurried Exit. The dining-room on the upper floor of
the Cosmopolitan Cafe, Hunter-street, Newcastle, was damaged, and the kitchen
behind it gutted by fire at the lunch hour yesterday. The outbreak caused
consternation amongst about 25 men and women seated at tables in the room.
Although they hastened to the narrow stairway leading to the pavement with
all possible haste, the room was cleared without any suggestion of panic.
Chris Stavros (left) Basil Stavros (right) at the Kosciusko' Cafe
CAFE OPEN AFTER MIDNIGHT.- Kosciusko' Cafe, 10 Mar 1942
Basil Stavros and John Rafty trading as Kosciusko' Cafe, in Hunter-street.Newcastle, were charged that, not being licensed within the meaning of the Liquor Act, they kept open their shop for the transaction of business later than midnight.
Stavros was eliminated from the case and Rafty was fined £2, with 12/ costs. The Police Prosecutor (Sergeant W.G. Wallogel said the cafe was found open at 12.35 a.m. on February 18. Thy proprietors had been warned about having kept it open after midnight on six or seven occasions.
Mr. J. M. Ruggero, for defendant said it frequently happened that men entered the cafe before midnight and wanted to sit there an hour for a meal. The proprietors experienced a lot of troubled manded grills. It was unwise to try to get them out. That had been tried and "the place was smashed up."
UNDERSIZED FISH, Red Funnel Fisheries... 3rd Oct 1935
Charge of having consigned for sale, on August 1, fish of less than the prescribed length. Inspector J. Irwin said that on August 1 1935 he examined six cases of fish at Red Funnel Fisheries depot at Newcastle. Thirty per cent. of the fish in the cases were undersized. Jerry Cominos, fish shop proprietor, and manager of the Red Funnel Fisheries depot, said that 15 cases were consigned to the depot from the Red Funnel Trawlers Ltd., of Sydney. He took over the management of the depot that day, and paid for only 13 cases. The fish depot at Newcastle was not a branch of the Red Funnel Trawlers Ltd. The cases opened by Inspector Irwin were included in the consignment from Sydney. He paid for the fish by cheque.
WIDENING WHARF ROAD (Red Funnel Fisheries) 4th Feb 1939
A further move in the general scheme to widems Wharf-road near boat harbour was made yesterday, when the Greater Newcastle Council began to demolish the building formerly leased to Red Funnel Fisheries. The Public Works Depart has already widened an adjacent section of the road. It remains for the council to demolish the building, and fill in boat harbour.
"RUDI RICO," £40 a week artist on Tivoli Theatres, is at present a member of an anti-tank
regiment in a Northern camp-a plain gunner, drawing 6/ a day.
Grit and determination is the story behind Rudy's rise to fame. A Newcastle boy, he overcame many obstacles to attain his ambition. The ground work for his Hollywood debut was laid in Newcastle. He left the city with just sufficient money to buy a boat ticket to America; and came back with his name on the headlines of theatre bills.
Wholesalers Approve Fish Market 9th Jul 1943
Wholesale fishmongers in Newcastle approve the establishment of a Government fish market controlled by Greater Newcastle Council.
The Manager of 'Red Funnel Fisheries (Mr. Gerry Cominos ) said he looked to the time-he realised it would have to be a postwar project--when Newcastle would have a fish market equipped with up-to date cold storage. Fishermen would have a central depot, and would know each day the approximate cash,.value-of their hauls, he said. It was unlikely that
their returns would show an appreciable difference, but they would be selling fish under proper supervision.
Fish had been scarce for so long that he could see no early prospect of cheap fish for. the public,,but under municipal supervision ..they would be sure of getting fresh fish Mr. J. Neal, proprietor- of the wholesale and retail fish markets in Steel-street. said a considerable quantity of fish was bought by dealers from fishermen and sold 'direct to householders without supervision as to quality or condition. With the establishment of the ,markets, that system of trading would be abolished. The retailer would be given a reasonable opportunity to estimate his requirements, and the public would be protected.
TRAWLER FOR SALE 14 Dec 1946
TRAWLER, 5 mths. old, for sale. operating now. full equipment; nets, Insurance, maritime certificate. etc. Discussions with the owners, Red Funnel FisherIes. Wharf-rd. Newcastle
Hollywood Dancer Now Tank Gunner (1941)
In 1027 a young Greek, Demetrios K.Kolivas, better known as "Jim," was working in a refreshment shop in Scott street. Seventeen years old, the boy had ambitions. He had arrived from South Africa a few months before and was keen to take up dancing or stage work of some kind as a career. While in receipt of wages in Newcastle he studied. He learnt singing, voice production, elocution and dancing. Madame Rachel Le Patourel was his singing teacher. His first dancing lessons were taken in a room over the Coop store.
That was in 1928. While he was studying, the boy made up his mind to go to Hollywood. He mentioned the matter to his friends. Some encouraged him, others told him he would never do it. They had seen him dance; they knew he had something in him, but Hollywood, home of highly paid stars; bubbling over with talent, discovered and undiscovered. It was too "rich," young Jim's friends thought, for an obscure Newcastle youth.The friends, however, reckoned without the determination that belonged to young Jim.
Money was his trouble. He wanted sufficient to take him to America. An opportunity offered for higher wages in a shop at Aberdeen, near Scone. Jim took it; worked for a while, and then set out with a basket selling fish for himself. Hard work and long hours at last gave him sufficient funds to purchase his boat ticket to America. He travelled via New Zealand and eventually landed in San Francisco-a stranger in a strange land, without a cent in his pocket. The lad wandered from door to door looking for work.
The depression was at its worst then. There was no work in America for strangers. Anything going was quickly claimed by local men. Hungry and footsore, the lad sold news papers in the streets. Then be accepted a position washing windows; later he was a prop boy in Paramount Studios, Hollywood, and afterwards became a waiter in 'the Brown Derby, one of the world's most famous cafes. In this place he served the film stars. The brightest lights in the film firmament were his customers. He became personally acquainted with them. For months the boy was a waiter, but all the time he kept up his studies, and eventually found the ideal partner for his dancing numbers. He called her. "La Tosca." He changed his own name for stage purposes to "Rudy Rico." In the months ahead Rudy and La Tosca were to become household words in America, and eventually in Australia.
The couple trained together whenever they had any spare time; they perfected their act, and at last were offered work in Hollywood. Fame Spread Fearing that they would not "go over" until their act was perfected, the young couple declined the Hollywood contract but went to the provinces. They made their first stage appearance-at Rockwood, Illinois, and created a sensation. Fame was theirs overnight. Still declining to go to Hollywood, the couple played other small towns. Their fame spread. When they eventually accepted a contract Hollywood blazed their names across front pages.
They were in the big money. They played in pictures with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Rudy was a stand-in for film actor George Raft on two or three occasions. The couple played in "Hollywood Revue," "Flying Down to Rio," "La Cucaracha," "Last Days of Pompeii," "The Devil Rides on Horseback," and in short subjects.
At the height of their fame representatives of Tivoli Theatres saw them. They signed a contract to appear in Sydney at £40 a week. That was in May, 1940. Rudy had not completed that contract when he was called up for military service. He gave his address as Newcastle, was passed into a draft for a northern camp. At the moment he is a gunner mi an .anti-tank regiment.
Rudy claims Newcastle as his home town. His twin brother is manager of the Majestic Cafe. in Wolfe-street, and his sister, Mrs. Nancy Comino, lives in Jenner-parade, Hamilton South. In camp Rudy is a popular personality. He is willing to assist in camp entertainments, and has already taught the boys the Ishumba aod "La Conga" dances.
1950's The café’s Greek proprietor, Jerry Kolivas, Jerry was originally from the island of Ithaca. Newcastle’s Greek-run food-catering establishments of the early twentieth century were dominated by Arcadians and Ithacans.
CAR OVER NEAR GOSFORD Sunday. 15 Aug 1938
SLIGHT INJURIES Hamilton Man's Escape
Michael Peter Karanges, of Kemp-street, Hamilton, and the Niagara Cafe, Newcastle, escaped with slight injuries to the head when his car turned over on the Pacific Highway, four miles on the Gosford side of Peat's Ferry today. The car was badly smashed. Mr. Karanges, who was the only person in the car, had a remarkable escape. When he was brought into Gosford by a passing motorist he was found to be suffering from slight head Injuries. He left for Newcastle after being treated by a doctor.
GREEK SHOPS MAY CLOSE (25 Oct 1944)
Celebrate Nation's Liberation Thint.v Greek should in the city cafes, milk bars, fish shops and fruit shops-are expected to close on Friday to celebrate the liberation of Greece.
The cafes provide meals for several thousand people daily.Other restaurants are unlikely to
be able to meet the increased demand because of auota restriction and staff shortage.
One proprietor said: "We cannot produce sufficient food for nonnal demands. If all the Greek, shops close, hundreds of people will 'not get a midday meal."
The President of the Greek community (Mr Karanges) said the Greek shopkeepers did not wish to put the public to any inconvenience.The decision to close their shops was made because the day was regarded as a solemn one rather than ecallino for celebration.
Msr. Lorean?es said that Greeks could not he compelled 'to close their shops. They would be invited to close. He believed that all would comply with the request. Mr. Karanges added thant a proposal to .close the shops between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. had been rejected.
A procession , in which the military includinG AWAS-and possibly a naval detachment will join with Greek citizens, will leave the City fall at 11 a.m. and march to the Post-office where a wreath will be placed on the memorial. An Air Force salute will be given from the air. This will be followed by n tankas yivin service in the City Hall conducted by the Dean of Newcastle (Very Rev. A. E. Morris).
The Story of the Niagara Café, Nick Karanges and Olive May Watts
as told by Noula Trypas
The Niagara café in Hunter Street, was established in Newcastle by Angelo Bourtzos in 1898. He had previously left the small Greek village of Vlahokerasia in the Peloponnese, for America, where he saw the American style cafes - soda fountains, milkshakes, ice cream sodas, booths etc.
He brought these ideas to Hunter Street and opened the Niagara Café. He also brought out my uncles, Theo and Michael Karanges to work in the café. (Theo was his godson)
My father, Nick Karanges arrived in Australia with his siblings, Con and Georgia in 1936. Nick and Con went to work in the Niagara café in Hunter Street with their two older brothers, until they were able to leave and open their own establishments.
My mother, Olive May Watts, came to Newcastle with her widowed mother from Mullumbimby and started working at the Niagara Café as a waitress.
At that time the café was the place to go. I'm told it was very glamorous.
My Dad, Nick worked in the downstairs section where all the sweets and chocolates were made. One day Olive saw Nick coming up the stairs with a big vat of milk on his shoulder, and that was it. She said to herself, "He' s the one for me!"
A long courtship followed and the language barrier was overcome. They both left the Niagara when Dad took over the Central Café in Broadmeadow.
World War 2 saw Dad serve in New Guinea, while Mum helped in the running of the shop together with Dad's brother, Theo.
They married on Dad' s return from the war.
ELEVEN CLAIMS, TWO GRANTED 24 April 1942
Eleven applications for exemption from service in the defence forces, on the ground of hardship, were heard by Mr. C. G. Carr-Boyd, S.M., at Newcastle Summons Court yesterday.
Two applications were granted and four were adjourned. The others were refused. Captain Coop appeared in opposition to the applications.
An adjournment to May 21 was granted in the case concerning Nicolas Karatzas. Karatzas said he was a cafe proprietor in Newcastle, He arrived in Australia 5½' years ago. For four years he was a medical student at Athens University. He had bought the right to sell sweets In the Century Theatre.Broadmeadow. It was his intention to get enough money to continue a medical course at Sydney University. He was paying £10 a week for the selling rights at the theatre. He had served two
years In the Greek Army. Two brothers were in Australia. It cost him £1100 to set up in business at the theatre.
By Captain Coop: He did not know there was a law of moratorium to protect the rights of soldiers. He was single and 33 years old.The hearing was adjourned to Thursday in the cases of John Raftopoulos, and BasIl Stavronopoulos.
Mr. H. L. O'Neill. Messrs. Johnson and O'Neill appeared for Barbouttls, Karatzas, Thompson, Raftopoulos, Scott, and Smyth; Mr. J. M. Ruggero represented Stavronopoulos.
NEWCASTLE GREEKS' PATRIOTISM 31 Oct 1940
Young Men Eligible for Service The Greek community in Newcastle is excited and intensely patriotic. At the Greek Club, in King-street, yesterday, members eagerly scanned newspapers for news of the war. "We are pleased that Greece is resisting Hitler and Mussolini," members declared. "Greece will never surrender her independence. She will fight for it."
The Secretary of the Greek Brother hood in Newcastle (Mr. N. Scott) said that they were awaiting advice from the Greek Consul in Sydney. There would he a meeting of the Greek Brotherhood in Newcastle on Sunday to discus the position.
Mr. Scott said that there were some younger members of the Greek community in Newcastle who were eligible to he called to the colours, but not many. Most of the Greeks there were older, and had lived hero for many years. "Greece will never give in," Mr. Scott said. "Greeks would rather die fighting against great odds for their independence
in the past, and they will fight determinedly again," The Greek Brotherhood in Newcastle has a membership of about 100. Mr, M. Karanges is President.
GREEK BROTHERHOOD 19 Oct 1933
Successful Inaugural Picnic.
Members of the Greek Brotherhood Newcastle express satisfaction at the success of the inaugural. picnic held at Blackalls, About 150 people were present, and a thoroughly enjoyable day was spent. The President of the Brotherhood, Mr. G. Kostakes spoke of the aims and work of the Brotherhood, and said that he was very pleased to. see such a happy gathering, with old fellowship. The Treasurer, Mr. N. Scot supported his remarks, and expressed appreciation of the generosity of all who had 'provided prizes and assisted with other donations. The organising work was carried out under the direction of Messrs. Scott (Treasurer) and G. Koutsoucos (Secretary), and other members of
the committee were Messrs. B. Tsolaklis and N. Kastanos.
The Greek Brotherhood of Newcastle 1949
PETER GALANIS, Secretary.
Open on the Sabbath.
Con Brettos, for keeping his fruit shop open on the Sabbath, was fined 5s, and 4s 4d
ooste; and A. Mirabetto and George Paxinos, it being their second offence, of a
similar nature, were fined £2, or 14 days
SHOPKEEPER REMANDED.03 June 1941
Theo Rafty, 26, shopkeeper, was remanded to June on a charge of having been In Pestel-lane, Newcastle, on Saturday for betting. Mr.A. E. L. Street appeared for Rafty.
Fined For Price breaches "of Prices regulations" last year Tue 20 Jan 1948
OVERCHARGED ON DRINK
Michael Peter Karanges, part proprietor of the Embassy Cafe, Hunter street, was fined £10. on each of two charges of having overcharged for a fruit drink, £10 on each of two charges of having offered a fruit drink for sale at more than the fixed price, and £5 on each of two charges of having failed to exhibit a notice setting out the correct prices of drinks. In each case he was ordered to pay £2/14/ costs. Similar charges against Constantine Karanges, part proprietor of the cafe were withdrawn.
A Prices officer said that Karanges had sold and offered for sale fruit drinks for 6d, the correct prine of which was 5d. Price lists were exhibited on tables in the cafe, but not at the counter. Mr. J. Braun, instructed by Mr. Buble. for Karanges, said the charges could be traced to a complete lack of cooperation between the Prices branch and retailers.
Another case In which James George Morris, proprietor of the Beach Cafe, Hunter.street. and an employee, are charged with having overcharged- for a pound of fish on May 16, was adjourned to to-day. Mr. Adrian Curlewis, Instructed by the Crown Solicitor, prosecuted'-In each. ease. "
BRAWL IN CAFE; £50 Loss 7 June 1952
Three garbage cans had been filled with broken glass and china after a brawl in his cafe, James Kolyvas said in Newcastle Court yesterday. Kolyvas, proprietor of the Brown Derby Cafe, Hunter street, said he estimated the damage at £50. He was giving evidence against Jacob Tordjman, 27,seaman, who had been charged with having maliciously injured a telephone, a plate glass window, six gallon jars, four syrup jars, three dozen cups, four dozen plates, three table tops, one dozen glasses, a quantity of chocolates, a white coat and a knife.
Mr. R. A. hardwicke, S.M., remanded Tordjman till June 30 on £20 bail, to allow further evidence to be given. "Like Madman"
Kolyvas said the' trouble started when Tordjman spoke to a waitress in a foreign language, I told Tordjman the management allowed the staff to speak no other language than English,
"Then, like a madman, he got up, knife and fork In his hands, brought them down and smashed the table top," Kolyvas said. "He said he could speak several languages and no one would stop him." "When I told him I would have to call the police, he threw a big jar of lollies at me. I ran for my life. The jar hit a stack of plates and saucers, and broke dozens of them." Kolyvas said Tordjman then started throwing Jars. "He pulled out the telephone and hit a man on the templo with it," he said, "He hit a waitress with an unbreakable glass, and the girl fainted, People in the cafe ran for their lives. It was a panic,"
Members of his staff struggled with Tordjman in tie gutter outside the shop. Tordjman kicked one of his staff away and got into n taxi. Kolyvas said three garbage cans had been filled with broken glass from the cafe. Sergeant O'Neill said Tordjman told him threo men were involved in the fight. The other men had broken things,too.
A large crowd quickly gathered in Hunter-street last night to watch a brief but spectacular fire which damaged a building in Patey' lane, off Newcomen-street
Brigades from Cook's Hill, Hamilton and Tighe's Hill last night saved surrounding offices from destruction when fire broke out in a building at the end of Patey's Lane, off Newcomen-street, Newcastle.
A section of the building used as a store by the Astoria Cafe and its contents were severely damaged by fire and water,
Premises adjoining, occupied by Mr. Tom Brown, wholesale merchant, and the contents were damaged by water.
The roof of a small church beyond Brown's premises was damaged. There was also water damage in one of Heiron and Smith's store rooms, which is reached by stairs from Hunter-street, but is below the level of the damaged building.
The extent of the damage to the properties had not been estimated last night.
Starting at the end of the lane way, around which is a nest of weatherboard buildings, small offices and agencies are located, the fire at one stage threatened the whole block.
to be continued..... (as i find more information and time)
By Spero Davias - 2012 - 2019
SHORTLIST OF PROPRIETORS, THEIR ORIGIN and ARRIVAL DATE.
- Arthur Sikiotis, from Stavros, Ithaca Greece
- Paul Paxinos, from Stavros, Ithaca Greece
- Peter Paxinos
- Alexander Zeppos from Tripoli, Greece, Arr 1923
- Demetrios (Jim) K. Kolivas, from Ithaca Greece, Arr 1927
- Basil Stavros, from Ithaca Greece
- Chris Stavros, from Ithaca Greece
- John Rafty (Yianko), (Ioanis Raftopoulos) from Kioni, Ithaca, Greece Arrived 1939
- Chris Sofianos, from Lesvos, Greece.
- Stan Tsohadsis, from Lesvos, Greece
- Denes Koutsouvelis, from Stavros, Ithaca Greece
- Stanly Levendis, Ithaca Greece, Arr 1909
- Peter Sourlos,
- Gerry (Gerassimos) Cominos, from Lefki, Ithaca Greece, Arr 1924
- Peter Cominos, from Lefki, Ithaca Greece
- Chris Papas
- Nick Papas
- Agapitos Montiadis, (James George Morris), Island of Symi, Greece
- George Davias, from Lefki, Ithaca Greece, Arr around 1923
- John Lekatsas (Lucas) Kalivia, Ithaca Greece
- George Lekatsas (Lucas) Kalivia, Ithaca Greece
- Basilis Tsolakis,
- Zograff Hresto,
- Sophianos Denes
- Cutsuicles Denes
- Gerasimos (Jerry) Grivas,
- Jas. Cofteros
- Nicholas Scott, Ithaca Greece
- Charlie Roussos, from Cyprus
- Con Rolf,
- Telemahos Paizis,
- John Raftos, from Agia Saranta, Ithaca Greece
- Nick Raftos, from Agia Saranta, Ithaca Greece
- Michael Magripilis,
- George Roussos, from Cyprus
- Jerry Comminos, from Lefki Ithaca Greece
- Michael Shannos,
- Theo Millas,
- Con Zavitsanos, from Ithaca Greece
- Stanley (Stathis) Leventis, passed away 1954
- Con Scanos
- Babis Bonis
- Andrew Kulidas
- George Lekatsas (Lucas)
- Jerry Kolivas, from Ithaca Greece
- Chris Stelianos,
- Angelo Bourtzos, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- Michael Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- George Peter Kostakes,
- Con Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- Nick Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- Michael Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- Theo Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- Con Karanges, from Vlahokerasia, Greece
- George Velissaris
- Nick Velissaris
- Steve Gounis,
- John Scoufis,
- Peter Kotteakos,
- Spiro Payzis,
- John Barlas,
- Speros Benas
- Chris Stelianos
- John Barlas
- Trevor Paxinos
- Con Raftos
- Speros Paizis
- Demetrios (Jim) Kolivas
- Nick Gerakiteys
- Constantine Karanges
- Michael Peter Karanges
- Nouli Maroulis, Ithaca Greece
- Chris Gianacas
- Con Gianacas.
- Arthur Gianacas
- Jim Zervos from Stavros, Ithaca Greece
- Peter Galanis
- Steve Barboutis
- Jim Litsa
- Theo Rafty from Kioni, Ithaca Greece
- George Grivas
- Peter Dallas
1909 THE NEWCASTLE MILK SUPPLY CO.,
*WHOLESALE & RETAIL MILK CONTRACTORS.
Will Supply you with PURE MILK, straight from the Farm, at 4d per Quart. Also fresh cream daily. Patronise the RED MILK CARTS,-and study your own interests.
Shops, Hotels, and Shipping supplied, Note the address. Post card, or 'Phone 412, will have prompt-attention.
HOYLE & LEWIS,: NEWCASTLE MILK SUPPLY CO., DARK'S ICE WORKS, A.A. CO.'S WHARF.
Most of the owners and proprietors from the establishments as listed above were born and raised on the Greek island of Ithaca. The majority were my uncles and if not, it was respectful in Greek culture to address anyone that was related in some way as an Uncle.
Being the Electrician in the family and later The Electrical Contractor, I was involved in helping out Uncles & Cousins with their Electrics Problems in the majority of the Cafe's in the region from the 1960's onwards..
Thanks go to all our contributors to date.....
Spero Davias, Angelo Coots, Greg Lucas (Chegs), Noula Trypas, Angelo Tsiaousis, Thora Constantinou. and also to Catherine (Nina) Raftos for her fantastic contribution.
A Special thanks for her contributions must go to local historian, Pamela Marley
The Newspaper Jurno's at the time where not the best spellers of Greek Names. Most are shown as printed in the newspaper clippings, some are updated.